What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dropped off at Alex's Realtimeindustries to enable him to generate Gen III reflective stickers for the bags and fairing as well as some clear protective film hobbies for the fairing and tank.
Perfect! Alex will have some GEN III goodies when my time comes!! One never knows...

--G

I replaced a casualty of excessive lean angle:

Of course there was a discussion with Dear Old Dad about choosing the proper line, softening suspension settings and then loading heavily for a trip...

It is somehow STILL my fault for going in too hot! Not really. Pop knows exactly what happened and who is to blame. What actually bothers me is that up to now regardless of load if my ST1300 will make the corner Pop can certainly do so on the FJR. Now there is less safety factor and I have to re-calibrate myself.

We also had a discussion about custom seats. No concrete decision has been made but I can tell you all that as of this morning the lead time on a Russell is sometime in September. The Top Sellerie is a nice seat but nothing is better than a true custom seat.

Starting to get ready for my 2 week Vacation Ride to the Divide, which is only ~10 days away now.
Re-Installed an old Vista Cruise throttle lock, that may come in handy out in the bread basket. A throttle rocker is all I generally need around here.

Installed a new Dark Smoke shield on my Scorpion EXO-900 and mi-lady's HJC SyMax to help in the expected bright sun conditions. Will have to carry along the clear shields in case of crappy weather or eclipses.

Also mounted a Laminar Lip (that I already had) onto the medium sized Cee Bailey windshield that I've been favoring lately. I have the CB mounted on a Rifle tuning block, so it doesn't go up all that high, but I can drive it way down to get a lot of cooling air to the bod. With the LL added, it will extend the shield's max height, in case of inclement weather, and will also help reduce the head buffeting on the endless days of slabdom needed to reach WY and MT, but doesn't really add much height as the lowest position.

The other thing I did was perform yet another flavor of RDCUA TBS. This time I closed the air screws off and synched the 4 throttles using the mechanical linkage screws, paying special attention to how they behaved as I slowly rolled on some throttle (normal per the procedure). But, then instead of opening all 4 air screws up a given amount, I left them closed. At idle there were 2 throttles that had slightly higher vacuum, so I only opened those two bypass air screws enough to get the vacuum down on thoise two down to to the others. Maybe 1/4 turn on each

My thinking was that this would then require me to dial in the largest idle stop increase (remember this is a 1st gen) which would result in the throttle butterflies being more open since less bypass air was being allowed.

It seemed to work well. I really like this state of tune the best of any I've done yet. I have ultra smoothness from idle right up to about 3800 rpm. From 3800 to about 4500 is a bit buzzy. But then from 4500 up to 5500 is ultra smooth again. After that you just get back some of the normal high rpm buzz, some may be the old tires I'm waiting to change until next week. That 4500 - 5500 rpm will be key on the highway as that translates to 80-90 mph in 5th gear on a 1st gen.
Just hop on and go. The bike will not let you down as long as you keep an eye on your oil and tires.
grin.gif

Just hop on and go. The bike will not let you down as long as you keep an eye on your oil and tires.
grin.gif
Oh, I have no doubt. But you know us type "A" engineering types. Besides... what else would I do while I have to wait the 10 more days I have before I leave? Besides, I'll be doing a last minute oil change and spooning on a new set of tahrs sometime in the next week. That covers your entire extensive trip list. ;)

grin.gif
Oh, I have no doubt. But you know us type "A" engineering types. Besides... what else would I do while I have to wait the 10 more days I have before I leave? Besides, I'll be doing a last minute oil change and spooning on a new set of tahrs sometime in the next week. That covers your entire extensive trip list.
wink.png
Good on you for thinking ahead - I did both...except the tires went on 6 hours before I left...wouldn't plan it that way.

Is there no better feeling than a loaded bike, freshly washed, with a brand new oil change for those extra silky smooth gear changes, and a brand new set of shoes for the long distance tour? I get kind of giddy just thinking about it.. guess I'm one of those type-A'ers as well.

The happiness I get from the Pre Trip Maintenance is immeasurable. Pop really enjoys watching me work on his bike too.

I seriously feel much more at ease if I know I have done the maintenance and prepped the bike as well as I know how. It makes my trip that much better.

Took off a couple last items from the bike, before the insurance company make off with it in the morning. I must say, it's kinda odd that an insurance settlement payout is so much more than any private sale would net for the bike undamaged. Who knew?
smile.png

Tried ANOTHER windshield today. This is the third Cee Bailey I have installed on Pop's FJR. I think we may have finally got it.

Yes, a crappy cell phone pic.

This one is a Cee Bailey +2W +2H reverse contour in light gray. Pop was completely happy with the look and the performance. I took it for a quick ride myself.
smile.png

I never understand why I cannot ride the FJR like an adult. My ST1300 behaves itself, the FJR always makes me young and foolish.

Edit: Thanks NitroMan. I appreciate the deal on the windshield. It is always a pleasure doing business with another forum member.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put air in the rear tire because it leaks from a botched plug repair.....I'm a type "A" guy when it comes to maintenance on my skooter.

edit: Okay, I'm a type "B" guy.

Thankfully I blead and adjusted the brakes last night. Officer freindly was sitting around the corner this morning and I had to scrub off speed real quick. Also fixed my 12V connection to my LR4's. My suggestion is not to buy the overly priced ADVrider switch. Supplied connections suck. I cut the other two out on the original install since I had problems then. should have done all three.

All's well,

Dave

New Tahrs (PR2 rear and Conti Motion front), and a fresh earl change.

The B4 is fully prepped for our "Vacation Ride to the Divide".

6 more sleeps, if I can get any that is...

Dropped my 13 against a guard rail in Vermont at App Gap. (just scratches)

LED lights went dark in an 5 hour frog strangler in the Adirondacks.

Looks like I've got some work to do. :/

Rode her to work today. Haven't been paying much attention to the old girl. Had a stone that was killing me (finally flushed that sucker) fixed my leaky fork seal with my soda bottle sealmate, plugged my rear tire after finding a screw imbedded. Taking a break from home renovations and the son's wedding is out of the way. So last week Checked the seal (holding) Checked the plug (holding) So resummed normal commuting on the FJR. Boy did I miss the old girl.
rolleyes.gif

Looked at it sitting there with no seats...hope to get them back from Seth Laam soon.
Joe, hell throw a towel or pillow over it and go for a ride....I've seen that before....
punk.gif
Changed the oil & filter on mine.
No thanks...I'm waiting on the seat...Seth will be taking delivery today (a day early). I called just to let him know. He said he'll call me tomorrow to discuss the build.

Changed the oil & filter, having a new Angel GT put on the front. Heading out on Weds morn for a 5 day ride-round-the block via Asheville, NC; Bowling Green , KY and Evansville, IN to visit with friends.