Volcano Ride II

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRJeff

Reaction score
Mt. St. Helens volcano ride redux. Mother Nature blocked off some of the roads on June 10th, so we'll try again.

As long as BluFJR's map is up, we may as well reference that:

Volcano Ride

When:

Saturday August 19th

Who's Coming:

FJRJeff

Flylooper

shu

snowmonkey

650cent

And while we're at it, is anybody interested in Hell's Canyon? It's about 330 miles from Portland to Joseph. Could do a Friday run out there, grab a hotel room/cabin/chalet/whatever, ride the canyon Saturday and maybe some Sunday morning, then head back in. Not sure when the roads/weather turn out on the east side though...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mt. St. Helens volcano ride redux. Mother Nature blocked off some of the roads on June 10th, so we'll try again.
As long as BluFJR's map is up, we may as well reference that:

Volcano Ride

When:

TBD - Either August 19th or 20th, please state you're preference when you post your interest. I can do either, but don't want the date to cause people to drop out, so we can go with majority rule.

Who's Coming:

FJRJeff

Flylooper

blufjr

shu/Hollie

And while we're at it, is anybody interested in Hell's Canyon? It's about 330 miles from Portland to Joseph. Could do a Friday run out there, grab a hotel room/cabin/chalet/whatever, ride the canyon Saturday and maybe some Sunday morning, then head back in. Not sure when the roads/weather turn out on the east side though...
I'm up for the Hells Canyon run. September/early October might be a good time, weather-wise.

[And while we're at it, is anybody interested in Hell's Canyon?]

great roads that-a-way !!! I'll come down thru Rattlesnake Grade, thru Joseph and around east side of Wallowa Mtns. (sp?) Maybe a mini meet with an overnight at motel in the vicinity ??? Traffic is much, much lighter in those areas and I enjoy heading over there.

Suggestion on St. Helens: Sat seems to be a little less infested with the "tarmac terror" boys than Sundays but there would be no preferance to me on that ride/ rendezvous.

For what it's worth, Windy Ridge opened last Sunday. Road was in good shape but there is gravel in 10% of the turns.

Did you make the trip on your FJR? If so, how long is the round trip?
I got this information from PNWriders forum (link). There is a St Helens ride posted there for July 16th which I'm planning to attend. After that I will be able to give you a detailed report. But I'm figuring 10-12 hours round trip from the Everett area.

Cool, thanks. I think I'm going to have to wait until late Sept/early Oct but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

jeff,

just so you know, hollie's out, as boeing will have her in taipei for a few weeks. she gets overtime, i get arm exercise and all the housework. ahh, who am i kidding, i do all the housework already. retired too early. anyway, i'm still planning on coming. i am old and slow, so i'll see you guys at the top.

shu

jeff,
just so you know, hollie's out, as boeing will have her in taipei for a few weeks. she gets overtime, i get arm exercise and all the housework. ahh, who am i kidding, i do all the housework already. retired too early. anyway, i'm still planning on coming. i am old and slow, so i'll see you guys at the top.

shu
Sorry to hear it, but thanks for the update... I figure I will revisit this and pick a date post WFO.

I'd really like to do the St. Helens ride but it's wedding season & we're pretty much booked solid every weekend (we're DJ's).

I'm free over the Labor Day weekend!!!!

Can any mods change the subtitle of this thread for me?

Change the "Date TBD" part to "Saturday, August 19, 2006" please.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
:( Sorry, but I have a golf tournement on the 19th and won't be able to make it. Being that this is a local event, we should do it twice a year. The location is perfect for for both Portland and Seattle areas and also the Tri Cities. I have a trip to Canada on the 12th-13th, golf on the 19th, and The Gather at Cresent Lake on the 26-27, but I am wide open in September and October. October is a great time to do this ride as long as it is before the 10th or so.

I usually do this ride around August 19th, as this is a time to pick huckleberries. You need to allow at least 2 hours of picking time to get a quart of goodies. Make sure you bring a container to do so. The huckleberries are pretty good just south of Wakepish 3.9 miles. Take the gravel road about 1/4 mile to the east and park it, that way you can pretty much leave the gear on the bike and no one will see it.

Have a great time and if any of you want to ride these roads any other time, I'm usually up for it. :yahoo: