Waking up from a long winter's nap... in England!?!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euro-Feejer

Reaction score
Just moved from the southwest corner of Germany to the south coast of England. I will really miss those Black Forest roads, and the easy access to Switzerland and the French Alsace. Just before we landed over a week ago, England had the worst snowy freeze of decades, and things were a mess... They just aren't prepared for that. Now, the weather seems to alternate between rainy and almost-sunny days, with temps reaching about 40-45F.

The Feejer is ready to leave hibernation for a January run (sat in the garage of a friend/colleague for over 3 months while I was in the USA on interim business between the German exit and UK entry).

IMG_7106.jpg

Escaped traffic on some back roads as I left Worthing.

IMG_7108.jpg

A few estates along the way looked pretty grand.

IMG_7110.jpg

Open countryside called the "Downs", though they are the high point above the coastal city of Worthing.

IMG_7111.jpg

Some playful sheep romped around a pile of hay.

IMG_7112.jpg

Quaint little village of Steyning. Just beyond here, I was surprised by a big puddle that totally soaked my feet.

IMG_7114.jpg

Cottages here and there along the highway.

IMG_7115.jpg

The Arundel Castle, just 20 minutes from my new home.

IMG_7117.jpg

Village of Arundel

IMG_7118.jpg

One final view of Arundel, before hitting the faster highway back to Worthing.

IMG_7121.jpg

Gorgeous shots. Gorgeous country. Just imagine how it would look bathed in sunshine.I hope you'll continue to share your rides and photos with us.

Thanks, Euro!

Michael, that WAS sunshine, by English standards. It wasn't actively raining.

Love the pictures, just a little bit of nostalgia there. Do those parallel yellow lines on the side of the road mean motorcycle parking only? :unsure: Or perhaps MC parking for the purpose of taking cool pictures. :D

As the weather improves, I hope you will be able to tour the Yorkshire Moors, Yorkshire Dales and the Lake District. All are spectacularly beautiful.

Gorgeous shots. Gorgeous country. Just imagine how it would look bathed in sunshine.I hope you'll continue to share your rides and photos with us.

Thanks, Euro!

Michael, that WAS sunshine, by English standards. It wasn't actively raining.

Love the pictures, just a little bit of nostalgia there. Do those parallel yellow lines on the side of the road mean motorcycle parking only? :unsure: Or perhaps MC parking for the purpose of taking cool pictures. :D

As the weather improves, I hope you will be able to tour the Yorkshire Moors, Yorkshire Dales and the Lake District. All are spectacularly beautiful.
I wasn't really parked legally... I'm learning that they are a little tighter here on motorcycle parking than some other European countries, where you see bikes pulled up on sidewalks to park (not very common in the UK).

I wasn't really parked legally... I'm learning that they are a little tighter here on motorcycle parking than some other European countries, where you see bikes pulled up on sidewalks to park (not very common in the UK).
LOL! I remember it well. Talked my way out of the ticket that an officer was writing, when I was sixteen. I'd pulled my bike up onto a piece of black top, at the corner of a building. While it wasn't actually sidewalk, it wasn't a real parking area. My saving grace that there was no sign (on an area barely big enough for my moped).

Is there still discrimination against motorcyclists? Andy and I went to the local rec center to play tennis, and were denied entry. Motorcyclists were not welcome. We could have played, if we walked there. We were turned away from several campsites, who didn't accept motorcyclists.

A generation earlier, my parents used to go to the same cafe by the beach, every Sunday when they borrowed Uncle's car. One weekend, they couldn't use the car so they went on Dad's bike. Not allowed into the cafe that day.

Thanks for the photos.

The Brits sure have the waterproof gear down to a fine art.

I get over now & then but to live there I'd sure need my electric jacket & gloves.

Nice pics. Some day I would love to get to Europe to see all the unique, and history filled sites.

Excellent shots, keep them coming! We used to ride from Weybridge, down the A24 and back on the A29. Sure do miss it....

Awesome pics! Feel free to share more!

Ditto!

My mother was born and raised in Surrey, and although I've never been to Britain, I really enjoy pictures of it. Maybe some day I'll get to see it firsthand.

How are you adjusting to riding/driving on the wrong (left) side of the road? :eek: Has to be way different. Ride safe, Mate.

Do those parallel yellow lines on the side of the road mean motorcycle parking only?

No, those double yellow lines mean no parking at any time. Single yellow mean parking is allowed between certain hours.

Thanks for the photos, they remind me of when I first learned to ride and the villages and towns I found in East Anglia

Last edited by a moderator:
I FINALLY got around to reading this thread.

WOW!

"Thanks for an entertaining morning." he said, patiently waiting for another ride report.