What are buttons for?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sporall

Reaction score
I have a 2008 bike coming in little while, there was a lot to take in when I was viewing in the showroom and now I find myslef unsure about one two features and in particular whether or not it has cruise control and heated grips. Depending on where you read, some sites suggest that 2008 bikes had heated grips as standard. :unsure:

I have a photo which looks like a cruise control button but there was no mention of either of these in the dealers details. Is this a cruise control activation button indicated with an arrow? It has a powered screen if that helps. The dealer made no mention of cruise control or heated grips.

Cruise control button.jpg

Heated grips is an option. Take a picture of left side black cover by glove box. Pretty sure that is where control would be.

Bad angle on the handlebars. The heated grip control would be under the clutch reservoir on the left in your photo so just out of view. It looks like there is a square cutout on that panel but I can't tell for sure. The heated grip control would be a knob on that square cutout.

Bad angle on the handlebars. The heated grip control would be under the clutch reservoir on the left in your photo so just out of view. It looks like there is a square cutout on that panel but I can't tell for sure. The heated grip control would be a knob on that square cutout.
There is a square cutout whether or not it has factory heated grips (my '07 did but with a blank plate and no heated grips). Controller is on the left panel below the glove box. Note that the bike MIGHT have aftermarket heated grips (or cruise control) with controls not in the usual places. No Gen II (2006-2012) FJR came with factory cruise.

1710115558537.png

Edit: I saw your post in the introduction forum and the zoomed-in picture shows a blank plate where the factory grip heater control would be. No factory heated grips...

1710118761576.png

Last edited:
Sporall,
If you do not have the knob close to the glovebox, as seen above, then you do not have heated grips from the factory. OEM heated grips are extremely expensive., and they will not turn on when the bike is parked; they only warm up in flight. Many FJR riders have installed Oxford heated grips, for a very reasonable price. Send the power through a relay-controlled FuseBlock, so you won't leave them on and drain (ruin) your battery. The ignition key will turn off everything including the relay, then.
Cruise control can be added also, but you may want a good bike shop (or experienced help) to do the install, and it won't be cheap. I do not like throttle locking gadgets, but a CrampBuster (or similar) may do the deed for you at low cost.

Sporall - if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your 2008 model? I have 2007 model with only 1300 miles that I'm thinking about putting up for sale.

Sporall - if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your 2008 model? I have 2007 model with only 1300 miles that I'm thinking about putting up for sale.
Wow, that's a REALLY low mileage '07. (I sold mine five years ago at 185,000 miles.)
Don't know if you noticed or not but the original poster is from the UK so any pricing from that market wouldn't be relevant to VA.

4 years ago I bought a 2007 for 4K with 16K miles on it. Prices have gone up a bit since then. Understand that 1300 miles on a 16 year old bike is not really a selling point.

I have a 2008 bike coming in little while, there was a lot to take in when I was viewing in the showroom and now I find myslef unsure about one two features and in particular whether or not it has cruise control and heated grips. Depending on where you read, some sites suggest that 2008 bikes had heated grips as standard. :unsure:

I have a photo which looks like a cruise control button but there was no mention of either of these in the dealers details. Is this a cruise control activation button indicated with an arrow? It has a powered screen if that helps. The dealer made no mention of cruise control or heated grips.

View attachment 6612
I can also see of that narrow ( small) throttle housing that it isn't factory mountet heated grips. The housing for factory heated grips is wider, to innside support the cable for the heating.

Ack! All this talk of 'factory heated grips' is puckering my anal-retentive meter!

There was no such thing as 'factory heated grips' on a 2008 FJR sold in the USA. There was a 'Yamaha Accessory Heated Grips' you could purchase and install yourself, or have a dealer do it.

Ack! All this talk of 'factory heated grips' is puckering my anal-retentive meter!

There was no such thing as 'factory heated grips' on a 2008 FJR sold in the USA. There was a 'Yamaha Accessory Heated Grips' you could purchase and install yourself, or have a dealer do it.
I found these specs for a 2008 FJR 1300 AE on almotorcycle.com
" Variable heated grips keep hands warm on cool days or evenings ".
I remember wanting the heated grips but I didn't want to give up the clutch lever! Yes, I could have added them but I opted for the VSTROM handguards instead.