Went down this p.m. on my way home from work

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seriously questioned and re-examined if I would ride again, after my deer strike and concussion, and it took quite some time before the confidence returned.

I had made choices before the strike, which I will not and have not made since. Some good lessons learned.

It is normal to introspect, and learn your lessons, but stay positive and constructive.

Glad you are okay, just give it some time and keep your chin up and adjust your riding styles and choices as you feel necessary in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
The longer you wait to ride again, the more apprehensive you will be. When the horse bucks you off, get right back on, and learn from what happened.

DO NOT FOLLOW too closely, it takes away precious reaction time that gets longer as we age. This is easy to say but requires discipline to execute.

I ride a lot in dear country and have had several close calls. I try to avoid dusk and dawn and rarely ride after dark. (the best lights in the world , don't help when you are being blinded by oncoming lights....).

My biggest fear is an oncoming left turning driver. Be focused and prepared as best you can, ALWAYS. Always know what is behind you, and do not allow yourself to be tailgated.

Just some out loud thoughts.

It will be a personal decision, period. Listening to others may only confuse you. Been down 3 times and no hesitation about getting back on, its just the way I am. Everyone is unique and if your confidence is shaken, listen to your inner self.

There is nothing wrong with abandoning an imprudent type of ride, like a major traffic commute, while continuing other types of rides.

I would not hesitate to get back on the bike and ride, but the stress of duking it out with 6 lanes of stop and go lunatics is not worth the ribbon for most macho FJR jockey.

First and foremost glad that you're okay. A lot of folks have already pretty much covered anything I could offer and they're all correct in their own ways. I've had 3 accidents on bikes in 32 years of riding and each one taught me something.

First accident, very similar to yours in 1995. Leaving a very hostile divorce proceeding is which I was getting screwed yet again by my soon to be ex-wife I failed to leave enough space and rear ended a stopped car primarily because my mind wasn't in the game. 100% my fault and left me with a broken right wrist and 6 weeks off work. I learned that when my mind isn't fully on my riding to pull over and take a break. Pace around a parking lot, grab a bite to eat or a drink of water or something but most importantly stop riding until my focus is in the right place.

Second accident in 2002 I hit a deer coming around a blind corner only about 300 yards from my house.Wasn't really speeding, oncoming traffic in other lane, guard rail on the right side and a large doe standing broadside in the middle of my lane. Braked as hard as I could but just not enough room to stop. Bruised up but full gear kept it from being worse. To this day I'm unsure what could have prevented this beyond riding a little slower in this area. Deer are a fact of life where I live and my wife has taken out 3 with cars. All I can do is ATTGAT and be alert.

Last time was around 2010, went down on my Buell when I grabbed a bit too much front brake while the wheel wasn't straight and washed out the front end.Complete stupidity on my part I was riding stupid with another equally stupid friend and we'd been raising hell and riding like idiots. No one to blame but myself. Was wearing helmet but jeans and tank top. Damn near ground off a nipple. Hurt like hell and I deserved it. That was the last time I rode without proper gear and I've stopped riding like a damn squid. Young and dumb or at least younger and dumber.

The important thing is to learn something form your mistake. Accidents happen and often they're beyond our control so all we can do is control the aspects that we can.Dress appropriately,maintain your vehicle properly so it's always in good shape and everything is working properly. Train constantly, don't be afraid to go spend some time in an empty lot practicing your stops and turns. Take a riders course regardless of how long you've had your license. Finally, if you truly feel uncomfortable or unsafe and you choose to stop riding then stop. Peer pressure isn't just for kids and teens. I doubt anyone on this forum would lose any respect for any member who finally decides to hang up their helmet. These friendships have been formed because of bikes but the friendships will continue without them as well.

Whatever your choice, be safe and be well

Glad you are okay...I have been commuting by bike for the past 10 years without issue, except for my low side (due to diesel fuel on a wet road) on July 11th of this year. Changing lanes on the highway in traffic can be sketchy...especially when turning to look back, to change lanes.

Bajaleo - I'm glad you are able to write about this. I'm even more glad that you were not seriously hurt. I've been down 3 times, all 3 were 100% caused by ONLY my ridiculous stupidity, disguised as a momentary lapse in judgment and awareness. In each case, like you, I doubted my willingness to continue accepting the risk. And in each case, I took the wise advice of people on this forum (and others), which of course was the exact same advise that you are offered here.

But after my most recent crash, one particularly special lady on this forum, who happens to have the unfortunate knowledge of experience in this subject, along with the ability to communicate clearly, logically, and empathetically (both in print and in person), offered me what was perhaps the single best piece of advice. And with her assumed blessing, I'll gladly pass it on to you:

The decision to NOT make a decision now is a decision, and a very good one at that.

There is no cost what so ever for giving yourself much needed time to just wait. We spend our entire lives in a digital sea of electronic bullshit. Somehow along the way, the world decided that we always have to be doing something. We always have to try to be more efficient with our time and skills. More production. More results. More, more, MORE!!!!

Despite our efforts, that mentality finds its way into our emotions, and into all facets of our lives. We spend a lifetime training ourselves to do this. Technology and innovation doesn't help this issue at all. I had lunch with a colleague yesterday who was actually working/playing with two cell phones and a laptop, while holding a sandwich in one hand. Poor thing - we didn't get to the 3rd traffic light before she reached in her purse for the anti-acid pill.

It's utterly stupid, really.

This is a big deal and everyone here knows that. You've got to give yourself some time to mentally work through this. You're blaming yourself for what happened and you are questioning things about yourself that go well beyond the motorcycle. I (we) know - we've been there.

They say time heals all wounds, and in this case, I think it has merit. Take some time to just de-compress. When you are ready (days, weeks, or even months from now), go through what happened in your head. Think about the 1,000s of miles that lead up to that accident. Think about what you know and try to identify what you don't know. Do an impartial and personal risk assessment.

Two more tangible suggestions I can offer that REALLY helped me are:

1. Go back to the scene of the crime. I know it's an interstate and that will be hard. Maybe you can go to the shoulder during a very low traffic time. Maybe you can use a service or frontage road - whatever. But for me, physically seeing where it happened played an integral part in learning and really visualizing what I did wrong.

2. Write some thoughts down. You don't have to read them to anyone, although that may be helpful too. What's important is being able to go back to those thoughts with yourself, re-examining those multiple times down the road to see if you still feel that way. This was good or me beyond my expectations.

Work on the bike while you go through this. Shop time can be good mental health. Seeing the bike - even in wrecked form will remind you of the great times you have had on the motorcycle.

Give yourself the time, my friend. We're all in the keyboard corner rooting for you, whatever you decide.

I ride for pleasure, not for transportation. I tried a few times to ride to work on the expressway. I'm sure it varies by city but in metro Detroit the rush hour roads are filled with people with no manners and constantly on their phones. If you leave any space between you and the car ahead of you, someone will speed into it and slam on their brakes so they don't rear-end the person in front. Look in any car and they are looking at their phone.

I'll deal with traffic when on a trip, but found rush hour and stop and go traffic wasn't a bit fun to ride in. (Those same roads are fine outside of rush hour)

Good luck with your decision.

I went down 4 weeks ago. Some gal that couldn't see around a line of cars in the outside lane decided to pull out anyways. Just where I happened to be on the inside lane. (I got "left turned") I had about a second to lock 'em up and start my sideways skid, doing 30 mph. My front fender kissed her front bumper and I went down on the left side of the bandit. Broken rib, shoulder is still sore, most of the road rash has healed. 4 days after the wreck, I was back on the FJR, and the bandit is on the rack in the garage, waiting for parts.

This wreck wasn't my fault. 2 years ago, in the fall, I laid the bandit down at low speed due to some wet leaves (my fault). My dad told me when I started riding that there are only 2 kinds of motorcycle riders. Those that have been down, and those that are going to go down. It's part and parcel of riding a bike. I ride a lot. I had 15,000 miles last year between the 2 bikes. I'm up to 8000 this year (late start due to a long winter) I'm sure there will be another crash in my future. I accept that risk, because to me, it's an acceptable risk when compared to how much enjoyment/satisfaction I get from riding.

Good to hear you came out OK, sometimes it does take a while to sort your thoughts out, but the bottom line is..... Take the time to sort them out.

Bruce

Leo.. I'm 59 also...I have gone twice... totaled my Connie on a curve... and later dropped my FJR on a curve.

Maybe I should stop doing curves....
rolleyes.gif

But I bought a new(er) FJR and continue to ride anytime I can... you should too. This is not a crisis... this is a learning experience!

Thanks for sharing so we can all learn... WATCH OUT IN HEAVY TRAFFIC!

Commuting in a high traffic, congested, low attention-span drivers commuting environment is for people who do not value their lives.

Yes, get back on your bike ASAP. Ride out into the country where traffic is lower and people aren't putting on make-up, shaving, eating their breakfast and otherwise half asleep while they try to shave seconds off their dreary daily commute.

Get an econo-box car to commute, if you must, or else do what you can to eliminate it. I commuted (in a company car) to Boston for far too much of my life. It started out where I was only wasting 6 hours of my life per week, but when it ended (a couple of decades ago) I wasting a minimum of 20 hours a week in the car listening to talk radio just to get into town, not to mention time wasted going cross town between hospitals during the day. At least I was getting paid to do the latter.

Move closer to work, or change jobs, or assignments, so that you do not sacrifice so much of your limited lifespan on that total waste of commuting. It costs a ton of invisible money, even on a bike, and more importantly it is robbing you of your time on earth that you might be enjoying otherwise. Yes, it will require you to think outside of the box. You may have to make adjustments in "lifestyle", but you may be surprised at how easy it becomes when you quit throwing money at your commute.

Commuting on a bike is even more egregious (in high traffic) as you are that much more vulnerable to being snuffed out entirely by some inattentive person who you didn't even know. I really do not understand the thought process of people who are otherwise apparently quite intelligent who justify commuting in city traffic knowing the risks.

We all have our own lives, and we all get to make our own decisions on how to use them. The above is just my opinions on how I choose to use mine.

I went down this summer on my big annual tour. I was riding my GSA, coming up to a green light, when a minivan blew right through the red light in front of me.

I hammered the brakes and got the big girl stopped a couple of feet from where the minivan blew through the intersection. I lost my balance, though, and dropped the bike on its side. My riding buddies stopped to help me pick it up - the minivan was gone and nobody around even bothered to get out of their vehicles (thanks for nothing, Gypsum, CO, a**holes). I caught the whole thing on my Sena video camera, so I can go back and review the incident. It still makes my heart race to watch it.

I was a bit shaken up but we had some miles to go, so I mounted up, took a couple of deep breaths and rode on. After about 1/2hr, I forgot about the drop and enjoyed rest of the ride.The GSA is a pretty tough bike, the FJR would have suffered some damage from the drop.

If you are riding in town, definitely get a video camera on the bike. It is great to look at and see what you could have done better (and prove that you had the green light!). I have an Innov two channel on the FJR.

I'm glad you were not hurt. Good on ya for being situationally aware and not resting your laurels on the green light.

A lot of us have had a thing like this happen. It happened to me twice in two years. Last week I was in Chicago traffic on the way to the dentist and I wasn't riding the FJR. I have a Yamaha TMAX that I use for most of my Chicago commuting, and use the FJR for my trips and adventures more. I was at a red traffic light. When the light turned green I was fixing the strap on my glve and didn't start out immediately. The young fellow in the car behind me started the second the light turned green and drove into the back of the TMAX. It broke my rear fender, scratched up some fiberglass (dropped and fell off the bike). That was about it. I did fly off the bike, but I was ATGATT and didn't get hurt other tan a little soar in the right ribs. The young fellow thought he killed me at first and was so sorry it was hard to imagine. I didn't want to be late for the dentist and didn't wait for the police and paramedics. I had him give me his D/L and Ins. information with a note he wrote saying he drove into the back of my stopped bike and that it was all his fault. I'm still waiting to get the damages paid for. I think the Schuberth S2 helmet may have been worth more then the damage to the bike.

Then last summer on a very rainy day a pedestrian ran in front of my FJR. I had to slam the brakes and skidded into a pickup truck to avoid the pedestrian. Wrecked the FJR, but ATGATT and all I suffered was a cut on my shin. The summer before that I was waiting to make a left turn standing still in traffic on a BMW C 650 when a lady on her cell phone rear ended me, wrecked the bike and bang me up a bunch, but ATGATT and no injury for the hospital.

I'm 61 and I commute in Chicago on bikes every day as well as ride for adventure most weekends. Like last weekend, I know a lady in Indianapolis that wanted to do a two up M/C trip, so I took her from Indy to Corbin, KY on Saturday, then the hurricane made Kentucky rain all day Sunday so we just went back instead of exploring and going back at night. So I did Chicago to Indy Friday night after work. Indy to Corbin on Saturday and Corbin to Indy to Chicago on Sunday. That's a normal weekend for me other than the two up part. In the last twelve months I put about 25k mles on the FJR, about 15k on my TMAX and another 12k on a Honda DN-01. If you ride 50k a year something is bound to happen especially if a good part of it is in the traffic of a megoplois like Chicago, NY, LA, DC, Atlanta, Boston, or such.

Personally I'd get back on the bike and figure that I learned two lessons.

1. ATGATT has to be a religion when riding.

2. That you need to be more attentive to space and traffic. Like others have said you need to know what the cars in front of the car in front of you are doing. That's why I get especially frustrated in commuter traffic when two tall wide vehicles are running side to side in front of me. Because now I can't see what the cars in front of the car in front of me are doing.

Again best of luck what ever you decide.

Latest posts