VFR1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Capt kirk the dilithium crystals in the muffler have melted the bodywork!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ll wait for the rumored VFR1200 Tourer (2011?) discussed here. That could be a winner…
Which in turn appears here, in the newsprint previously posted by Tstaff.

This article curiously mentions an early-2010 release, but I'm more inclined to believe the bike will appear in 2011, as reported by Germany's Motorrad magazine.

572721711_CHkuJ-XL.jpg

Regular or Premium fuel?

Narrow is Good (I think? :dntknw: )...but are the new crop of Honda engineers and designers All narrow thinkers?

Is that an ugly pipe or is that just Fugly?

Where's the Cat?

Dual thickness fairing? hmmm? Wonder if that means there's backup in case the outer one is scrubbed off?

I think it's good to see :eek:neeyedsmiley02:

according to that site the bike does 177 miles on a tank of gas, yuck and the bags look like they are extra.
R
That's a deal killer.
Yes, but that is the sport bike version. I'd imagine when Honda comes out with the Pan replacement even if based on this engine, you will see it tuned differently and maybe larger tank and/or better gas mileage, just my .02.

doctorj

No one can miss the point as well as Honda can. I've been drooling for a 1000+cc VFR since I rode the first EFI 800 and thought it was a nice bike, but hardly exhilarating on the throttle. So I've read this as being a new VFR, new ST, and a new XX all in one bucket, but it's none of those things. It has too small a tank for distance riders, too much shaft drive for sport riders, way too heavy for anyone; and you know it's going to cost at least a used dirt bike more than an FJR. It's like they threw six darts but all they hit was a triple 3 and the floor.

Dear Honda, build this

90vfr750.jpg

with a liter engine and 450 pounds at the most. Wheels (erm, front wheel :) ), brakes, and forks off the CBR-600RR (or hell, dig up some nice stuff from the F4i). And price it so I could at least buy a used one for less than a new SV-1k.

The VFR looks like has less rake angle too.
That's also because of the different style front suspension. IIRC, the "K" bike uses a Hassock style front suspension while the Honda uses fork tubes that we're used to seeing.

If that is the bike Honda is using to replace the ST-1300 (Pan European) it seems they are leaning more toward the sport side of the equation. Either way it won't be bad for the consumer.

The only thing it looks like it would be good for is smuggling illegal immigrants in that huge ugly exhaust. 177 miles to a tank and no bags? Also, it would look ridiculous with a taller windshield.

edit.... If i wanted a crotch rocket id buy a Gixxer 1k or an R1. Not this shaft driven heavy mess.

The exhaust is an abomination , the looks are a bit strange with the stacked fairing. I do like the dual clutch option as I have a permanently messed up left wrist . All things considered , I'll wait for the Gen 3 FJR

With BMW, Kawasaki and Honda all upping the Ante in the sport touring segment, I would imagine Yamaha would respond in 2011.

VFR1200 Sighting! - Today at the Rock Store, there were about 4 VFR1200's, all piloted by Japanese Honda riders. It was a surprise to see the bike already. There were about 6 Japanese riders and even the best speaking one could barely speak english, so the conversation didn't go into any depth.

While I would really prefer to have that V4 powerplant in my prefered sport touring bike, the VFR1200 won't be my next bike for two reasons.

1) The fairing is too small, fine for SoCal riding, but not for when it gets cold and rainy.

2) The passenger seat doesn't look like it would work for all day passenger comfort, it looked to much like a typical after thought seat that you see on a R1 or other sportbike. Up high, and shaped for looks not comfort.

The bikes were not running hard bags, but in pictures it looks like the hard luggage is way small.

If the VFR1200 "T" version comes out, then maybe I will be tempted to consider a change, or maybe a new ST1300 will use the motor and hopefully get a little more hard edged.

Either way, right now, the VFR1200 will not get me and a passenger accross the country in a enough comfort to warrant a change. Maybe if I used the bike solo, then the VFR1200 might be more interesting, but I think that the bike will not work as well with a passenger compared to the FJR.

It will be interesting to read some comparo's.

Sat on it at the DC bike show and the ergonomics didn't work for me. Liked the looks, but it didn't fit for being on a bike more than 2 hours/day. Then read one of the magazine articles that just came out and there's NO way I could live with that small of a tank. iirc, they were only getting 180-ish miles from the whole tank!!!

Latest posts