Waving at other motorcyclists

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wave at everyone. Harleys, sportbikes, mopeds, and even cops. The moto cops almost always wave back. I get waves from the 1%ers. In fact, the only people who don't wave are the "wild hogs", but I give them the benefit of the doubt that they just don't know any better.

Does it get old? Yeah, sometimes. There are an awful lot more bikes to wave at these days. I still do it, though. It's like holding the door for someone. I don't even think about it, just do it.
That's the attitude! The more bikes we see, the more rookie riders there must be, and they need to learn about this. It's one of the better traditions we carry on, and I'd hate to see it die off. Hell, I remember when fricking Volkswagen drivers all waved to each other!

I'm having a little trouble lifting a hand for those CanAm folks, so fine, you have a point, Frumpy Guck it is!
Now you've done it! Poked a stick at the TYLER bees nest. Be very wary of a scorned woman! :)
Oh oh, If Tyler is a woman, and she drives a CanAm, I have thought it over & decided that CanAms are all 1/3 better than motorcycles, & I will now wave at them all. No, really . . . :)

I have been riding my dual sport the last couple of days and I even get waves from the Hardley riders. Funny thing is if I am on the Feej they don't wave hardly at all. And if the Hardley rider has a full fearing you can definately forget about getting any wave even if you wave to them. They are just the most Bad Ass Bro's ever to ride on two wheels. Just my observations.

Dave

I'm having a little trouble lifting a hand for those CanAm folks, so fine, you have a point, Frumpy Guck it is!
Now you've done it! Poked a stick at the TYLER bees nest. Be very wary of a scorned woman! :)
Oh oh, If Tyler is a woman, and she drives a CanAm, I have thought it over & decided that CanAms are all 1/3 better than motorcycles, & I will now wave at them all. No, really . . . :)
Don was kind enough to post a picture of her in the previous post (he must have an endless repository of incriminating photos and the ones he doesn't have appear to be created anyway with photochop ;) ).

Nice try on the save, but I still think you're screwed. Maybe you'll only lose one testicle instead of your life. Bust will be glad to take it off your hands because he doesn't have his anymore since Mrs. Bust took them to store in her purse. Call yourself lucky. :D

Don was kind enough to post a picture of her in the previous post (he must have an endless repository of incriminating photos and the ones he doesn't have appear to be created anyway with photochop ;) ).

Nice try on the save, but I still think you're screwed. Maybe you'll only lose one testicle instead of your life. Bust will be glad to take it off your hands because he doesn't have his anymore since Mrs. Bust took them to store in her purse. Call yourself lucky. :D
Uhhhhhh, both that charming looking woman, and that rather large knife have admirable qualities.

I guess that's why I still wave cuz of the old tradition. Some days it's a constant wave and that gets does old. The real challenge is to get a 70yr old duffer on a 250cc classic to wave. I get a smile on my face if that happens.

Fellow Rice Burners (like us) I get maybe a 90% w/b

Chrome tractors definitely under 50% w/b but then again, they're are better than us so I understand ;)

The wave divide is a new experience for me. I have only had my FJR for 3 weeks now, driving my VTX1300 cruiser for the last several years. I wasn't able to figure out why everyone had stopped waving at me. I actually thought maybe I was doing something stupid.

The Harley guys' wave-back ratio was about 1 out of 5 over Memorial Day weekend. I wondered if there were just so many bikes out that they got sick of waving like I get when I'm at bike packed places like Cherohala Skyway or Tail of the Dragon. But since then I've come to realize that my FJR for the most part excludes me from the "friendly wave" club.

This is odd for me since my bike they've been waving at nearly 100% of the time for a long time is a HONDA.

I've been riding for ~20 years, and I... pretty much wave at any recreational vehicle on the roads with me. RVs aren't recreational vehicles, they're pylons. But bicyclists in the middle of nowhere, vintage cars on a putt, any bike or trike... I wave. The vast majority wave back. Only time I don't is when I'm in a situation when I need hands on the controls, and I really think the folks to don't wave back are mostly in that situation.

But I think there's a language of waves.

( 1 ) In the rain, or <= 40 degress, a wave always means "Yeah, buddy, this sounded like a good idea to me too."

( 2 ) In summer in seattle, waving like a sugared-up 8 year old in a community parade, on a float, on _crack_: "The sun! The beautiful sun! We're so lucky! We win! Isn't this great!?"

( 3 ) The summer, anywhere else, low wave "Man, this is great, innit?"

( 4 ) Middle of f'in nowhere, I'll wave at any other vehicle, period, high wave, "So nice to see someone else! I'm sure you have some good reason to be here too! I'm fairly certain that if I was on the side of the road in a ditch, you'd tell someone in another 2 hours and they'd come running. That's great! I'll do the same for you!"