Weird 'hiccup'

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kaelaria,

I feel for ya. I had a similar experience with dealers. What I did is call the Area Yamaha Tech via Yamaha Customer service and make an appointment with him and yourself. (p.s. most dealers are closed on Monday)

I hope this works out for you... it did for me but with a little extra effort not relying on the dealer for anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got an update call.

Of course they did not call when Yamaha was there for me to come in and talk with them.

Yamaha found a hairline fracture of one of the forks and chips on the gears and authorized a complete transmission assembly, that's being shipped to the dealer today. The dealer admitted that they 'couldn't even see it'.

So hopefully it goes in well.

Kaelaria,

Can we assume they are ordering parts? I know when mine was in the shop, most of the time waiting was for parts that took around 3 weeks at times, especially when they have to come in from Japan.

Hope this is the case.

The last call, 10 days ago, was that the Yamaha rep just left and had authorized a complete transmission unit, and it had shipped out that day.

I'm not assuming anything at this point - for all I know they broke something else doing the repair and are waiting on THAT part.

I'm calling tomorrow. He knows I'm pissed and doesn't like calling me anymore.

Kaelaria,

I know the feeling....when mine was in for the Big Fix(s), I could not take it anymore and had to get a motorcycle fix in the interim. I cured this by getting a used FZ1...helped my head tremendously and my patience.

Hope all goes well for you.

I called yesterday to get an update, after getting nothing but voicemail I left a message to callback and give me news. I got a call this afternoon that they are still waiting on a couple bearings, as INDIVIDUAL PARTS have been arriving over the past two weeks. Completely opposite from what i was last told. Before I could even say anything he went on to thank me for my patience and tell me he understand my frustration and this is their top priority. He said it *might* be ready tomorrow, I'm not holding my breath, fully expecting yet another weeks. Now on two bike payments without it, closing in on #3.

And what a shock, I know...still not a damn thing.

Unreal, in this day and age, that with all the unemployed masses, incompetent people are still working.

So....still no bike!

I called last Friday, pissed - the Mgr wouldn't get on, the desk guy relayed the message that 'everything was in, they just have to button it back up and take care of a lot of small stuff'. 4 work days later now, still nothing.

UPDATE

So I stopped up just before closing yesterday - no more phone calls!

Not happy but at least I have the real story now.

I went right to the manager, who knew who I was before getting my name out. He tried giving me the same ol BS of, oh it's almost done, just have to blah blah blah - I repeatedly said "that's what I've been told for WEEKS". I asked to SEE the bike and he took me back. The mechanic was in the middle of working on it - the engine is back in but everything else was off. Turns out he broke a water manifold putting it back together and has been waiting for that to come in all this time. He showed me the bent pipe, said it started leaking coolant and said it was supposed to be in the middle of next week - everything else was done. The mechanic was real cool, no BS, shared everything he had. The old tranny parts were right there on his bench and we went over the gears, he showed me the rub marks. The manager tried giving me some BS that it was caused by ME resting my toe on the shifter. I quickly squashed that CRAP and he then backed off and said, oh, well, that's just what YAMAHA said it was. Yeah whatever, that's why they immediately said replace everything right? Right.

Then the Mgr blames all the communication problems on his service guy I had been speaking too, throwing him under the bus by saying he's not mechanically competent and doesn't know what to tell customers when they ask. Didn't even know what to say to that.

And just in case anything happens in the future I have the whole meeting voice recorded.

I have now made payment #3 with no bike.

Wow,your patience with all this is astounding.You will probably swear off dealers forever after this nightmare finally ends.Apparently,there is no sense of urgency whatsoever to allow a customer to wait for not just days,but MONTHS to do them right.You have done the right thing to document this cruel treatment on the net.It's times like this when some good legal leverage would come in handy to light a fire under their butts.

jazsr

I'm not doing anything like that. I can only imagine what that would lead to while my bike sits in pieces in the shop.

Kaelaria,

Sorry to hear about your grief. Regarding this "I quickly squashed that CRAP and he then backed off and said, oh, well, that's just what YAMAHA said it was. Yeah whatever, that's why they immediately said replace everything right? Right.

Then the Mgr blames all the communication problems on his service guy I had been speaking too, throwing him under the bus by saying he's not mechanically competent and doesn't know what to tell customers when they ask."

I would Contact the Regional Yamaha Service Manager NOW to see if they can intercede for you or at least make sure the Yamaha Authorized shop is Doing the Right Thing.

Hope you get it soon and done right!

Ya know ... after reading through the entire string of posts for the first time, I actually felt a little better to know that I'm not the only person on the receiving end of incompetence, ignorance, indifference, and just sheer stupidity on the part of a service organization. ;) Today, I'm always actually surprised when I get good service. Anyway, sounds like you're doing about everything you can. Yes; be patient, but make sure they understand that your patience involves a daily dose of pestering the crap out of these idiots until they deliver. Good Luck.

that there is some crazy shite. and people wonder why i refuse to take my 17 year old fj in to a dealership for a problem...

i once had a similar problem (getting the runaround) with a barely used mistubishi car i bought at performance mitsu in cincinnati nearly 20 years ago. i not only got the runaround from the dealer, i got it from mitsu. ended up selling the car to a used car dealer and taking a hit on it. vowed i'd never buy a mitsu car again, nor patronize that dealership.

good luck with the tranny issue...