What is the preferred boot of the FJR riders?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you prefer/own the 3/4 length or the tall (shin) protection

• 3/4 length (maximum protection/ waterproof) Gortex or similar

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • 3/4 length (medium protection/waterproof) Gortex or similar

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • 3/4 length (moderate protection/ maximum airflow)

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Tall length (moderate protection/waterproof) Gortex or similar

Votes: 31 28.4%
  • Tall length (maximum protection/waterproof) Goretex or similar

Votes: 34 31.2%

• Total voters

FJR-RemingtonRider

Their Sunset / My Sunrise
Reaction score
Knowing this is a destined topic, just curious with the many FJR riders, and forum members.

Which is the preferred style of boot of the FJR rider?

There is the daily riding and the trip touring riding.

Do you have a different boot style for each or do you wear the same boot for every ride?

Which style is it? 3/4 or Full (shin protection)?

Just retired my Oxtar Infinities after 6 years and replaced them with TCX (formerly Oxtar) X-Deserts . . . I prefer a taller but with a good amount of protection.

My next pair will BMW boots. I am happy with what I have very comfortable but I would like more protection in the event of a crash.

Dave

Due to the versatility of this particular Bike, I've worn about everything from leather athletic lace-up shoes(breakfast or shopping runs) to my most protective boots(which are only 10" or so). Admittedly I don't have any hardcore riding boots with toe or ankle sliders.

But regardless what I wear, some tread on the leading outside edge will usually drag the pavement at some point!

Back around '05 there was local motorcycle shop that was a bricks 'n mortar store for a web site. While I disliked the sleazy, slimy sales guy he was on to some good gear. I bought Gaerne boots from him that I wore for ~7+ years that were cool in the summer, warm in the winter and never leaked a drop. What's more, they were more comfortable than my bedroom slippers. But, all good things come to an end and I don't like the current crop of Gaerne boots so last year I went with $$$BMW$$$ $$$boots$$$ that are fit/function/comfort equivalent of of the Gaerne boots. If you have a strong financial foundation you should consider looking at $$$BMW$$$ boots. They are fully protected, all weather, all season foot gear that wears like slippers. I have an additional problem with lots of metal in an ankle and the 'shoe' part of the boot is cut down at the ankle which lets me be able to walk with them like a tennis shoe. Sleazy let me try on lots of boots from all the common companies where I found the Gaerne boots to be better 'n the rest and the $$$BMW$$$ boots are equivalent.

Edit: Since I last looked at boots I see that Gaerne has added a new line of "King Touring" boots which I would definitely look at when the $$$BMW$$$ boots need replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently, I have a set of Sidi Way boots. They've done pretty well, water proof and the fit was right. Very comfortable except for in temps above 90 where they get hot.

My all time favorite go to boot is a set of Danner Acadia boots I got issued in the late 90's by the Marine Corps. They are 14-15 years old and still in great shape. They've provided many comfortable miles both on two wheels and originally as my daily utility uniform boot. They are my fall, cold & rainy go-to boot to this day.

I wear Oxtar Matrix boots. They were discontinued just before I bought them so they were discounted. They offer excellent protection, are entirely waterproof, and very comfortable for riding, walking, and even hiking. I have worn them for all of my riding, about 140k miles, for the past eight years. They are showing a little wear, but still very functional and I'll look for something similar if I ever need to replace them.

I have multiple pairs for different plans but Sidi is my favorite. Mesh in hotter weather and full waterproof for most of the year.

Aerostich Combat Lites have served me well the last four years. I live near Duluth which lets me use the factory retail store for fitting plus walk ins get a discount.

3/4 Ht TCX boots for the past couple years and I really enjoy them, and they are holding up well. Previously had Alpinestars and they seemed to wear out quickly.

I have a pair of Alpinestar Web Goretex for cold weather or year-round longer rides that are likely to involve rain. They're comfortable to walk in, too. I also wanted a pair of everyday boots that offered some protection while being comfortable to walk in. I just picked up a pair of Joe Rocket Velocity V2X riding shoes that fit the bill. I think of them as my armored tennishoes. I sold the other, less comfortable boots I had.

I have a pair of Alpinestar Web Goretex for cold weather or year-round longer rides that are likely to involve rain. They're comfortable to walk in, too. I also wanted a pair of everyday boots that offered some protection while being comfortable to walk in. I just picked up a pair of Joe Rocket Velocity V2X riding shoes that fit the bill. I think of them as my armored tennishoes. I sold the other, less comfortable boots I had.
I also use the Alpinestar Web Gortex boots. Very comfortable and waterproof too.

I've been wearing a pair of Sidi Discovery boots for the past couple of years and have been really happy with them. They are comfortable to walk around in as long as I don't go on a hike. For general errands and grocery shopping around town they are as comfortable as any boot. I think they are listed as only water resistant, but for the few short downbursts I've been in they were dry.

Very satisfied customer.

My Sidi's fit me perfect. I also like that there's no laces, zip and velcro. They are original Vertebra's from around 2000 and lately the velcro is finally starting to wear out. Sucks because I can't afford new boots right now.

I also use the Alpinestar Web Gortex.
smile.png

Joe Rocket Meteors for long hauls or bad weather. Oakley desert boots for around town when I may be walking or hanging out. Could not let retirement kill such a great pair of boots.

Because I am new to the sport and don't know any better I bought a pair of Sidi Armada Gore-Tex. A combination Adventure/Touring boot. I really like them - comfortable and maximum protection. Around town I wear a pair of lace up Timberlands.