WFO 09 Highways to Eureka!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarWestFastEddie

Reaction score
Only two highways will lead you into Eureka, 101 Northbound and 101 Southbound, other highways connect to the 101,

From the north, at Crescent City, highway 199 drops in out of sw Oregon, following the Smith River, this highway has both

55 and 65 mph zones and has local CHP patrols, River and rock bluffs, and DumbAss tourists puttering along at 20mph can

get frustrating, lots of areas to get past the slow pokes.

Highway 101 from Crescent City you will notice natures free air conditioning, temps will range low 60's to maybe mid 70's.

This highway has only one 65mph zone which starts just south of Del Norte county line where it is four lane highway, the

old highway is now called the Bypass, 4 miles south of the Humboldt/Del Norte county line, it is a slow old highway, you are

about to enter the 101 Autobahn, for the next twelve miles south, you have huge new highway, sweeping high speed turns

and the best part, its on the very north end of Humboldt CHP patrol, which is almost never patrolled. Do watch out for ELK.

just as this new highway ends, you will encounter the old highway, and this area is where Brodie gave an Elk an ennema

while enroute the WFO 08. Highway 101 South continues thru the trees until Big Lagoon, then freeway to Eureka, take the

Samoa blvd road then over the Samoa bridge into town, or not..

101 Northbound can be connected by several highways, of which are the infamous 36 at Alton, 20 at Lucerne and 1 at Legget.

all beautiful highways, a lovely detour ride is the Avenue of the Giants, from Phillipsville north to Pepperwood, is the old

highway, huge trees, Eel river and lots of on ramps if you get tired of slow assed tourists in pigmobiles.

Highways 96 connects to 299 at Willow Creek, and 299 comes into the 101 at Arcata, 299 from Redding to Eureka is one of

the best scenic and enjoyable rides, just past Whiskeytown damn, you will climb Buckhorn, super tight twisties with lots of

passing lanes, you will do scratch some pegs. then on to Weaverville, and will hit Oregon Mt. once you start down, just

past the twisties, you will see a very long straightaway, maybe over 1 mile long, BEWARE!!!! on the west end of this

Straightaway, sitting in the shade will be a sinister black and white car running radar, he gets you regardless of direction.

Once you get past the miles and miles of river and canyons, you will get to Willow Creek, enjoy the warm weather for the

last time, only two more summits till the fog, once you clear Berry Summit, and climb Lord Ellis, you will start to notice you

are not sweating, and in a few more miles, just about the time you get to the CHP Scales, if you have not put on extra layer

of clothing, you are either numb or just enjoying being able to ride in your protective gear, in the summer!

Highway 36, though a favorite of many of the FJR Forum is really a rough, poorly maintained highway on the Humboldt County

side, the Trinity County side is slightly better, and I have not been on the Tehama side, it does have the very famous twisty

sign, and the Madriver Burger Bar has burgers that are out of this world, as are the burgers at the Nobrand Burgerstand in

Ferndale.

In the future, I will post some dining and drinking spots in the Humboldt Bay-Eureka! region, and of course some spots to

avoid,,,, Do bring your cooler weather gear, Eureka rarely gets above 77' in the summer!!

FWFE

. . . Eureka rarely gets above 77' in the summer!!
And damn seldom hits that. Thanks for the report, Eddie. And ditto on the black and whites. 101 and all the major east-west roads in the area are pretty darn heavily patrolled. CHP seldom give warnings, either, I happen to know. And yet, I'm sure looking forward to this shindig.

Eddie, great report. Ok, i'm really going to have to make this meet. Mike, we (wife and I ) were just in your neck of the woods yesterday. Did a southern loop down 50 to icehouse :yahoo: (cleeeaaan), to Placerville, up 49 to Auburn and back to Reno. Perfect day.

Eddie, great report. Ok, i'm really going to have to make this meet. Mike, we (wife and I ) were just in your neck of the woods yesterday. Did a southern loop down 50 to icehouse :yahoo: (cleeeaaan), to Placerville, up 49 to Auburn and back to Reno. Perfect day.
Did you ride Icehouse to Wentworth Springs into Georgetown and then into Placerville on 193? Was Wentworth Springs also clear? This would be music to our ears for this weekend :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you ride Icehouse to Wentworth Springs into Georgetown and then into Placerville on 193? Was Wentworth Springs also clear? This would be music to our ears for this weekend :)

That was the original plan. Unfortunately, Wentworth is still snowed in so we reversed and went down 50. Icehouse is so clean it is worth the trip alone.Had a chance to really give the new Angel ST's a good scrubbing in.

One ride that if you can find the road you do not want to miss is a very little known forest service road that is paved going between Hwy 36 and Hwy 299. You can find it on Hwy 36 about a 1/2 mile east of the Mad River burger bar (gas station), turn left and head up the hill (I believe it is called Berry Sumit-Mad River Road) The road is called forest service road NF-1 also and goes about 56 miles to hwy 299. Has a couple of other paved roads off of it along the way that goe east. I haven't explored them. This road is mostly lane to lane and 1/2 road, nice tight twisties with absolutely some of the best views in northern California.

From the Hwy 299 end, you can find the road about 5 miles west of Willow Creek as you near the top of a grade, turn south on Titlow Road which eventually becomes Berry Summit-Mad River Road-NF-1.

Last summer we saw 4 cars and 2 motorcycles on this road. Bring a lunch, there are plenty of scenic spots to pull off and have lunch and enjoy the views. This road follows the ridge line so you get views both east and west.

One ride that if you can find the road you do not want to miss is a very little known forest service road that is paved going between Hwy 36 and Hwy 299. You can find it on Hwy 36 about a 1/2 mile east of the Mad River burger bar (gas station), turn left and head up the hill (I believe it is called Berry Sumit-Mad River Road) The road is called forest service road NF-1 also and goes about 56 miles to hwy 299. Has a couple of other paved roads off of it along the way that goe east. I haven't explored them. This road is mostly lane to lane and 1/2 road, nice tight twisties with absolutely some of the best views in northern California.
From the Hwy 299 end, you can find the road about 5 miles west of Willow Creek as you near the top of a grade, turn south on Titlow Road which eventually becomes Berry Summit-Mad River Road-NF-1.

Last summer we saw 4 cars and 2 motorcycles on this road. Bring a lunch, there are plenty of scenic spots to pull off and have lunch and enjoy the views. This road follows the ridge line so you get views both east and west.
That is a good one. We were on it with the norcal group last year. It was fog and mist for us but the group ahead of us said it was good.

That is a good one. We were on it with the norcal group last year. It was fog and mist for us but the group ahead of us said it was good.
+1 Did that the weekend of June 9, 2006 at a Blackbird meet, though we got stopped around the summit by a snowdrift too deep to get through and hd to return south to 36. Before we ran into tat drift, there was a huge westward facing "dirt parking area" in which we managed to cram about 40 bikes for everyone to take panoramic shots of all the bikes with one of the most stunning views to the west. One guy from Colorado ended up with a flat rear tire he (and several helpers) tried to patch with moderate success -- a spent .22LR casing somehow punctured his tire, making a bigger tire than any of the repair kits would adequately seal. Ended up trailering him back from the intersection of NF 1 and 36 to a shop in Redding, where he purchased a new rear tire.

From 299 it is Titlow Hill Road......

If you are bored you can run it with me and Roy

.R