Wally Smoothness Map And Pciii Install Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XLR8

Friday Driver
Reaction score
I'm about ready to get one of these PCIII gadgets. :lol: Will I experience sportbike like smoothness and throttle response? That would be most excellent.

Anyone using the Wally Smoothness map with their Holeshots? I hear Dale Walker has a map but I couldn't find it on his site. Which one is better?

Also, what exactly are we looking at in the second JPEG here:

Install Page

I'm just trying to figure out where this is at so I can orient myself before I begin. Is it under the tank? How far do you have to lift the tank?

OK, that's it. Pretty sure I can handle this install. I'll pick it up from SportBikeEffects.com

Thanks for the links that show up in the searches everyone...

---

So my roman like numerals turned to i in the topic title. Embarrassing.

-r

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm about ready to get one of these PCIII gadgets. :lol: Will I experience sportbike like smoothness and throttle response? That would be most excellent.
Anyone using the Wally Smoothness map with their Holeshots? I hear Dale Walker has a map but I couldn't find it on his site. Which one is better?

Also, what exactly are we looking at in the second JPEG here:

Install Page

I'm trying to figure out here his is at. Is it under the tank? How far do you have to lift the tank?

OK, that's it. Pretty sure I can handle this install. I'll pick it up from SportBikeEffects.com

-r
What you are seeing is under the tank. You need to snip the tye wraps so that you can disconnect two connectors, one of them being hidden by the white one in the picture. You have to lift the front of the tank a little to get room to work.

I am using Wally Kilburgs map, and the bike really runs well. I just installed my PCIII this last week, so if you need some hand holding (figuratively only), I can help.

I have Leo Vince slip-ons, but I really doubt that there would be much difference with the Holeshots. All these slip-ons are pretty much straight through pipes.

The beauty of these PCIII's is that you can change the map in a jiffy to try another one.

Thanks for the info. I just placed my order. I've been wanting to try this for a while now.

-r

It's funny. I installed the Wally smoothness map and my FJR didn't run well. I have no idea why since so many do. I installed the Dale Walker map (Ihave HoleShots) and it ran better and smoother but still only ok. I had Ivan do a custom map and it's much smoother and more powerful, but pops on deceleration.

Go figure.

It's funny. I installed the Wally smoothness map and my FJR didn't run well. I have no idea why since so many do. I installed the Dale Walker map (Ihave HoleShots) and it ran better and smoother but still only ok. I had Ivan do a custom map and it's much smoother and more powerful, but pops on deceleration.
Go figure.
Yea but that map is protected intellectual property so quit taunting me! :D

Besides you payed money to have him make it for you right.

-r

The decel pop might be a leak at the exhaust flange on the header. The leak would provide fresh air to combust remaining mixture in the hot exhaust. This could also be caused by the AIR system doing essentially the same thing.

It's funny.  I installed the Wally smoothness map and my FJR didn't run well.  I have no idea why since so many do.  I installed the Dale Walker map (Ihave HoleShots) and it ran better and smoother but still only ok.  I had Ivan do a custom map and it's much smoother and more powerful, but pops on deceleration.
Go figure.
Yea but that map is protected intellectual property so quit taunting me! :D

-r
Read between the lines in what you quoted from me! (folks from the FZ1 board may be able to help....)... :ph34r:

Like yanktar, I installed the Smoothness map and the FJR did not run well ... I installed the Dale Walker map (available on the Power Commander web site, BTW) and it runs very well. A real improvement from pre-PCIII. I can tell that there is still some fiddling around I can do to improve even more.

Interestingly, I had e-mailed Dale when I purchased the Hole Shots and he recommended the Smoothness map over his own.

Also, during my install of the PCIII, it took awhile to figure out that the connectors show are UNDER the gas tank. It isn't noted anywhere (that I could find). After tilting up the tank, it took all of 10 minutes to complete the entire installation.

Does anyone know if I wanted to purchase the "Ivan" map, would he sell it ? At a reasonable price ??

FlyinW

I have pop on decel also, especially coming down from high RPM in lower gears. I have Leo Vince slip-ons with the baffles removed (option by removing a screw). I have no other mods to the intake or exhaust side of the motor.

I am considering a PCIII from mdracingstp.com, and disconnection of the O2 sensor. Any suggestions on the map I sould use? Does anyone have a Leo Vince map? Has anyone done a slip-on mod and just disconnected the O2 sensor? I noticed on the micapeak site the the biggest jump in HP and torque came after this combo mod. There was an incremental increase after a custom map was created.