What are buttons for?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found these specs for a 2008 FJR 1300 AE on almotorcycle.com
" Variable heated grips keep hands warm on cool days or evenings ".
Yep. On all AE from 2006 until the model was discontinued in North America. Connectors existed in early "A" models so the (expensive) heated grips kit from Yamaha could be easily installed. Not 100% sure, but I think heated grips didn't become factory standard on all Gen II until 2011.

Ack! All this talk of 'factory heated grips' is puckering my anal-retentive meter!

There was no such thing as 'factory heated grips' on a 2008 FJR sold in the USA. There was a 'Yamaha Accessory Heated Grips' you could purchase and install yourself, or have a dealer do it.
Oki, mine is European, and theye hade factory heated grips on the 2008 as mod. Mine has one. And it's not aftermarket installed. Or maby it is Yamaha Accessory, but it came with the bike new.

Yep. On all AE from 2006 until the model was discontinued in North America. Connectors existed in early "A" models so the (expensive) heated grips kit from Yamaha could be easily installed. Not 100% sure, but I think heated grips didn't become factory standard on all Gen II until 2011.
A little nube question.... In Europe we have the AS ( auto shift), without the chluch lever, which I have.... But in the USA there isn't AS..... Is it the same as AE,..... and stands for??..... ES mod.......stands for electronic suspension??. I little bit confusing, the European, and USA " titiling".

A little nube question.... In Europe we have the AS ( auto shift), without the chluch lever, which I have.... But in the USA there isn't AS..... Is it the same as AE,..... and stands for??..... ES mod.......stands for electronic suspension??. I little bit confusing, the European, and USA " titiling".
In the US the AE designates the Electric shift model

I found these specs for a 2008 FJR 1300 AE on almotorcycle.com
" Variable heated grips keep hands warm on cool days or evenings ".
I remember wanting the heated grips but I didn't want to give up the clutch lever! Yes, I could have added them but I opted for the VSTROM handguards instead.

Good point. They may have come 'from the factory' on that retard AE version. 😁:whistle:

They may have come 'from the factory' on later Gen IIs also. But, I know they did not come standard on the '08/'09 standard versions.

Ahhhhh: From the FJR Model Comparison Matrix, heated grips became a standard 'from the factory' feature for USA FJRs starting with model year 2011.

Last edited:

Yes, why Yamaha decided to confuse everybody with different model designations on different continents is beyond me.

For North America:

FJR1300 = early Gen I models without ABS
FJR1300A = ABS models
FJR1300AE = Auto-clutch models
FJR1300ES = Electronic Suspension models

And when looking up parts for USA you will see a 'C' at the end for another choice of model descriptions. The 'C' is for the California model that has the emissions evaporative cannister.

Yes, why Yamaha decided to confuse everybody with different model designations on different continents is beyond me.

For North America:

FJR1300 = early Gen I models without ABS
FJR1300A = ABS models
FJR1300AE = Auto-clutch models
FJR1300ES = Electronic Suspension models

And when looking up parts for USA you will see a 'C' at the end for another choice of model descriptions. The 'C' is for the California model that has the emissions evaporative cannister.
Yes, it's beyond me, anyway it's confusing when I use the forum, and the " equipment" and " title" is not as it is for the European models.