Vandenberg....shmandenberg

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdolma

Master chef for Kebobs & Hummus extraordinaire
Reaction score
Sunday, Jan 21 2007, get up around 8 am, open garage door...again nothing but cool crisp weather and an ultimate sunshine.

Check in the wifey, she is all cool, got her own plans...thus, I make my own plan...

A quick glimps on the roads to take, I make a plan to ride to Vandenberg AFB in California.

I decided to take a long way to get up there....

Put the cold gear on, sattelite radio playing eclectic music, camera all charged up...and hit the road. As soon as I get off my drive way down to the main street, an 07 passes my with no bags...anyone here? :unsure:

Took the 57, to the 210 west bound to the 5 north and 118 west. Got off at the 23 and headed north. It got windy and cold. Cops with gaydars hiding in Moorpark. Rode up the 23 and after a few twisties, pulled over for the first photo op next to some good socal orange trees

P1050198Medium.jpg

P1050200Medium.jpg

The blowing wind created some dust storm right when this race bike showed up..

P1050199Medium.jpg

Then made a left onto 126 (west bound) towards Santa Paul and the up to Ojai.

P1050201Medium.jpg

P1050202Medium.jpg

P1050203Medium.jpg

The made a right onto 33 north (northwest) and stopped for a couple of pics. 33 is a great hwy by the way and the first half has got some new asphalt.

P1050204Medium.jpg

P1050205Medium.jpg

P1050206Medium.jpg

P1050207Medium.jpg

At the top of the 33, got cold and there were some icy spots on the hwy. So 2 race bikes goin up, but they decided to turn back, either it was cold or lack of fuel.

P1050208Medium.jpg

P1050209Medium.jpg

P1050210Medium.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the twisties I just rode on :)

P1050211Medium.jpg

P1050212Medium.jpg

It was pretty cold up here

P1050213Medium.jpg

View goin downhill

P1050214Medium.jpg

P1050215Medium.jpg

33 became an almost straigh shooter after the hills..

P1050216Medium.jpg

The pose of great success!!

P1050217Medium.jpg

Right before the 166

P1050220Medium.jpg

P1050221Medium.jpg

Self portrait

P1050222Medium.jpg

Found an FJR in the haystack

P1050223Medium.jpg

Took the 166 all the way to 101 Santa Maria where I had some food and some 5bucks coffee.

Passed the AFB and onto the 101 for the typicall BigDolma FJR sunset pics Pacific Ocean

P1050225Medium.jpg

P1050226Medium.jpg

P1050227Medium.jpg

P1050228Medium.jpg

Right mirror sunset

P1050231Medium.jpg

Left mirror sunset

P1050232Medium.jpg

Until next time

P1050234Medium.jpg

Took the 101 then off to some twisties then onto home.

Total miles 491 :)

vandenberg.jpg

You were in my back yard and you didn't even call? :( Sniff. Actually, your timing may have put you near Jamala Beach, where I was with some other riders... Sorry to have missed you.

Next time, then?

My grand parents live in Lompoc, Grand Father was Airforce. I have riden many of those roads on my bicycle and two years ago on my FJR on a trip to California. With the highs of 15 here and the snow, your great pictures just make me want to get out and ride even more.

What was the road condition on Hwy 33 after you crested the summit and headed down into Cuyama Valley? When there recently it was heavily covered with red crushed volcanic rock dust, in response to reports of black ice.

Yup, towards the top, there were some areas of crushed something or another in the "shadowy" areas. It was icy but by riding over the tire marks made it easy though.

The patches were about 100 yards or so, and they showed up about every 5 miles. Otherwise...all good :)

Glad u guys/gals enjoyed the pics.

Armand

You were in my back yard and you didn't even call? :( Sniff. Actually, your timing may have put you near Jamala Beach, where I was with some other riders... Sorry to have missed you.
Next time, then?
oh shoot....yup, next time will do just fine TWN :) Hope your ride was just as good and safe.

Me planning a trip up to Morro soon for lunch from so cal. Wife things I am nuts to ride over 200 miles to have a bite to eat. My excuse was, "but they use good quality cheeeeeeeeeeese!"

Yup, towards the top, there were some areas of crushed something or another in the "shadowy" areas. It was icy but by riding over the tire marks made it easy though.
The patches were about 100 yards or so, and they showed up about every 5 miles. Otherwise...all good :)

Armand

Next time, then?
oh shoot....yup, next time will do just fine TWN :) Hope your ride was just as good and safe.

Me planning a trip up to Morro soon for lunch from so cal. Wife things I am nuts to ride over 200 miles to have a bite to eat. My excuse was, "but they use good quality cheeeeeeeeeeese!"
Let me know when you plan to ride up there for cheese, if available I will make the run also, I love Cheese ALMOST AS MUCH AS RIDING.

Looks like a great ride. The pictures really help me get through the winter. Thanks for sharing.

Armand

Next time, then?

Lemme know when!

Armand

Next time, then?

Lemme know when!

So very nice pics there. I really like the FJR in front of the hay. "It would take this much hay to feed this many horses." ;)