Warranty Expiration

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the ticker problem was fixed by yamaha even without a YES..??

Now I'm shiverin in me timbers because I think mine might be developing it, too early to tell though..... Without a YES, your on your own???

I thought the ticker problem was fixed by yamaha even without a YES..??
Now I'm shiverin in me timbers because I think mine might be developing it, too early to tell though..... Without a YES, your on your own???
As far as I know, but for just a few notable exceptions, Yamaha fixes tickers even if they are out of warranty. I'll let you know later this summer as FJR#2 is a ticker, I am not the original purchaser, and it doesn't have the Y.E.S.. It's an 04 with 15k. Don't know when I take it to get fixed, but it will be a while. And I will travel far to take it to a dealer that has done may tick repairs to avoid any problems with diagnosing and making the repair.

not only do i play a floridian on tv, i'm a REAL floridian 24/7/365...

florida has fairly restrictive laws covering the sales of most major items (homes, insurance, stocks, ect) that are a result of carpet baggers / fly-by-nite hucksters / confidence men / and other types that arrived with a new shirt and $20, and never changed either...

floridas law intends to 'protect' the consumer by requiring the seller, in this case yammi insurance, to be registered in florida to do business, and theoreticaly monitored by the 'department of business and professional regulation'...

fs 624.125 states:

(2) Any person soliciting, offering, providing, entering into, issuing, or delivering a motor vehicle service agreement without being deemed an insurer and without being subject to this code pursuant to subsection (1) shall, as to any such agreement, be subject to the provisions of the Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act, part II of chapter 501.

full LINKY

also,

Must be Licenced in Florida

hope this keeps it clear as mud... lol..

dana

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't get it.

1. I received a warranty expiration notice from Yamaha (California) and an offer to sell me a 4 year warranty extension direct from Yamaha (California) for $698(MSRP) + tax.

2. Ron Turner Cycles Jax, FL (place of bike purchase) says that he will sell me same warranty for same price and don't bother price shopping. "All dealers in FL are required by law to sell warranties for no less (or more) than MSRP. Verified by calling several FL dealers.

3. Dennis at D&H says he'll sell the 4 year warranty for $389 to anyone who's bike is not registered in FL or HI.

Is there someone from Yamaha on this forum that can iron out the wrinkles??

What about a warranty for a bike that is registered to a mc rental business? I just bought an '06 with 1700mi and stock warranty expires in April. The bike is registered to the business.

OK, I don't know if it's worth it to save $400... But one could temporarily register it in another state, oh say, at a relatives address that's not in Florida.

If you did that here in Ohio, it would cost you roughly $60 for the inspection/1 year tags. Buy said warranty then xfer it back.

I have no idea what is involved in changing a vehicles registration back to FL. In fact *most* of the folks that I know that have dual residences (old farts) keep their shiznit registered in Ohio.

Take that for what it's worth, which isn't much. But if you need an Ohio Address, I have one. ;)

Kinda like in Ky where, sometimes you have to wreck the truck, and collect the insurance to make the payment ;)

floridas law intends to 'protect' the consumer by requiring the seller, in this case yammi insurance, to be registered in florida to do business, and theoreticaly monitored by the 'department of business and professional regulation'...
fs 624.125 states:

(2) Any person soliciting, offering, providing, entering into, issuing, or delivering a motor vehicle service agreement without being deemed an insurer and without being subject to this code pursuant to subsection (1) shall, as to any such agreement, be subject to the provisions of the Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act, part II of chapter 501.url]

hope this keeps it clear as mud... lol..

dana
Not sure it really applies - the state has said that an extended warranty is NOT a service agreement, since it only covers the replacement of defective parts and is not a general coverage service policy as I wrote previously . . . .

https://www.leg.state.fl.us/data/session/20...003s2414.bi.pdf

On the other hand, how about THIS, that I found at the Consumer's Union site:

"The State of Florida, for example, recognizes and regulates extended warranty products (which may well mean third-party program providers and may exempt manufacturer-sold packages, but I haven't dug that deeply into the matter) and anti-theft products as insurance. Auto dealers there are required to disclose the product cost, which cannot be marked up further at the dealership. Consumers also have legal recourse if the dealer does attempt to inflate the price."

https://www.consumersunion.org/finance/extend-warr-pr.htm

Which seems to imply that the 'I have to sell at full list" argument is not only bogus, but could be illegal.

Last edited by a moderator:
that is from a "Senate staff (revenue impact) analysis (that) does not reflect the intent or official position of the bill’s sponsor or the Florida Senate."

not a state statute, just a sponsored bill... see iggy's 'i'm just a bill' link...

On the other hand, how about THIS, that I found at the Consumer's Union site:
"Consumers also have legal recourse if the dealer does attempt to inflate the price."

https://www.consumersunion.org/finance/extend-warr-pr.htm

Which seems to imply that the 'I have to sell at full list" argument is not only bogus, but could be illegal.
no, it implys msrp + $1.00 could be illegal...

trust me, been looking for loopholes...