what would you have to do to put cruise control on 2012 from a newer bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I expect the cruise control is integrated with the ECU as opposed to being a separate unit which could be installed in a bike not designed for it. I doubt that it is possible to take the guts from a CC on a 2013+ bike and retrofit into a 2012.

Lots of people have installed Rostra or Audiovox cruise control units with good success - the latter is no longer available. You can do a search for the Rostra CC on this site - includes a bunch of info on installation. This is one of the better links, but there are many others.

https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/gen-ii-rostra-cruise-control-install.167655/
For a "Plug'n Play solution, there is MCCruise, although not inexpensive.
https://www.mccruise.com/collection...13-electric-servo?_pos=1&_fid=a7a713c33&_ss=c

what would it take to put cruise control ON 2012 FJR from a newer bike.
Reverse engineer every detail in the computer and components that Yamaha fundamentally redesigned in the Gen 3 2013 bike and either customize or manufacture, install, and troubleshoot the necessary parts and code.

or

Buy a 2013 and, print a label "2012", and tack it on the nose.

I'll let you guess which one is the more sarcastic option. ;)

BTW, the cruise to the 2013 only goes to 80 mph. 2014+ are 100. *That* issue can be worked around, I believe, by a CPU swap or sending to a tuner.

If you can find an old Audiovox on eBay--that would be my preferred option. However, I went with a 2014 as an upgrade to my 2005 and never been happier.

Since the 2013+ is throttle-by-wire, and that's how the cruise manages the throttle (electronically,) it simply can't be made to work on pre-2013. It's not a separate package of electronics or mechanicals, as stated above. The aftermarket is all you can do. I've had an Audiovox on my 2003 that I installed right after I bought the bike in 2007, and it's worked great. Rostra is the same controls unit, basically, but electric instead of vacuum on the throttle actuation. McCruise is pricey, but custom made for the bike, not a 1-size-fits-all that you have to properly adapt.