What is the best tank bag for the fjr? Ideas Please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flynfjr

Reaction score
I have been looking for the a good fitting tank bag. Any Ideas suggestions would be helpfull. The Wolfman Explorer Lite looks good does anyone have one and how do you like it?

I will be the first of a bunch of disparate replies. I use the cortech tribag tankbag. It is a little big but it fits a TON of stuff and is modular.

I use the engage XL, from twistedthrottle.com. It mounts on a ring that attaches to your gas cap ring. It sits above the tank so you won't have to worry about scratching. And it goes on and off as easy as a magnetic mount bag. They also have a powered ring set up available if you want a powered bag. I love it. Look in my other post about having the camera out today there are pictures in that post.

I use the engage XL, from twistedthrottle.com. It mounts on a ring that attaches to your gas cap ring. It sits above the tank so you won't have to worry about scratching. And it goes on and off as easy as a magnetic mount bag. They also have a powered ring set up available if you want a powered bag. I love it. Look in my other post about having the camera out today there are pictures in that post.
+1 but have the smaller Engage with electric ring.

Are those gas cap ring bags "lockable"? Not the zipper bits, but the attachment to the cap ring?

If its too convenient, I might be worried about it walking off when on a trip.

Are those gas cap ring bags "lockable"? Not the zipper bits, but the attachment to the cap ring?
If its too convenient, I might be worried about it walking off when on a trip.
I also have an engage tank bag and love it. As far as being lockable, no it is not. But neither is any other bag that I know of.

Mac

I have been looking for the a good fitting tank bag. Any Ideas suggestions would be helpfull. The Wolfman Explorer Lite looks good does anyone have one and how do you like it?
I have the Wolfman Explorer which I carried over from my Vstrom when I sold it. Keep in mind the Wolfman bags are designed for the sloping tanks on adventure touring bikes and they don't sit just right on the FJR. I'd go with the Cortech bags - which is wha my plan is to do.

Scott

I have the Nelson-Rigg CL350 large, and a smaller bag would not have worked for me on that trip. I had interference with the bars in parking lot situations, if I wasn't watching it I would hit the kill switch on the bag. Solution is just to keep my thumb on the bottom of the switch in tight maneuvers. (My bars are up and back on Heli risers.) Other than that it was perfect.

I looked real hard at the Cortech giant 3-piece bag, but thought it might be just a bit TOO big. Pricier, too, of course.

I have the official Yamaha bag. It is magnetic and shifts easily to fill-up. I put my GPS in the map window. Plenty of room and expandable. Plus it says Yamaha on the side in case you forget what you are riding. :rolleyes:

Around town...Cortech Mini Mag

Trips..............Cortech 18L Mag

Extremely happy with them...both serve their purpose perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:

i'm about to pull the trigger on some stuff from twistedthrottle.com. Looking at the Trip to start with and one of the Engage ones. They've got the Engage XL, but the Engage Sport looks good as well.

Got any pics of the XL on the bike? I'm initially looking at putting these on the MV, but looks quite useful on the FJR. I've got the Euro Yamaha bag already, which is quite handy.

Did you get the GPS mount? I'm mostly looking at it for that.

cheers,

-colin

I have recently acquired this bag: Rapid Transit

And, I love this bag. It looks good and is huge inside. Mine came from a dealer's shop and came with the built-in hydration bag. I think with the link, it is sold separately.

I have the Yamaha Euro tankbag. Fit great, has loads of space, is expandable and looks great I think.

No longer imported by FJR Goodies, but may be available in Canada, the Netherlands, or elsewhere in Europe for lots and lots of teeny tiny US dollars!

FJRTankbag.jpg

So for SW-MOTECH bags....

who has these? I'd like to see how they fit.... I like the Engage Sport one... but most gas caps are set a bit further back...wonder if there is some rubbing on the tank if you mount it back on the bag so far?

9013-350x350.jpg

I wonder if the engage XL fits better?

9346-350x350.jpg

-colin