"Vibration" While Turning/Leaning Left

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noland

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a new to me 07 AE that I have had for about 6 weeks. (~7000 miles now, meaning I have put ~1400 miles on it since purchased. I have noticed that while turning/leaning left, that the bike develops a "vibration". This may have existed when new, but as I have had to address the throttle, jerkiness, suspension setting, etc, that I may have not noticed. All those changes have made a vast improvement and both I and the bike have become so smooth lately. That's probably why I am noticing it now.

As a sidenote, I ride it every day that it is not raining, which here in Cincinnati has been just about every single day - we are about 5+ inches off for rainfall for the year.

I have checked the tires and in my opinion they are starting to "cup". I am already planning on replacing them with PR2's. That said, the bike handles perfectly and I can only imagine that the new tires will improve upon that. However, if this is occuring, why then only left and not right? As I sit here and type this, I'm thinking that as the engine is a stressed member of the frame, perhaps when I lean left, the engine becomes loaded/unloaded and I am feeling the "vibration" as a result of improperly torqued engine mounting bolts. Like I said before, the bike is smooth at all other times. I can even remove my hands and it tracks perfectly. All wheel weights are present. I inspect the bike from top to bottom every time before I ride and after. Tire pressures, leaks, lights, fasteners, fluids, etc.....

I have never experienced something like this in my 29 years of riding. Does anyone have any ideas? I want to move in a direction that will allow me to address one item at a time. That way if I change one thing at a time, I will know where the problem exists instead of changing multiple items and in the end that leaves me guessing which 'fix' worked.

Why do I feel like this is going to be so simple that I should have caught it before I posted?

Thanks!

1) Tires

2) Tires

3) Tires

Have a look at wheel bearings once you change out that front tire - unlikely, but possible. Same with re-tourquing the engine bolts.

Ross

Mine does it with worn/cupped tires. It's fine straight up, but as soon as you lean it a little either way you get a buzzing or roar lets say. As soon as new tires are installed, It's all good again!

1) Tires

2) Tires

3) Tires

Have a look at wheel bearings once you change out that front tire - unlikely, but possible. Same with re-tourquing the engine bolts.

Ross
I would second the Tires.

Oh but wait, you said yours an AE right, and the vibration is on the left side, well that's simple, the bike is unbalanced because you're missing a clutch lever :rolleyes:

Sorry man, I just couldn't resist. ;)

Thanks to all who replied. It looks unanimous! I will update once I have the new PR2's on.....

I'm on my second set of PR IIs and have noticed the tires cup, significantly after 3,000 and a minor vibe sets in at the front when leaned/turned left or right. I can also hear a thrumming when off upright. Doesn't otherwise seem to affect handling, though.

Can I add my vote for tires also?

And the probable reason for the difference during left turns is because most roads are crowned (higher in the center between the 2 lanes and slope downward to either side) which results in your bike always riding with a slight tip to the left when referenced to the level of the road.

Thanks for the comments again. And I just read the Never Ending Thread on CT's in "Darkside"! So much to consider, but I would agree with the concensus that it is the tires.