Video Camera recommendatoins

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinker

Tinker
Reaction score
Hi All: Looking for recomendations for a video camera for my 22 year old daughter. This does not make motor cycle sounds so I'm lost. All assistance greatly appreiated.

I'm no video expert, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. OK, I didn't, but I did do a little research.

We just bought a Sony Handy cam, model escapes me right now, that uses the mini-DVD. The main reason was convenience. It is easier than tape.

There are trade-offs. The best quality is HD-tape. Very expensive equipement, but high-definition quality. The next-best quality is mini-DV tape. These tapes are very small, allow easier editing, but require more PC work. Move the image to the PC, edit, burn to DVD, you see where this is going. The tapes will hold about 45 minutes to an hour, I believe.

The mini-DVD only holds 30 minutes of recording time. For our purposes, this is fine. We're expecting our first grandchild. The wife picked mini-DVD. I, of course, was leaning towards mini-DV tape. It's better quality.

But for our purposes, recording family memories, sight-seeing, vacations, boring stuff like that, mini-DVD is fine. It's better quality than the old 20 lb. VHS cameras of yester-year. And it's really easy to use. Pop in a mini-DVD, push the record button. When you're done, finalize the DVD from the menu, and it'll play in most every DVD player. That's what attracted us to mini-DVD.

That's the short version of my research. Google for video cameras and you'll get lots more. With a bag and an extra battery, we spent a little less than $700, tax and all.