Weird thing happened yesterday...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mscott

Reaction score
On our ride yesterday, we stopped for a few minutes, and I cut the bike off(with the key). We were only there about 3 minutes, and when I tried to start it, it spun, then stopped abruptly, then spun again but did not fire up. I let off the start button for a few seconds, then tried again. This time it was immediately running out of juice and spinning slower and slower until almost stopped(took about 2 seconds). The battery seemed almost completely dead. We just happened to be at the top of a small hill in the parking lot and I managed to bump start it, and we went on our way. It ran perfect. Next stop was our destination about 20 minutes later(I parked on a hill just in case).

When we were ready to leave(and for the remainder of the day) it started right up and ran flawlessly. I don't get it? What could have possibly caused it to do that? I checked all connections at or near the battery and solenoid and all were tight. Where is the starter at on this bike? Where is main ground attached to frame? These are the only other two connections that I think might cause this to happen. Maybe it's time for a new battery????

If it's the stock '04 battery, I would say it's time for replacement.

When the battery in my '03 started going, the symptoms only occurred for a few minutes when the bike was really hot.

That sounds about the same. Slow putting into a small town right before it happened, 4 bars on the heat guage...Probably original battery.

I just replaced my 2-year old cheapie battery with similar symptoms, no cranking when the bike is hot but starts fine when cold, no trouble bump-starting (although hills are few and far between around here, and having strangers push you across the lot is sometimes a lot to ask.) It's better, but still not right, so I think I'm looking at a starter issue. Hopefully not quite as bad as what skooterg found when he pulled his out a few months ago, but it fits the symptoms.

I replaced the battery because it was only on a hot bike, and even then it had no trouble cranking when jumped from a car. Of course, a car battery has the amps to overcome weird starter issues like bad brushes or partly shorted commutators. It still will not start if I try within a couple of minutes after shutting it off. After 10 minutes or so it's fine. That means a fuel stop on the road is pretty casual, with a lot of wandering around in the station, reading magazines and so on.

The old battery is worse, so I'm not dejected that I replaced it, but it sucks to still have work to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link to where the starter actually is. I'll get in there tomorrow to see if the + cable might be a little loose...

Looks like if you decide to do a throttle plate cleaning, a starter inspection and cleaning would be a snap! OR starter replacement/problems are a good time to clean the throttle plates and consider port matching the intake boots...IVAN got about 5hp on the FZ1 by port matching and cleaning up the "bump" inside the boots...

If it's the stock '04 battery, I would say it's time for replacement.
When the battery in my '03 started going, the symptoms only occurred for a few minutes when the bike was really hot.
My 03 was doing the hot thing, I cleaned the battery terminals and it has not happened for 3 months of riding nearly everyday.

I cleaned the terminals on the wires and battery using a tiny wire brush on my Dremel tool.

My guess is that the slight increase in heat causes some expansion and that lowers the conductivity.

when I tried to start it, it spun, then stopped abruptly, then spun again but did not fire up. I let off the start button for a few seconds, then tried again. This time it was immediately running out of juice and spinning slower and slower until almost stopped(took about 2 seconds). The battery seemed almost completely dead. We just happened to be at the top of a small hill in the parking lot and I managed to bump start it, and we went on our way. It ran perfect.
That is incredibly similar to the experience I had last week with my 2006, except that I jump started it off a car battery. Also, the previous (cold) morning start was a bit sluggish. Later I took a look at the battery terminals and while I wouldnt say they were in poor condition they were clearly not providing the contact that they were capable of and I note that they are very small terminals and it is a 1300cc motor. I cleaned the terminals thoroughly and the starter is definitely winding things better now.

nameless.

Other than the obvious electrical connections and possible starter problems don't overlook the possibility of a sulfated battery. Before the Batt becomes to sulfated it may short out internally and then with a little jolt or vibration it may work again. If this is the case then a new Batt is in order.