Well, THAT was stupid!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smilin' Kyle

Reaction score
I had to do some straightening up in the garage this morning, so I move the FJR out next to the Escape and all is well, right? Wrong. After hitting the kill switch I had a complete brain cramp and forgot to turn the key to the "OFF" position. Hours later I walk out and see the key--"Oh, #*%^#@!!!" Battery is dead as the perverbial doornail. Out of curiousity (desperation?) I checked a few minutes ago and the LED lit up but I got the "Click, click, click" when I hit the starter.

Brothers Powersponrts, where I bought the bike, had put on a batttery tender connector when I bought the bike. I KNEW I shoudla bought one right then and there.

Guess where I'll be Tuesday after the school day's done? Driving the Cage (Ford Escape) to the motorcycle shop to buy one battery tender.

I don't know whether to be :angry: or :dribble:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah-yup! Been a there, done a that!

The trickle charger is a "must" for such a small storage cell. Remember to keep it plugged in during longer durations of non-use!

The original battery unit has an average life expectancy of 3 years. I got 4 out of mine in CA. but it was "toast" in January of this year.

best,

'05 FJR 1300 (45,000+ miles) took delivery in October 2004

It has happened to me on more than one occasion and that's because my life is getting littered with senior moments. Once, I made a building inspection at a clients house. Left the key on by mistake and then had to have the client drive me back to my house to get the tender. I've noticed that once you connect the tender, most of the time it takes only about 5-10 minutes to charge enough to get it started. At first, I would wait a couple of hours before trying to start it. Can't remember if it was Wal-Mart or an auto parts store but don't know if I would pay a motorcycle dealers price for it. Schumacher is the brand name on this one. Seems like there was a thread a couple of years back on them.

Between the using the kill button or shutting the bike off by putting the kickstand down when your bike is in gear, this has happened to a lot of us.

You must have some good karma because you did it in your garage, not on the road somewhere.

Between the using the kill button or shutting the bike off by putting the kickstand down when your bike is in gear, this has happened to a lot of us.
You must have some good karma because you did it in your garage, not on the road somewhere.
Yep! It's waaaaay more fun interesting when you're 200 miles from home in a store parking lot and no other motorcyclists in site. :blink:

Yep! It's waaaaay more fun interesting when you're 200 miles from home in a store parking lot and no other motorcyclists in site. :blink:
Is that the voice of experience speaking there Mike?

I left my ignition turned on while eating lunch at a restaurant. Just that short time was enough to flatten a VStar 1100's battery. Thank goodness for Andy's skills and ability to bump start the bike.

Yup! Been there/done that too... but up at the lake, with few people and no tenders around. Was able to boost it to get home.

The trickle charger is a "must" for such a small storage cell. Remember to keep it plugged in during longer durations of non-use! The original battery unit has an average life expectancy of 3 years. I got 4 out of mine in CA. but it was "toast" in January of this year.
Hmmm... I got 1 (yup ONE) year outta my OEM battery. Don't know if the running dead or boosting effected it but it's gone now. Got a new aftermarket battery but it's having trouble keeping it's charge for a week. :(

Yuasa Hot Shot is my choice for a tender....
That's the tender I bought this spring. I like it so far, but did you notice that it doesn't actually say that it is acceptable for use on SLA batteries? It is logical that it would be but I emailed YUASA for confirmation.

DO NOT use a small battery tender to charge a dead battery. Use a 2 Amp charger to charge the battery back up. Then use the battery tender to maintain the charge. You can damage the battery tender is you try to charge with it.

Subconsciously, I knew there was a reason I never use the kill switch. Thanks for the reminder.
I usually use the sidestand to kill the motor, which would also come in handy if I ever have to bail off during a pit stop.
Just a little reminder to the AE (AS) riders - stopping the engine with the kill switch or sidestand will hold the clutch disengaged, so no engine hold on an incline, until 3 seconds after the ignition switch is turned off.

Another reason not to do this as a habit.

I used to do this on my "conventional" Trophy; when stopped on a hill, clutch lever pulled in, handbrake on, I couldn't reach my ignition key with my teeth. <_<

I never use the kill switch (intentionally). I generally just use the key switch. There have been a few times I've left the key on by mistake and it has been during a gas stop where I dropped the side stand while still in gear. Better off maintaining the key-off habit instead.

The bad habit that I do have is to leave the key in the ignition...

I never use the kill switch (intentionally). I generally just use the key switch. There have been a few times I've left the key on by mistake and it has been during a gas stop where I dropped the side stand while still in gear. Better off maintaining the key-off habit instead.
The bad habit that I do have is to leave the key in the ignition...
So, Fred....how do you unlock the filler cap at the gas stop with the key in the ignition? :rolleyes:

i think what fred is trying to say is that he, not unlike myself, leaves the keys in the bike while it's in the garage... i do this all the time because I live in the country and there is little traffic at my location. When i do take the keys out while its in the garage i always find my self out in the garage needing to get in the top trunk or start up the bike and there is no key ***!! That being said, I have luckily not formed the bad habit of leaving the key in the bike in the parking lot... It's sad that we can get so comfortable around people and places we trust so that someone of an untrustworthy disposition can take advantage of us.... hmmm.. ok ima stop ranting now... lol i know what you are talking about fred!

. Got a new aftermarket battery but it's having trouble keeping it's charge for a week. :(
Plus 1 on this. I just noticed the extremely weak charge after 5 days on Saturday. I was lucky to get it started.

What the heck is up with this issue???
Not enough volts are going into the battery or the volts are not going into the battery long enough when running; or too many amps are leaving the battery when the key is off. Uh, has this battery been heavily discharged, perhaps more than once?

What are your driving habits, i.e. short runs, frequent starts or nothing but 1,000 mile days with an aux fuel tank? What electricals do you have operating when the motorcycle is running? Do you have any relays added that may be sucking amps when the key is off? Do you have a Datel or other volt meter?