Want to really see what all is behind you?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puppychow

RAWR
Reaction score
Non Distorting mirror receives patent.

OPTO-NondistortingMirror.jpg

Excerpt:

A subtly curved side mirror that eliminates dangerous blind spots for drivers has been issued US Patent No. 8,180,606.

Invented by Drexel University mathematics professor Dr. R. Andrew Hicks, the new mirror dramatically increases the field of view with minimal distortion by using a mathematical algorithm that precisely controls the angle of light bouncing off the curving mirror.

"Imagine that the mirror's surface is made of many smaller mirrors turned to different angles, like a disco ball," Hicks said. "The algorithm is a set of calculations to manipulate the direction of each face of the metaphorical disco ball so that each ray of light bouncing off the mirror shows the driver a wide, but not too distorted, picture of the scene behind him."

US regulations dictate that cars coming off the assembly line must have a flat mirror on the driver's side. Curved mirrors are allowed for passenger-side mirrors only if they include the sentence "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear." Because of such regulations, Hicks' mirror will not be installed on new cars sold in the US anytime soon. The mirror could be manufactured and sold as an aftermarket product that drivers and mechanics can install on cars after purchase. Slightly curved mirrors are allowed on some new cars in certain European and Asian countries.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a radical difference between the views in those two mirrors. Oncoming cars would be tiny!

I think this would be a wonderful thing for bike mirrors with a bit less of a "fish eye" effect. Hope it's affordable.

By my own algorithmic calculations I have dedueced that this is BIG, no matter what you are driving.

Thanks for the headz up Puppychow and watch your Six.

The first problem is that mirror has nothing to do with what's behind you.

Link to what is apparently Rocket Science

Killing time making a mirror when he should have been working on mouse traps. :-\

Latest posts