Well, that was cool......ok, maybe not so much, but

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6393

the Vixen of Vancouver Island
Reaction score
Had a short stop situation leaving Penticton on Saturday morning. Grabbed a mittful of front, stomped the back and........BOOM. Straight as an arrow too. Certainly would not have been the case on the FZ6

Have always wondered what it was like, now I know.

Tres cool

:)

It's the Neatest Thing since Sliced Bread. :clapping: It Saved My Butt a Couple of Times. :eek: Glad You Found Out the Good Way. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my CBR specifically because it has ABS. I really need to get in a parking lot and give it a whirl.

AANNDDD....we're all glad to read that it was a successful emergency stop. :clapping:

No broken bike parts, no injured Barb parts....all is good news! :yahoo:

As an aside, isn't it nice to know that your system recovers from the adrenalin rush?

ABS is a wonderful thing. I remember when it first came out and everyone was optomistic. Now that I have owned one for a while, I do not want to ride anything else that does not have it.

Never actually used mine in a emergency situation, I have cycled it in a gravel lot once or twice. Glad all worked out and that we're not hearing bad news!

One of the IBA ralliers hit the back of a tractor trailer this last Iron Butt. He is a phenomonal rider (forget his name) but his credentials were outstanding. While he way in the hospital he commented that he will never ride another street bike without ABS. That was good enough for me. My gen II has it. Considering all the woodland varmints we have to dodge here in Idaho, I am glad I have it. I am glad yours worked as advertised. Anything that keeps people from panic brake/ highsiding is a really good thing. Did you have to dodge a moose or what? It is going into rut and the critters are getting crazy! Tyler

After EOM two years ago, riding in rain all weekend, I made it home easily. Back in my home town I was thinking how few "incursion" issues I had on the trip. Seems like every time I ride, someone is out to kill me. Anyway, minutes later, still on the way home, and idiot pulls out from a grocery store parking lot RIGHT in front of me. She was leaned over getting a cancer stick out of the pack... while turning out of the parking lot. Fucking idiot in a beater.

Anyway, the ABS on my AE kept me from entering her car through her side window. And the road was wet as snot.

ABS is a very good thing. :rockwoot:

AANNDDD....we're all glad to read that it was a successful emergency stop. :clapping:

No broken bike parts, no injured Barb parts....all is good news! :yahoo:

As an aside, isn't it nice to know that your system recovers from the adrenalin rush?
It's funny Mike, it happened so fast there was no adrenaline rush. I stopped in contemplation about the ABS experience....brain full of "wow, that was really cool", "so THATS what it's like" .....NOT freaked out about the late season senior citizen tourist who didn't see me

Last edited by a moderator:
Youse ABS guys are so lucky. I wish I could be as safe as y'all.

But I am not.... I am continuing to live on the Edge of Death.

FJR1300: non-ABS, non-LBS.... Hayabusa: non-ABS, non-LBS...

It's a wonder I am alive, riding about 45,000 miles a year through intense deer/elk/moose/bear country... on these death-trap bikes with no ABS to save me.

laugh.gif

Youse ABS guys are so lucky. I wish I could be as safe as y'all.

But I am not.... I am continuing to live on the Edge of Death.

FJR1300: non-ABS, non-LBS.... Hayabusa: non-ABS, non-LBS...

It's a wonder I am alive, riding about 45,000 miles a year through intense deer/elk/moose/bear country... on these death-trap bikes with no ABS to save me.

laugh.gif
Sarcastic bastard :rolleyes: :p

well, some of us don't have those mad skillz Dale, cuz we just ain't as fukkin old as you

;) :lol: :p

I've still got the scars to prove that there's a reason why I own an FJR. I grabbed a fist full on my GSX1100G Zookie at 45 mph back in May of 01. BIG MISTAKE. That bike went down so fast, I didn't know what hit me. I remember flying over the handlebars, just as she bit the pavement. I slid to a stop, thank God mostly on my but. But my left arm took the worst of it. While I was healing, and just before I got fired from my job due to missing work, I made up my mind that if they ever put antilock brakes on a motorcycle, I'd buy it. Nine years later, I discovered you fine people on this forum... and I kept my promise. Only had to use it once thus far, and just like your experience Barb, it worked just fine.

Gary

darksider #4

ABS in all my 4 wheel vehicles. Wouldn't even consider riding a bike without it at this point.

No reason to and that one time you didn't have it would be the time you need it and sitting the hospital wondering why you didn't spring for it? (if available on your year).

Glad that one left you grinning Barb. I'd had my FJR about a week, riding along Hwy.50 in South Lake Tahoe, it had just snowed the day before, but it was a sunny and warm April day, warm with water in the roadway, when a brain dead cager pulled out from a parking lot right in front of me in a puddle of water. I grabbed a handful of brakes and the pedal together, stopped just short of his bumper and got to feel that pulsing jack hammer sensation. Dead straight. You're right -- they do work pretty well.

... "so THATS what it's like"....
Bite my tongue.

...and got to feel that pulsing jack hammer sensation....
Dude.

Take it to a PM.

Honestly, there are some times that after reading stuff here, I've got to say 3 Our Fathers and 4 Hail Marys.

(Barb, it's amazing that you'd ever use ABS. Niehart insists that you ride like a girl.)