Warning - No FJR's involved

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ynotride

Reaction score
Ocotillo Wells to San Felipe and back :bike:

My father in law has a house in Baja that we have been going to for years. We have always wanted to ride there but never had the right bikes to pull it off. After a few months of planning we were able to finally make it happen.

Wednesday night we parked the toy hauler at a friend’s property in Ocotillo Wells so we could get an early start. 530 came quick and we are ready for departure.

DSC05638.jpg

The first 30 miles were all dirt and we hit the pavement in Plaster city

DSC05647.jpg

30 miles of slab and we are in Calexico filling up before crossing the border

DSC05649.jpg

About 20 miles of slab thru Mexicali and we arrive at Laguna Salada

DSC05653.jpg

The salada is basically a dry lake bed that is pretty smooth. We were able to kick it up a notch on this section and didn’t stop for to many pictures. That is of course until we crossed the Baja 1000 course from last week at Race Mile 145

DSC05658.jpg

We stayed on the course until Race Mile 160. That was enough ass kicking whoops to last me a lifetime.

DSC05664.jpg

DSC05662.jpg

Here we are at the end of the Salada getting ready to run some slab to San Felipe.

DSC05683.jpg

DSC05680.jpg

My beautiful wife with me in the background putting air in the tires

DSC05685.jpg

About 15 miles out of town is where I notice I have a front flat. I pump it back up and move on.

DSC05688.jpg

The Arches

DSC05691.jpg

A few miles up the road I find a place with fix a flat. I only have 30 miles to the Casa and this got me there. I changed the tube the next morning which had a small thorn

DSC05695.jpg

We ended up arriving at 3 just in time for Thanksgiving Dinner. 252 miles in 9 hours. Thankfully Friday was rest and relaxation day.

Part two:

Saturday morning 6am we departed San Felipe to head back to Ocotillo. First stop was after 70 miles of slab and one of the military checkpoints

DSC05778.jpg

This was a surprise find. There was a steep dirt road that we decided to check out and it ended up being a really cool stop

DSC05781.jpg

DSC05784.jpg

Playing in Sand Dunes

DSC05795.jpg

DSC05805.jpg

You can’t go to Mexico and not have tacos. Here we stopped at a busy stand in Mexicali and had some of the best tacos ever

DSC05809.jpg

Always good to be back home

DSC05812.jpg

Overall it was a great ride. I can’t wait to explore more of Mexico. We are already planning the next big ride and I think Death Valley is calling our names.

How great to have your wife on her own dual sport for stuff like that! Nothing to hold you back and Baja in your back yard. Thanks for the report. :thumbsupsmiley:

How great to have your wife on her own dual sport for stuff like that! Nothing to hold you back and Baja in your back yard. Thanks for the report. :thumbsupsmiley:
+1 Thanks for the RR. As many can attest, trees and rocks are my thing. Second best is scrub and rocks. Brings back some warm memories and some future ride ideas.

Mark

She is definitely a trooper. We are looking forward to attending the FODS ride this year :D

Great shots! Looked like a fun time. Glad Andrea was documenting you actually wrenching on a bike. :p

Thanks for sharing your dirty story. We'll see you two at the LBMC show. ;)