Warranty Expiration

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrapeApe

Reaction score
My warranty on my 06A is about to expire. The dealer has sent an offer for 4 year coverage for $786. I checked the bin-o-facts and saw that D&H offer same warranty for $389. I recall this offer does not extend to FL residents. Is this correct? Any words of wisdom?? Should I pass on the $800 warranty if the $400 warranty is not available?

My warranty on my 06A is about to expire. The dealer has sent an offer for 4 year coverage for $786. I checked the bin-o-facts and saw that D&H offer same warranty for $389. I recall this offer does not extend to FL residents. Is this correct? Any words of wisdom?? Should I pass on the $800 warranty if the $400 warranty is not available?
I would get it for peace of mind if I could afford to buy it. If anything does go bad on your FJR and it could in the next four years, it would be nice to have the coverage. YMMV. :)

Ya pays yer money or ya takes yer chances.

I bought the YES from D&H. If I had to pay $800, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to correct a piece of misinformation, Florida residents do NOT have to purchase their warranties in Florida. That's just a nasty rumour concocted by Florida Yamaha dealers who want you to overpay them for your contracts.

Do your homework and verify it for yourself. There is simply no way for the State of Florida to legally force someone to buy something in any specific location, unless it is a government service or a service requiring state licensing. . . and even then . . . . Extended vehicle warranties are not considered as 'insurance' by the state because they only cover defects and do not reimburse the holder with any cash payments as would an insurance policy.

"A motor vehicle service agreement means a contract or agreement indemnifying the service

agreement holder (purchaser) for the motor vehicle listed on the service agreement against loss

caused by the failure of any mechanical or component part. (s. 634.011, F. S.) This type of

agreement is generally not considered to be insurance because a warranty promises to indemnify

against defects in the article sold, while insurance indemnifies against loss or damage resulting

from perils outside of and unrelated to defects in the article itself. (44 C.J.S., 473-4, Section 1)"

As such, there is no State restriction against purchasing an extended warranty from an out of state provider. In fact these warranties are specifically excluded from control. Let the buyer beware.

Yamaha certainly doesn't care. And it is YOUR money. When you bring a bike in for service, all they know is that your have Y.E.S. or not. They have no record of where it's been purchased.

Had I been able to, I would have purchased my warranty from D&H - instead I live in the land of 'rip them off' and overpaid for my bike and overpaid for my extended warranty too.

Thanks Bramfrank, thats the way I understand it also. Its been researched before.

Someone did post D&H won't sell an extended warranty to a Fla. resident. I will find out in a couple months.

The $800 isn't worth it to me either. Skippy did say there was a way around it though.

I believe the issue is that the state of fl does consider an extended warranty as insurance and as such must be purchased from a licensed agent. Someone did post on here somewhere how fl residents can circumvent the system and buy one from d&h. Don't remember how but I will be in the same boat in a month or so as my warranty runs out and I am usually a believer in ext. warranty's but $800 is a bit of a reach. Everett

I don't know about the legalities or if D&H would sell you a warranty or not based upon your residence in Florida.

I didn't buy my warranty from them. In fact I kinda got screwed because I wasn't in the know. I didn't purchase the 4 year YES, instead I bought the 3 year (I expect 4 years is about all I'll have the bike, but I could be wrong) and I paid I think $525 for that.

Even at $800, if that's your only option, that's $200 per year, or $16.67 per month to warranty against having a ticker. That's an investment I would probably make if I could afford it. While to the best of my knowledge, there isn't an 06 ticker that we know of, some have had extensive work done (dcarver's comes to mind).

It also help you sell the bike. One with YES is better than one without. :)

My $.02

I believe the issue is that the state of fl does consider an extended warranty as insurance and as such must be purchased from a licensed agent. Someone did post on here somewhere how fl residents can circumvent the system and buy one from d&h. Don't remember how but I will be in the same boat in a month or so as my warranty runs out and I am usually a believer in ext. warranty's but $800 is a bit of a reach. Everett
Please note the quotation (italicised in my previous post). It is taken straight from the Florida State bill CS/SB 2414. Vehicle extended warranties are specifically excluded from control.

Someone ought to just tell D&H and leave it at that.

Just got off the phone with D&H. He told me that he is not allowed to sell YES on a bike registered in FL. I could register the bike in another state (not FL or HI) and he could sell me the warranty for $389. He said that Yamaha will kick it back. FL dealers also HAVE to charge full retail. He stated that the warranty is actually "sold" to an insurance company. Kawasaki's extended coverage IS actually a warranty thru Kawasaki.......Another chickensh*t business tactic by Mamma Yamma.

Put that money back in your pocket. I spoke with a Yamaha dealer / sales manager who owned an 03 and now an 06. He said that anything that will go wrong with the bike will show up under the Yamaha factory warranty. There may be one or two oddball problems out there, but these bikes are pretty bullet proof. If you want to spend the money so you can sleep better at night, than go ahead and do it. I sleep better knowing I didn't give them my money for nothing. Anyone who has owned japanese bikes will tell you of there reliability. The record speaks for itself. To me, it's not a big gamble not owning the extended warranty. Jesse

..... Anyone who has owned japanese bikes will tell you of there reliability. The record speaks for itself. To me, it's not a big gamble not owning the extended warranty. Jesse

I think I now agree here. I'm going to keep my cash. If I was an Iron Butt rider, maybe I would think about it more, but I have owned many bikes in my 30+ years and never had anything major go wrong (that did not crop up in the first year)

I do have regular insurance, and this should cover me for the most likely "problems".

KM

Please note the quotation (italicised in my previous post). It is taken straight from the Florida State bill CS/SB 2414. Vehicle extended warranties are specifically excluded from control.
Someone ought to just tell D&H and leave it at that.
Bill? As in a bill being considered by state legislature? As in an idea floated by somebody, but not yet voted on and adopted?

If so, then it's just a bill and not a law. (insert music and video to Schoolhouse Rock episode)

Maybe you want to include the specific link so people can determine if it's a bill or bill that became law?

My 04 with 38k miles developed a small leak as stated here

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=14448

Dealer says hardly ever these go bad.

The oil leak was small, but enough to run down on the muffler and burn. The dealer took the bike for a gasket and an O ring change but ended up moving the motor to reach that bolt hiding behind the frame.

Total labor: 8 + hours @ $65/hr

Total parts: $20 some dollars

Out of pocket: $0

Thanks to YES.

My 04 with 38k miles developed a small leak as stated here
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=14448

Dealer says hardly ever these go bad.

The oil leak was small, but enough to run down on the muffler and burn. The dealer took the bike for a gasket and an O ring change but ended up moving the motor to reach that bolt hiding behind the frame.

Total labor: 8 + hours @ $65/hr

Total parts: $20 some dollars

Out of pocket: $0

Thanks to YES.

BigD, thats what I call an ROI.

..... Anyone who has owned japanese bikes will tell you of there reliability. The record speaks for itself. To me, it's not a big gamble not owning the extended warranty. Jesse
I think I now agree here. I'm going to keep my cash. If I was an Iron Butt rider, maybe I would think about it more, but I have owned many bikes in my 30+ years and never had anything major go wrong (that did not crop up in the first year)

I do have regular insurance, and this should cover me for the most likely "problems".

KM
At $389 it's a frickin steal, at $800, yeah I'd say it's worth some thought. KM since you aren't in Florida, you could pick it up at the special price. It doesn't take much at all to cover that investment.

Now I'm not typically an 'Extended Warranty' Person. I've only bought a few in my lifetime. When we bought our first house (and current house) we did the 1 year warranty thing, of course the seller paid for that. With both houses we got 'their' money's worth, either an appliance or in the case of the first house we got a completely new Furnace and A/C Init.

I did purchase it on our Excursion, and we used it there too on some piddly things, though not enough that it covered the cost. It's been a good vehicle for us. Basic math tells you these things are generaly not a good investment. You do have to pick and choose where they have the most potential. Most car extended warranties are shit, we all know that, so are the ones pushed at the electronics stores. They are pure profit, but sometimes they work out.

and the FJR, to me The $500 I spent was well worth it to protect my $15kish investment. Yeah they are pretty good bikes. But there are tickers, there have been trannies that didn't last or went bad (ask 05BlueDevil), and many other 'things' that happen. They are not bullet-proof. The fact is, just about anything you have to take it to the dealer for is going to cost you $200, even if it's minor.

(I'm not trying to convince you, you're a pretty handy guy. I'd imagine you could/would handle most repairs yourself, but if you ended up with a ticker, out of Warranty, you might not be so happy). On the other hand, I think some of those have been fixed out warranty.

But I'm still happy I have it, and I hope that it turns out that it was a bad investment for me ;) and that I never have to use it.

I'm NOT a lawyer, BUT in the sixth and seventh grades I did study this thing called the Constitution and how our government is supposed to operate. My YES contract categorically states it is good at ANY Yamaha dealer. It does not state "except FL." That contract covers a chunk of metal, rubber and assorted bits that can reside anywhere. My contract had a VIN on it and "my" home address as the contract owner residing in SC but it was actually titled for less than thirty days in Ohio and later transferred to SC. Again, there was nothing on the contract about the bike being titled in any specific state. I did not have to report to Yamaha I re-titled the bike in SC. The point being there was no address of "the bike" on my contract. It really sounds like there are some "unfair trade" laws at the heart of this issue that has to do with Yamaha and their FL dealers, not the state of Florida.

I paid $400 for my YES, man I got screwed for my ignorance, I could have saved $11 buying at D&H. How much is it to replace an ECU? What if I have wizzlehat bearing fail in the transmixer? It could happen! Probably won't but for the next five years, Yamaha is gonna fix it - parts and labor for under 28 cents a day for years 2 through five. If I got bamboozled on that deal, then call me what you want, I'll take the hit.

My next question here is, if the YES is offered through Yamaha itself, why is there a huge price diffrence from dealer to dealer. Seems like it should be a set price everywhere, as you are , in theory buying it from Yamaha and not the dealer.

If D+H offer it for $389.00 , how/why can they do that? Are the other dealers just ripping us off??

KM

My next question here is, if the YES is offered through Yamaha itself, why is there a huge price diffrence from dealer to dealer. Seems like it should be a set price everywhere, as you are , in theory buying it from Yamaha and not the dealer.If D+H offer it for $389.00 , how/why can they do that? Are the other dealers just ripping us off??

KM

In a word, yes... I'm speculating here but let say D&H makes $50 for selling you the contract. That's $50 for filling out forms and they think that's acceptible, maybe they only make $30.

Other dealers who sell you the warranty at retail, may make more on the warranty than they did selling you the bike. This isn't unusual, it's the same way with cars.

Hell it's the same way with iPod's MacBooks too. Applecare for a regular iPod is: $59.00, AppleCare for a Macbook is $349 (retail)... Those 'Apple' extended warranties can be found discounted but they are very, very hard to find that way.

Reseller margins on Apple stuff is very thin (and there aren't too many resellers to begin with). But yes, they can be discounted ;)

Extended warranties are generally speaking pure profit as *most* are sold at retail or at a price that's very profitable.

If you buy an iPod from Circuit City, or Best Buy, they'll try to sell you "their" warranty as opposed to Apple's, AppleCare. The margins on 'AppleCare' are too slim for them. They know that 1 in some number will need to be replaced but if they can get an extra $59.00 for it and pocket most of that money they'll take that business all day long.

In the world of iPod(s) I wouldn't purchase it on a flash based player, but wouldn't own a hard drive based player without it. I've damaged enough hard drive based things in my life time. With my Gen III iPod, Apple replaced it 2x after the initial warranty.