Valve - type noise at 2,500 rpms specifically 2006

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyjack

Reaction score
Hey everyone, possible problem, hopefully no big deal. My 2006 has 7,500 miles and its developed a loose valve , tapping kind of noise at between 2,300 to 2,500 rpms. No bad manners, no obvious problems other than the noise. Any ideas?

Welcome!

I don't believe that the noise comes from a loose valve!You can't hear it if this happens in these modern engines.

As bluesdog said a video could help a lot..

Cam chain slap? Possibly from faulty cam chain tensioner. Noise typically heard on right side of engine.

If not that, I have no ideas. Perhaps its just the bike protesting the fact that it has only seen an average of three tanks of fuel per year for the last nine years! I seriously doubt its a "loose" valve.

If there is noise until the thermostat opens it is probably related to the Air Injection System. The fuel injectors can make a ticking noise which is loud enough to be heard at lower rpms, while the ticking may still be there at higher rpms you can't hear it. Also quite likely is a spark plug cap which isn't fully seated. My #3 spark plug cap wouldn't stay clipped on the plug and made a similar noise (until I tweaked it a bit to keep it tight).

Thanks for the input guys. I'll try the video thing, and I appreciate the other ideas. I think I'll do the oil/filter, air filter, NGK Iridiums, and then check again. Cam tensioner seems unlikely, considering when/how it occurs, but we'll see.

Is this bike new to you? Just curious how a bike has less than 1000 miles per year for the past 9 years.

Good luck with your investigation - I agree that at 2500 RPM, the CCT is a less likely culprit. Usually at idle.

• As I recently learned from experience, (not my bike) a loose engine mount bolt can cause a low rpm rattle very similar to the sound of a loose cam chain. Just for grins, check torque on your upper and lower engine mount bolts.
And let's not even mention the shifting problems associated with having your engine tweak on the loose bolts, taking the entire drive train out of alignment. That was very interesting.

Is this bike new to you? Just curious how a bike has less than 1000 miles per year for the past 9 years.Good luck with your investigation - I agree that at 2500 RPM, the CCT is a less likely culprit. Usually at idle.
Yes, just picked it up from second owner. Obviously very lightly used by both po's! Bike is immaculate, I've just got to iron this out, and then start piling on some miles.

...Bike is immaculate, I've just got to iron this out, and then start piling on some miles.
I don't see that you have anything to iron out on a 7,500 mile FJR. The noise you hear should be of no consequence unless the original owner broke something. I know of nothing that can be broken causing a tapping noise over just a 200 rpm band
smile.png

You can use a metal rod or a long screwdriver as a mechanic's stethoscope to listen to the engine. Put the rod/screwdriver against the engine case and then put your ear to the rod, you can hear everything going on. Placing the rod against the cylinder head will let you hear the cams & valves; placing it on the timing cover will let you listen to the cam chain; placing it on the exhaust header where it leaves the cylinder head will let you hear the exhaust valves; on the throttle bodies will let you hear the fuel injectors......

Last edited by a moderator:
You might inspect the CCT to see if it has a green or a blue dot on it. If it has neither dot, go ahead and replace it with one of the new ones. Even if that doesn't solve your problem, it would be about the most significant thing you'd need to do to "sort" the bike. Also consider checking the age of the tires, as they could be originals.

my 50k '06 occasionally ticks at idle-hot or cold..has blue dot CCT, valve check twice...no apparent reason for the slight tick and I don't worry about it...best guess is an injector.

Inside there is a chain where moves the oil pump.Perhaps the tick noice comes from there some times in some bikes and has to do with the wearing and slacking of any chain..My opinion.

Many thanks to all of you for the input. Just got the bike back from Yama, covering some recall stuff. BTW, on Long Island, I took it to Maximum Motor Sports in Riverhead. They sorted two recalls (ignition switch and ground spider), gave me an inspection and sent me on my way without one word of trying to upsell me on the 8k service. Amazing. Anyway, got it home, and tossed in new NGK Iridiums. When i lifted the tank and removed the heat shield, the little rubber cap on #4 intake was broken off at the top. Or so it looked. Upon closer inspection, on a flat, 2"x3" area below it i saw two empty acorn shells and some really small droppings. Aparently, a mouse ran out of food and decide to gnaw off the tip of the cap, causing a huge vacuum leak. all other hoses/wires look just fine. So I took the opportunity to do my TBS (love that tool), capped off all the little caps, and let me tell you, it runs incredibly sweet. BUT, the ticking is still there! CCT inspection is next. After that, i may just ignore it, lol. Still trying to do a video!

That goes against everything I've heard about them over the years. Glad you had a good experience. Good luck with the tick hunt.

BTW, on Long Island, I took it to Maximum Motor Sports in Riverhead. [A]nd sent me on my way without one word of trying to upsell me . . . . Amazing.

The job of the CCT is to keep 'sufficient' tension on the cam chain. As the chain wears it gets longer, hence the misnamed chain stretch. Under spring pressure the CCT will extend to keep pressure on the cam chain as it gains slack. The FJR cam chains show close to zero wear at 100k miles. It would be unusual2 for the CCT or chain to be a problem on such a low mileage bike. I think the shortest life I've ever heard of was some poor schmuck who's '04 FJR CCT gave up in under 40k miles and it went out with a BANG.