Weekly Harley Rant

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a little ride on the Ducati, and started to pass a couple of Harley riders on a 4 lane. As I went by the lead rider he twisted hard on the volume control to turn the sound up,so I left.
Karl, They are not too noisey when they are small specks in your mirror!!

too bad they did not make a remote w/mute for the noisy rattletraps...

FWFE

Can't let a good rant die so I offer: How come my humble 4 valve 1100CC Moto Guzzi just kicks Harley ass everytime they give me a challenge? Over 12 years this is what has happened about 6 or 8 times... happend today a few hours ago. I'm at the stop light on my very silent bagger. A new model Harley with embarassingly loud pipes pulls up next to me gunning it several times it seems just to keep it running. The road is open ahead, no traffic, so I wait to see what he does...Just what I thought he guns it hard and blasts me with irritating noise. So I crank it on and pass him within seconds...ahh quieter now. I know the guy was hitting it hard by the sound, but the humble Guzzi kicked the Harley's ass just like it always does. I don't understand it. Don't those things produce some horse power along with the noise?

FJR Bill

Remember the definition:

A V-twin mechanical device for turning fossil fuel into noise without making all that bothersome horsepower.

Seriously, it's about the attitude of the rider/owner, not the machine.

Y'know the old adage about small personal appendage: big car? Well, in the case of SOME H.D. or cruiser owners, small ego/insecurity: large noise.

With others, they're motorcyclists and it's all about the ride.

But, I agree, it is fun when they decide to show a Euro of Asian motorcycle some "American Muscle"....er...so I've heard. ;)

Remember the definition:

A V-twin mechanical device for turning fossil fuel into noise without making all that bothersome horsepower.

Seriously, it's about the attitude of the rider/owner, not the machine.

Y'know the old adage about small personal appendage: big car? Well, in the case of SOME H.D. or cruiser owners, small ego/insecurity: large noise.

With others, they're motorcyclists and it's all about the ride.

But, I agree, it is fun when they decide to show a Euro of Asian motorcycle some "American Muscle"....er...so I've heard. ;)

Righr Mike, I beieve that rumor is correct. :rolleyes:

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:34 PM

Well, since it is indeed dog pile Friday:

On the farm lived a chicken and a horse, both of

whom loved to play together.

One day the two were playing, when the horse fell

into a bog and began to sink.

Scared for his

life, the horse whinnied for the chicken to go get the farmer for help!

Off the chicken ran, back to the farm.. Arriving

at the farm, he searched and searched for the farmer, but to no

avail, for he had gone to town with the only

tractor.

Running around, the chicken spied the farmer's new

Harley.

Finding the keys in the ignition, the

chicken sped off with a length of rope hoping he still had time to

save his friend's life.

Back at the bog, the horse was surprised, but

happy, to see the chicken arrive on the shiny Harley, and he managed

to get a hold of the loop of rope the chicken tossed to

him.

After tying the other end to the rear bumper of the

farmer's bike, the chicken then drove slowly forward and, with the

aid of the powerful bike, rescued the horse!

Happy

and proud, the chicken rode the Harley back to the farmhouse, and

the farmer was none the wiser when he returned.

The

friendship between the two animals was cemented: Best Buddies, Best

Pals.

A few weeks later, the chicken fell in to

a mud pit, and soon, he too, began to sink and cried out to the

horse to save his life!

The horse thought a

moment, walked over, and straddled the large puddle.

Looking underneath, he told the chicken to grab his

hangy-down thingy and he would then lift him out of the pit.

The chicken got a good grip, and the horse pulled him up

and out, saving his life.

The moral of the story?

(yep, you

betcha, there is a moral!)

' When You're Hung Like A Horse, You Don't Need A

Harley To Pick Up Chicks!

I always suspected they were compensating for some short coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate ALL BLOCKERS...car or motorcycle or truck.
I call them "plugs" because they plug up the flow of traffic. I mean....I sometimes call them other names too; 'plug' is a nice name for what they are.

"slalom gates"

I said that at the end of an ERC course a few years back in which I was one of two non-cruiser riders, after one termed our ilk "knee draggers" who come screaming up from behind. Guess they'd never heard it before, because several thought it was funny.*

* not too many 1%ers in an ERC class

In the northeast US, we consider the ever present road warts, potholes, and giant crevices as the slalom markers. They do make riding interesting, a bit more dangerous, and sometimes less relaxing.

It's a lot like skiing in the NE. If you can ski here... you can ski anywhere. ;) (I'm sure that you can relate to that)

ET...Thanks for the video. Its a hoot. All good humor has truth in it. That video hit all the great points and irritations from certain Harley rides. I've seen every one of the behaviors mentioned on several occasions. At work there is a Harley guy that has crashed about 3 times in the last few years. I love how he describes how he had to "lay it down" ...

Bill

My boss last year "had" to buy a new Electroglide. He admitted that a GoldWing would probably been better and he had his eye on one of those for a long time but all his buddies have Harleys.

I rode it and it is not a $25K bike unless you're drinking the koolaid.

OK, I'm going for a ride now. Please tell everyone you know with a TCM (Traffic Calming Device) to stay home.

My son just sent me a text.... noting that he just passed a HD rider who (wearing a chromed Nazi style helmet) was texting while riding! I asked him to take a pic for the next of kin. <_<

I must ask the question - is it only here in western Mass and/or where was it communicated that as of this year it's considered "the" new cool thing to ride side-by-side as if they're Jon and Ponch? I just can't fathom that the lack of gear and general riding technique just wasn't enough. They had to take it up a notch.

And, the icing on the cake for me was on Sunday.

I was riding home from a great day of m/c marshaling for a bike race, and was taking it easy through Pittsfield, because I put off getting gas until after the race and had been on reserve for some time and still had a way to go before my planned gas station.

A dude, complete with snazzy bandana over his face, pulled out behind me on his Road Queen, with his girl behind him on what I think was a Sportster.

He had an exhaust that hurt my molded earplug protected ears - from behind - and just couldn't get enough of constantly surging forward to proclaim to the known universe of his presence. I don't know what his thinking or motive was, but whenever I was just moving along he would keep surging up to where he was actually coming up along side of me on my right. i still can't figure out how he could trust my riding so much to assume I wouldn't change lane position, which would take him out, so much. If I wasn't in such an immediate need of fuel, contrary to my desire to just enjoy a relaxing sunny ride home, I would have just ridden away from him.

I did take one opportunity to - rather instantly - distance myself from him when approaching an area containing some awkward turns, but after I was stuck back in traffic, sure enough Mr. F. Noisy was right back on my right side overlapping my wheel. This of course forced me to ensure I gave ample signal and multiple brake taps to give the retard as much warning as possible when I turned into the gas station.

I swear to god the general behavior just seems to keep getting worse and worse.

I just got in 5 stickers to proclaim my feelings on the motor company. First to be applied was on the Qwest for my ride to bike nite. It was an instant hit (but only to some LOL).

hdsticker.jpg