Well s&$t!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griff

Reaction score
Went to put my 03 on the center stand tonight to start packing for the SE Ohio ramble and it felt kinda funny, like it really wasn't going up on the center stand. Pulled up with the right hand, bike moved back slightly, released it and as I heard a hunk of metal rattling on the floor ..... the bike fell over on it's right side into my pickup. WTF??

Upon further review, the left hand portion of the centerstand with the foot lever had broken off. Hmmmmm - this is an 03 and I have heard of this problem. I had even been watching the centerstand for signs of stress, but obviously wasn't very observant or this was just a catastrophic failure.

The good news is there was just a few scratches on the bike and me, although it took me a while to pry the bike away from the pickup and get it back on the side stand.

Anyone have a spare center stand?? Time to look on ebay I guess. It could have been worse. I had just taken the bike off my lift. If this would have happened on the lift, it would have fallen over on the Hondapotamus.

Forgot to ask if anyone knows what later year bikes centerstand fit the 03. Do Gen II fit the Gen1?

Most unlucky, unfortunately I can't help with advise on changing to a Gen II center stand, all I can do is hope the ride turns out well.

Best regards

Surly

Depending on the nature of the break, it might be possible to weld it and brace it; that would likely be the quickest way to get the bike back in service. Glad it didn't decide to flop on you, that might have left a bruise or worse...

Depending on the nature of the break, it might be possible to weld it and brace it; that would likely be the quickest way to get the bike back in service. Glad it didn't decide to flop on you, that might have left a bruise or worse...
I can use the sidestand for a while - I'll look for the "new and improved" centerstand Yamaha changed to after 03. While it didn't flop on me, I have a nasty bruise on my leg and my right hand is jammed either from the initial tip over or my initial frantic efforts trying to get the back off my truck.

Something similar happened to my Magna v30 back in the day (i.e. 2000). The centerstand foot lever had rusted to the point where it broke off.

As luck would have it, a local salvage yard had one for $30. That was just wierd. Odd bike part available in a small southeast-MN town.

Sorry to hear about this, Griff, hope you're OK. There's a couple on ebay for around $100.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Same thing happened to me on my '03. Ended up buying a salvage stand off an '05 that has the added crossbrace that Yamaha put on after the '03. I think something like this should have been a recall that Yamaha would have paid for but it wasn't. Just check ebay, that's where I found mine.

Just take the Triumph Griff.

That's all you need for those flat boring roads in SE Ohio.

Thought I would ask one more time - does anyone know for a fact if the Gen II center stand fits on a Gen I.. The part numbers are different, but I don't know if that definitely means they won't fit. Yamaha changed the part number on the 03 to reflect the "beefed" up version on the 04 and 05. I have a free Gen II stand if I want it and will be checking it out this weekend - thanks Wayne.

I'm glad I reversed that one right hand bolt earlier - it was still a pain getting that broken center stand off
grrr.gif

Latest posts