Warm and safe jacket liner sizing---Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jekirby

Reaction score
I am ordering a jacket liner through the group buy and the folks at the participating retailer don't really have an opinion for me. I am on the top end of the medium range chest:42" and am in good shape with sleeve length. They couldn't make a recommendation if I should go up to a large or not. They will not exchange without a heafty restocking charge if the size is not suitable. Will the liner stretch panels allow for fit in the maximum of a size range?

Can any of you help out with advice based on personal experience? I will check back to the forum this afternoon before ordering.

I am 5'6" and 127lbs. I ordered a medium, but it was way too big so I ordered a small. Fits like a glove! I gave the medium to a frined who is the same height but carries an additional 25-30 lbs of "insulation". It fits him like a glove too.

Hope this helps.

Duc OT

John,

If you're on the top end of the medium, I'd go with a large.

Reasoning is... The liner will go over your inner clothing so you'll want that extra room. Riding when your bulked up with gear is bad enough. When the gear is too tight, you don't seem to have the same control over your bike IMHO

Good luck.

Buy one of each at the discounted price.

Sell the one that doesn't fit.

Maybe make a buck.

My work here is done.

Jekirby,

I just received my medium yesterday. I too purchased from Desert Cycle Works. I'm 5'10" and weigh approx. 175-180. My chest is roughly 42" and I would say I have a muscular build. My first impression after initially trying it on was that it was a tad bit tight. The sleeves and waist seemed to fit perfectly but it pulled across the back when my arms were outstretched. I wore it around for a little while and found myself getting more and more accustomed to the fit. The material seems to stretch a little. I logged onto the Warmnsafe website and saw that the liner is supposed to fit close to the body. It recommends that it be worn over just a "T"-shirt. I think I'm going to stick with the medium. If after riding it seems too tight then I will sell it and opt for the large. Honestly though I think the medium is going to be just fine.

Hope this helps,

COLDCUT

I would buy the Gerbing. If their off the rack stuff does not fit you perfectly then they will take your measurements and have it custom made for you for no addition cost. I could have bought the Warm and Safe Jacket at Cycle Gear yesterday for $149 but for $199 I get the perfect size and the best warranty in the business. Just another way of looking at the issue. So what did you end up doing?

I would buy the Gerbing. If their off the rack stuff does not fit you perfectly then they will take your measurements and have it custom made for you for no addition cost. I could have bought the Warm and Safe Jacket at Cycle Gear yesterday for $149 but for $199 I get the perfect size and the best warranty in the business. Just another way of looking at the issue. So what did you end up doing?
I ordered the large. I figured that I could use a jacket that was too large for a season and then sell it and buy for next season--that is if it is in fact too large. DCW said that they had more comments on too small rather than too large. I would have wanted the Gerbing warranty, but the W&S concept of an uninsulated liner was what I was looking for.

Thanks folks.