Volcano Ride 2009

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blufjr

blufjr
Reaction score
Well, it is official, Windy Ridge will be open 7/4/09 and therefore a Volcano Ride will be set early October or late September. It will be a day ride and will only happen if the weather is good, so if based on the weather there will only be a 10 day notice. :yahoo: BE READY.

Well, it is official, Windy Ridge will be open 7/4/09 and therefore a Volcano Ride will be set early October or late September. It will be a day ride and will only happen if the weather is good, so if based on the weather there will only be a 10 day notice. :yahoo: BE READY.
What is this ride you speak of? Location? Route?

Interested. :D

Volcano Ride will be set early October or late September. It will be a day ride and will only happen if the weather is good, :yahoo: BE READY.
What is this ride you speak of? Location? Route?

For the past 4 years, I have put together a Volcano Ride in the Spring. The last three rides, we could not get to Windy Ridge. I thought I would change the time to the fall, with hopes that FR 99 would open.

The Ride is really just a meeting point. We meet at Windy Ridge around noon. Bring a lunch if you like or eat at one of the local areas, (Morton, Randle, Packwood, Northwoods, Cougar, etc.) and just show up. Mountain top meeting for about an hour to an hour and a half.

Usually we create rides for after the meeting to ride home, usually by way of another fun route. Prior to the meeting you can make contact with some other folks to ride to the meeting and to ride home, if you like, or you can just make up the best ride ever and do that solo.

If you are coming from a distance you might like to pick a motel at Packwood or in the Gorge and make it a two day event/ride.

That pretty much sums it up. Everyone is welcome.

Well damn. i made a trip specially to see mt st helens last month. Even knowing windy ridge was closed, i drove up anyway to the closure point "au cas ou" and took the requisite photo then looped back and took the Johnson Ridge road. And now they open it after 4 years just a few weeks after I come...!!??? It's not fair I tell you, and it was really cloudy though we saw the peak for a few minutes. Have a nice ride guys :)

562194283_w3AHs-L.jpg

562189358_4oxDV-L.jpg

Well damn. i made a trip specially to see mt st helens last month. Even knowing windy ridge was closed, i drove up anyway to the closure point "au cas ou" and took the requisite photo then looped back and took the Johnson Ridge road. And now they open it after 4 years just a few weeks after I come...!!??? It's not fair I tell you, and it was really cloudy though we saw the peak for a few minutes. Have a nice ride guys :) [
I was there with blufjr and nofreeride last Tuesday! Imagine how pissed I am (I return home this coming weekend) :angry:

Oh well...next trip :)

third weekend in September works for me. I am headed out east for the first two weekends and do not want to miss this event for three straight years.

Will likely be in either Brazil or Germany (maybe London) the middle of Sept... go third week or later if possible... not that we are assumptively voting or anything, but, you know... hint, hint... drink/coffee/tea on me... ;)

Thanks for reminding me about this ride tonight at WFO blu. Looks like the third weekend in September is popular. I'll try to get that weekend off, and as much notice as possible helps. Tentative I will go as long as schedules with work, kids, etc. can be arranged. The switch to Fall was good for me as the ride in the cold wet turned me off in years past. Hope it takes off as a major yearly event.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for reminding me about this ride tonight at WFO blu. Looks like the third weekend in September is popular. I'll try to get that weekend off, and as much notice as possible helps. Tentative I will go as long as schedules with work, kids, etc. can be arranged. The switch to Fall was good for me as the ride in the cold wet turned me off in years past. Hope it takes off as a major yearly event.
Edited:

Okay, Okay. We will start with the turd Sat as the most likely day, weather providing. (I already have a commitment then but maybe will work it out as an early one) :angry2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, blufjr & others,

I'd be up for the 3rd weekend in Sep as well. Don't think I've met any of you, My wife, FJR and I have been in the Northwest in Astoria for the last couple of years...

Please let me know as well!