What is wrong with you people?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At 78, there's something approaching a 10% chance of my dying if I catch it. Please don't breath on me whether or not you have symptoms, even if you are wearing a mask. 

Meanwhile I shall continue to make solo rides out as and when I want, much safer than catching Covid-19, at least for me. 

You couldn't. That's why, as a courtesy to others that who may have pre-existing conditions, you put on a mask while around others.
I've been certified for wearing proper fitting rubber seal N 95 masks for over 30 years and I can tell you without a rubber seal and no facial hair your little mask does about as much good at stopping a virus as underwear does at stopping a fart.  That and the second you touch that mask with your hands all bets are off.  Doesn't mean I don't carry and use one when necessary.

Herd immunity and anti-vaxers are in conflict about this right now. The % of infection/recovery have been hashed and rehashed with there being a concern than the % needed can't outstrip the virus' ability to spread without widespread vaccinations in the face of conspiracy theorists.
IF there was a vaccine today would you talk it knowing all the side effects?    I'm not sure I would this early in the game.

It's the perfectly-crafted no-win situation for an opposition party. Do something and get labeled a xenophobic racist. Do nothing and get labeled as an out-of-touch oligarch.

Totally agree, too bad this has been so politicized. 

Or, maybe, the coming-together approach would be, "Take your personal situation into consideration and be considerate to those you don't know who may be facing issues you are clueless about." You know, like riders are supposed to be considerate of other riders.

My riding has always included social distancing-I stay the hell out of large metro areas. Small town folk are happy to take my money when their livelihoods depend on trade.  I have asked in these small communities about the covid situation and the reply has been there are no or only a couple cases in the area. 

I don’t disagree about clothe masks not stopping the virus. Having worn mop and nbc gear, i understand. 

No one is talking about stopping individual virus cells though. Any mitigation of water droplets is better than none.

Wouldn’t it be great if we were forced to dream about those who were hurt because of our indifference?

Wait... This thread started off about ME! Not Covid. I don't play down Covid but I'm sure there are lots of threads about Covid and this isn't one of them.

Back on topic...

So after writing this I was to meet a friend today for lunch today and I decided to... RIDE MY BIKE THERE! That was fun! I got out and did about 50 miles round trip. I also realized that my wonderful battery of seven years needs to be replaced. God bless the Battery Tender. It's kept my none riding bike charged for five years but it's starting to get weak. I usually replaced my battery when riding daily about every other year.

Now more talk about riding... Carry on...

Wednesday I rode another 50 or so miles to a friend's house. Pretty soon it'll be Iron Butt time! Not...

We had some new Rocky Patel 1979 Cameroon's we had to try, they were pretty good!

Hey ya pussy, get out and ride damnit!    Don't like me calling you names?   Ride up here and kick my arse.  (after dinner and a few beverages first)

I'm pushing 10,000 miles since June.   Red Lodge on the S10, Idaho on the KLR, Minnesota on the Wing and last week Jarbidge Nv on the S10.  Covid?  Phuck that, I ain't stopping living because I'm afraid of dying.
Too bad more folks don't subscribe to that way of thinking! Covinoia has too many paralyzed with fear. And fear is a great motivator sadly.
If ya wanna wait around for death you're going to miss out on a lot of things.

Health wise I've been through a shitload of trials and am currently fighting with prostate cancer. But I sure as heck ain't gonna lay down and wait!

And Simon? Go back to fruit of the loom panties for shit sakes! Those Mack Weldons you're wearing make you look fat! 😁

I bought a new 2020 Tracer GT 900 back in February and it doesn't even have 1K miles on it yet. 

Boring riding alone, just use it for quick trips around town. Hope this Covid crap is over after the election.  

Too bad more folks don't subscribe to that way of thinking! Covinoia has too many paralyzed with fear. And fear is a great motivator sadly.
If ya wanna wait around for death you're going to miss out on a lot of things.

Health wise I've been through a shitload of trials and am currently fighting with prostate cancer. But I sure as heck ain't gonna lay down and wait!

And Simon? Go back to fruit of the loom panties for shit sakes! Those Mack Weldons you're wearing make you look fat! 😁
Hey B I'll take that advice and be praying for your prostate. Wait... that sounds weird. But it's you Barry, so that's okay.

And yes I'll try some other panties. Can you loan me yours? Hugs and kisses! 

I'm sorry to hear this Kevin, has to suck. Do you know where/how you picked it up?  
I have no idea. The last thing that I touched was the door of the grocery store maybe I got it from there but its still a mystery.  

Also, The oxygen levels were normal through out but I was extremely lethargic and lost the sense of taste and smell. 

I can relate to the OP's question.  For me, I think the end of my commute to work broke my desire to ride as much.  I didn't expect that.  I live in semi-rural KY so my ride to work is pretty traffic free anyway for 12 minutes. Or I can take the long route through the country for half an hour where I have a few decent curves to practice on with some smooth straights. This was a cyclical impact because putting these miles on made me want to ride more and often would get "lost" on the way home. 

It's about getting a routine going and all my routines have been broken.  This started last year when I started working for a different division, but it became more final with Covid since they don't want me to come in.  I just got notified this morning they are giving away my office and I need to go in and get my stuff after 25 years there.  Hey, I'm still employed so I can't feel bad about that. 

The point is I need to establish some new habits that include riding. I believe emotional inertia is a real thing. Starting something is much harder than keeping it going.  If one of my enjoyments in life is being out on a bike, I STILL have to make regular opportunities to go out and do it or I will find it's too hard to get motivated to do it. 

I wonder how far I have to ride to find that good Gouda cheese?

I wonder how far I have to ride to find that good Gouda cheese?
Ask, and ye shall receive.

https://mariekegouda.com/

Thorp, Wisconsin. Marieke is a cool lady. She won the international cheese competition a few years ago in Madison, Wisconsin, for best Gouda in the WORLD. On my wife's birthday a few years ago, she gave us a personal tour of her operation, and it's very impressive. My wife got to sit down in the hay with a 9-hour-old calf, and she was in heaven. If you make it there, do NOT leave without also buying some of the Nolechek's Gouda Bratwurst. That alone is worth the three hour backroad ride (one way, twisty alphabet route) for me. Enjoy.

Ask, and ye shall receive.

https://mariekegouda.com/

Thorp, Wisconsin. Marieke is a cool lady. She won the international cheese competition a few years ago in Madison, Wisconsin, for best Gouda in the WORLD. On my wife's birthday a few years ago, she gave us a personal tour of her operation, and it's very impressive. My wife got to sit down in the hay with a 9-hour-old calf, and she was in heaven. If you make it there, do NOT leave without also buying some of the Nolechek's Gouda Bratwurst. That alone is worth the three hour backroad ride (one way, twisty alphabet route) for me. Enjoy.
YUM! That's 550 miles of mostly boring IL roads for me, but still... 

While I completely understand Bust's frustration, we learned that we have 2 or 3 branches of the family just test positive in the past week. Most are young and all are from family units NOT in metroplexes. Think communities of chin-diaper-wearing mofos (at best) and more like the small communities I've traveled through during this mess; no masks at all and obviously thinking they'll either get a pass because of their age or dismiss any concerns because they bought into the conspiracy theories.

One family is the mother and son (say 6 yo). They don't know yet about the toddler. They went to grandma's (my Sister in Law) where they spent time while dad picked up some tools from gramps. Then they spent time with others and Gandma and Grandpa spent time with others. Another is my other daughters in-law families. My Son in Law's maternal family had a slew test positive so they aren't seeing them during the holidays at all. Great Grandma got COVID a while back, was in the hospital on respirators, and was shifted to a rehab center. Grandma (SiL's Mom) didn't like the place, so brought GGrandmom home to care for her personally. Daughter and SiL explained that meant NO contact with their family until GGMom is all well. Meanwhile that whole side of the family is sequestering and his paternal side of the family is being safer too.

Now all are self-isolating within their own homes for 14 days and waiting. Sure a lot easier to mitigate things ahead of time as best we can.

These are the first, first-hand accounts I've known for the whole year (instead of reports from others).

It's about getting a routine going and all my routines have been broken.
Ain't it the truth. I was on my way to my first try at losing weight and had lost 75lb. But once retired, all my routines went out the window and I gained it all + back. That was the eventual motivation to today where I've lost about 110 lb and still holding it off with a goal (lofty and probably not do-able) of getting back to my post-army weight of 175.

I don’t disagree about clothe masks not stopping the virus. Having worn mop and nbc gear, i understand. 

No one is talking about stopping individual virus cells though. Any mitigation of water droplets is better than none.

Wouldn’t it be great if we were forced to dream about those who were hurt because of our indifference?
Mop and NBC gear, been there done that. Summer at Ft Bragg sucked for NBC training.