Slip sliding away, oh slip slip slippy, add me to the crash club!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taff . . . another well wish from a local biker. I'm reading this half kitted out for a ride up to the Skagit River. Got me looking hard at the thermometer and those bright blue skies.

Glad you are okay. I appreciate you sharing as I learn a lot from each of these (but still make lots of mistakes). Keep us posted on "cherry's" recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear you walked away and are Ok with minor damage to your bike. As for me I'm still healing. Another surgery tomorow ro remove the internal splint from my right wrist and I am close to walkinf on my own - without the walker (another few weeks?). Regards-

Good to hear you walked away and are Ok with minor damage to your bike. As for me I'm still healing. Another surgery tomorow ro remove the internal splint from my right wrist and I am close to walkinf on my own - without the walker (another few weeks?). Regards-

Stop for snow..... I am so stupid for not stopping.... memo to self....must stop for the white stuff...
Glad you came out of it OK. Weather sucked here too over the weekend, -25 below air temps with windchill in the -40 to -45 below range. Weather not fit for man or beast.

Damn, hate to hear about the get off, but glad you are alright. Also glad to hear the bike is mostly ok as well.

I don't know if it will help but,

I don't ride if it's less than 38 deg. (It drops about 10 deg.s at the north end of Seatac Airport.)

In the rain or anything else that is slick I don't use the front brake..... I can almost handle the rear slipping but if the front goes so goes the rider.....

Like I said it may or may not help Just my two cents..

I'm glad your okay....

Wow, you get yourself fit and well before you ride again.

Thanks for the reply to my post.

Ride safe.

I don't know if it will help but,
I don't ride if it's less than 38 deg. (It drops about 10 deg.s at the north end of Seatac Airport.)

In the rain or anything else that is slick I don't use the front brake..... I can almost handle the rear slipping but if the front goes so goes the rider.....

Like I said it may or may not help Just my two cents..

I'm glad your okay....
Normally my cut off temperature is about 37F but on a clear day with no moisture you can easily ride below that temp remaining clear of shaded areas of the road.

The FJR brakes are linked so even if you apply just the rear brake, some pistons on the front are applied whether we like it or not.

On other bikes I have owned the rear and front are not linked (my preference).

Thanks for the reply to my post.

Taff . . . another well wish from a local biker. I'm reading this half kitted out for a ride up to the Skagit River. Got me looking hard at the thermometer and those bright blue skies.
I am pretty well versed in the weather forecasting area due to my job in aviation.

As we should all know ice can form at or around 39F on raised sections such as bridges. This is the reason why German cars are programmed to show the "snow flake" on the instrument cluster at 39F.

As I always say, any knowledge is good knowledge, learn from previous mistakes but don't be a statistic if you please.

Ride safe.

Soon after this a young woman, who played pro football, came over to help me push the bike to a nearby hotel.
Taff,

Did you at least get her number?

Glad you are OK and wishing you a quick repair...
Although I am single and looking for a SOH, this young lady was so kind but Cherry would be in a whole bunch of hurt if she was to mount my steed :yahoo:
By "steed", I presume you mean your bike. :)

Glad yer relatively okay...hope the bike gets fixed up soon.
Yep, steed=Cherry the bouncing,sliding bikeette :yahoo:

The ABS was not functioning due to ice
When I first got the bike, I was going down a small side street, and saw that the last 50 yards to the stop sign was one big ice sheet. I came to a stop before it, put it in neutral, and straddle walked to the sign. There were several points that I felt the ABS pulse. It will kick in on ice.

Where it *won't* kick in is engine braking. My guess is that you were compression braking more than you thought.
Good point, but we all learn something from this tale, especially me, stupid fooking me (slip sliding away).

Maybe I will change my forum name now to "stupid, slip sliding away". :rolleyes:

Stop for snow..... I am so stupid for not stopping.... memo to self....must stop for the white stuff...
wanna see my picture on the cover

wanna buy five copies for my mother

wanna see my smilin' face

on the cover of the Aerostich catolog

(link)

Sorry to hear about your get-off. The weather is very upredictable around here. Just last year I got stuck in hail on south I-5 in Federal Way riding home from work mid afternoon. There was a WA state patrol cop out on his bike also. I just kept it slow and smooth and made it home just fine.

This morning was a nice brisk 21 degree ride into work right past where you went down (I work at Seatac airport). I didn't see any ice anywhere because it warmed up enough yesterday to dry the roads before freezing again last night. But as others have mentioned, it can freeze at 37 degrees as I found out earlier this winter on the way to work. Pulling into work off 188th in Seatac, there's a bend in the access road and my FJR's back end started going sideways due to water running into the roadway and freezing. Luckily I was able to recover without going down. Another guy riding in after me wasn't so lucky and went sliding on the side of his CBR. So below 37 degrees and wet roads and my cue to drive the truck.

I'm really surprised the ABS didn't work better for you. Unless it was a compression braking situation, in which case I would only expect the back end to slide. Things like this happen so fast it's often hard to figure out what really happened.

I hope you're back on the road again soon. I'll be looking for you riding my Cherry's twin sister.

Sorry to hear about your get-off. The weather is very upredictable around here. Just last year I got stuck in hail on south I-5 in Federal Way riding home from work mid afternoon. There was a WA state patrol cop out on his bike also. I just kept it slow and smooth and made it home just fine.
This morning was a nice brisk 21 degree ride into work right past where you went down (I work at Seatac airport). I didn't see any ice anywhere because it warmed up enough yesterday to dry the roads before freezing again last night. But as others have mentioned, it can freeze at 37 degrees as I found out earlier this winter on the way to work. Pulling into work off 188th in Seatac, there's a bend in the access road and my FJR's back end started going sideways due to water running into the roadway and freezing. Luckily I was able to recover without going down. Another guy riding in after me wasn't so lucky and went sliding on the side of his CBR. So below 37 degrees and wet roads and my cue to drive the truck.

I'm really surprised the ABS didn't work better for you. Unless it was a compression braking situation, in which case I would only expect the back end to slide. Things like this happen so fast it's often hard to figure out what really happened.

I hope you're back on the road again soon. I'll be looking for you riding my Cherry's twin sister.
Thanks for the reply :clapping:

My cut off is around 38F etc, but the bike went dwon so fast it is hard to tell what really (ice) made me and Cherry bite the dust.

Look forward in seeing Cherry's twin on the road as well!

Ride safe.

Glad to hear your ok....another reason for ATGATT..

I know that bridges can ice at 38 or so, but usually snow will not stick on roads, esp. asphalt, unless the temp including wind chill is under 35...especially going from day to night where it is cooling off (as opposed to first thing in the morning).

I believe that the thermometers on the FJR's register about 5 degrees high...

I am glad you are ok after the spill. Now, with a little bondo and some elbow grease that Cherry is gonna look like new.

Just remember to be more gentle next time you pop a Cherry. :jester:

Oops, did that come out loud?

Glad to hear your ok....another reason for ATGATT..
I know that bridges can ice at 38 or so, but usually snow will not stick on roads, esp. asphalt, unless the temp including wind chill is under 35...especially going from day to night where it is cooling off (as opposed to first thing in the morning).

I believe that the thermometers on the FJR's register about 5 degrees high...
I think you are correct with regard to the bike thermometer, however my XM weather (Seatac airport close by) almost showed the same current temp.

How often the XM weather actual is updated I really don;t know as there is no date with reference to the generated weather data.

I am glad you are ok after the spill. Now, with a little bondo and some elbow grease that Cherry is gonna look like new.
Just remember to be more gentle next time you pop a Cherry. :jester:

Oops, did that come out loud?
I really did "pop her Cherry" didn't I!!!!!!!! :yahoo:

Glad your ok bike can allways be fixed sometimes we cant . The snow looks great when riding on a bike thats about it .