Vermulen Blows Me Away

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

throttlejockeyTJ

throttlejockeyTJ
Reaction score
I have seriously been watching MC racing since the 70's. Did anyone watch the Magny Cours (MC) WSB Races? Chris under braking has been interesting to watch. In the previous to Magny Cours Race the old 'King' of slide jobs 'Nitro Norry' Haga was completely out classed by Chris braking ability. At 'MC' track the cameras captured Chris consistantly doing something I have never seen any MC racer do. He did what would be impossable in a 4 wheel vehicle. I will try to explain. A rider coming out of a corner can light up the rear tire and be in a 2 wheel drift off of the apex exiting the corner. What Chris was doing without smoking the tire was drift 15 to 20 feet (away from the edge of the track in the braking distance) towards the apex while under braking. Under braking he was doing what power oversteer does out of a corner. He was drifting sideways under braking without abusing his tires. It kind of looks like 'moon walking' under braking. Frigging Unbelievable! Racers have been holding the bike under braking with the tail off to the side, called 'backing it into the corner'. Chris was drifting sideways under braking going into the corner. DAMN! :dribble:

TIVO captures of the braking zone Race 2 noted were at 22, 31, and 38 minutes into race

How Chris does in his Moto GP at Philips Island depends how well he gets the bike set up. He looks like Hondas new 'Hope' to be able to ride with Rossi. Chris will also be on tires he has no experience with.

I thought this was very impressive also. But like the commentators mentioned, I'm not sure it helped him get around the corner any better. It might have even been undesirable since after braking, it leaves you shoved towards the inside rather than set up outside where you typically want to be. It might have been a defensive maneuver to prevent Lansi from sliding up on the inside under braking.

There are lots of sliding technques that look great, but don't help, and sometimes hurt, getting around the track faster.

Nevertheless, it was unusual and very impressive.

- Mark

He was doing it in both races. He dusted the field by over eight seconds in the first race. Yes it could be used as one Hell of a defensive move. He was going in towards the apex, but came off of braking at the right spot to make an proper exit. Lanzi whom was dogging him in the second race was being gapped under braking. It is possable it hurt exit speed, but with proper placement it left no where for Lanzi or anyone to attempt a pass coming off the corner. In the previous track, Corser was trying to pass Chris. He wasn't able to and when congradulating Chris was in disbelief Chris was so fast with a blistered junk front tire. Without the commentator setting up timing measures I pretty much dis-missed his comments. I don't think he was realizing what he was seeing. The other Commentator said Chris & Valentino, are alot alike in personality and raw desire to win. He also compared Danny Pedrosa similar with Sete's personality. 'The Games Afoot'

Last edited by a moderator: