What's you fav helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like this thread. Good to share ideas on what to look for.

But those Shark helmets look pretty weird. Specially the Evoline when you flip the chinbar behind your head. Who does that anyway? :unsure:

Being a fussy about my helmet I have never warmed up to skull caps. I tried a bacaclava a few times - did not like it.. As my hair goes away maybe the things will fit better than before. As I ride more I may have to give the skull cap another try for the stink a few times was quite unpleasant - as if I need another damn distraction when I am riding. A couple of them on the road would be the ticket to a cleaner bucket.

I have tried to find a modular flip up helmet but so far no luck. Either they are heavy, the interior is not comfy, don't vent well and in general don't entice my interest.
Well I hear ya, in re: stinky skull caps..... I have a ton of those, they came off of eBay for a dine a dozen and are easier to be washed than a liner. Yeah those flip ups can be heavy, it depends though, what I like is the more room you've got for your face.

Since I've got a bowling ball shaped head makes a huge difference :lol:

The Schuberth Helmet I wrote about, the C3 as a flip up is just perfect, the lightest, quietest and most comfortable I've ever had on my head. But their price asking is also yeehaw... So I'm still pondering about it, but before I dump 2K in two helmets (cuz my CFO wants one too) I'd rather spend it on the Penske/GP mod from KFG for now...
Penske/GP mod is much better investment than a helmet, unless your helmet is in need of replacement.

Reviews on the Schuberth helmets are good. For any helmet purchase I suggest you buy one from a vendor where you can return it. Locally they can be had at South Sound BMW. Wear it in the house for two hours or so to make sure it fits without pain. Some say the Schuberth causes pain along the forehead - ouch. This spring I got a Shoei Neotec Modular Helmet from Revzilla. It did not fit my head - my cheeks were smashed and jaw sore after 2 hours. I returned the helmet, only out the return shipping cost. I would do business with Revzilla again. I did like that bucket, 'cept for the poor fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shark RSX
This one looks wicked, I love it:

shark-rsx.jpg

Penske/GP mod is much better investment than a helmet, unless your helmet is in need of replacement.

Reviews on the Schuberth helmets are good. For any helmet purchase I suggest you buy one from a vendor where you can return it. Locally they can be had at South Sound BMW. Wear it in the house for two hours or so to make sure it fits without pain. Some say the Schuberth causes pain along the forehead - ouch. This spring I got a Shoei Neotec Modular Helmet from Revzilla. It did not fit my head - my cheeks were smashed and jaw sore after 2 hours. I returned the helmet, only out the return shipping cost. I would do business with Revzilla again. I did like that bucket, 'cept for the poor fit.
I was on Saturday in Fife, as PSS had their maintenance class with South Sound Beamer, there I wore this Schuberth for about 30 mins, until the class started, I loved it very much, no forehead pain or such. I had a Vemar helmet which ave me those forehead problems..... What I like was, that the cheeks been nicely covered and hug'd. The only thing which made me put it away for now was, when the sales guy, which I totally liked, said, that my scala rider G9 is way better than the Schuberth intercom sys, downside, the G9 doesn't fit very nicely onto this helmet.....

I think Revzilla is a cool shop to do biz with.

I like this thread. Good to share ideas on what to look for.

But those Shark helmets look pretty weird. Specially the Evoline when you flip the chinbar behind your head. Who does that anyway? :unsure:
Thanks Fred,

I figured gives us a way of seeing what's put there, without digging for days at end through the web reviews or shops......

Shoei Multitech

This one in particular

See where the big rock got me right in the middle of the forehead.

DSCN0150.jpg

Scorpion EXO-500. Great ventilation, comfortable, really stable, and it has the flip down sun visor which was a big selling point for me, don't have to carry multiple shields or try and wear glasses underneath it either.

Shoei RF1100 with a Super-Visor for some shade and Pinlock shield. IMO a helmet this expensive should include the Pinlock.

Schuberth C3 by far......I also have a Carbon Fibre Vemar that i like in the cold weather......

R

Shoei Multitech. They fit my round head perfectly.
Yep I have to agree,

My stars 'n stripe themed Helmet is a Shoei Multitec, fits perfect, the only thing compared to my Scorpion is, that it is a tad noisier. The Scorpion has a exhaust vent on the back which works almost like a spoiler of some sort, this minimizes the buffeting noise, for what I'm thinking.

@Airboss,

Holy Macaroni, that must have been an impact darn!!!

@Fontanaman,

Yep I'd say the same in response to Airboss's post......

Schuberth C3 by far......I also have a Carbon Fibre Vemar that i like in the cold weather......

R
I agree with you, as this Helmet is my next one, the Schuberth C3, if they weren't sooo steep in their price asking....

When I was in the market for a new helmet later this summer I wanted a modular with an internal visor. I went over to Royal Distributing just 20 minutes from me because they have a wide selection of different manufacturers for me to try so I could find the best fit. I have been wearing Arais before this since I like the fit plus the liner comes out for washing but Arai do not offer a modular helmet. Of all the different brands I tried I liked the Shoei Neotec the best. The helmet came supplied with a pinlock shield so when you factor that into the price it brings it more into line with some of the cheaper helmets. I also received a discount since they were clearing out the motorcycle gear to start making room for the snowmobile stuff. After all this is Canada and summer consists of 2 weeks in July.

I was limited on choice of colour in my size being it was the near the end of the 2012 season and they were already ordering their 2013 gear so I ended up with this ....

Neotec_AnthraciteMetallic.jpg

I would have liked a hi-vis yellow but there were none available from the Canadian distributor.

Same helmet/color I have yamafitter and I love it! Of course I have dropped it twice now. Most expensive damn helmet I have ever owned and I have dropped it more than any other helmet I have ever owned....ugh.

When I was in the market for a new helmet later this summer I wanted a modular with an internal visor. I went over to Royal Distributing just 20 minutes from me because they have a wide selection of different manufacturers for me to try so I could find the best fit. I have been wearing Arais before this since I like the fit plus the liner comes out for washing but Arai do not offer a modular helmet. Of all the different brands I tried I liked the Shoei Neotec the best. The helmet came supplied with a pinlock shield so when you factor that into the price it brings it more into line with some of the cheaper helmets. I also received a discount since they were clearing out the motorcycle gear to start making room for the snowmobile stuff. After all this is Canada and summer consists of 2 weeks in July.

I was limited on choice of colour in my size being it was the near the end of the 2012 season and they were already ordering their 2013 gear so I ended up with this ....

Neotec_AnthraciteMetallic.jpg

I would have liked a hi-vis yellow but there were none available from the Canadian distributor.
I just pulled the trigger on that same helmet and color. I have an Anthracite MultiTec now but, it's showing its age and going to my passenger. Plus the left side face shield pivot fitting keeps cracking and at $20 a pop every couple of months it was time to go. :huh:

Their new pivot fittings are waaaay stronger and will hold up better. Better air flow and The flip down sun visor sealed the deal. Being on sale didn't hurt either! :)

OK, I didn't want to post up on this until I was sure. I've had a chance to take a couple of longer rides with it on, and this is my new favorite helmet:

2011-Scorpion-EXO-900-Transformer-Helmet.jpg

It's the Scorpion EXO-900 Modular / Transformer.

I was in the market for a replacement Modular helmet. After only 2 years of steady use my HJC CL-Max was already showing its age. And that one wasn't much of a helmet when it was new. A bit on the flimsy side. I'd read all of the reviews and this helmet never seems to get any bad ones. It is considerably less expensive that the Shoei modulars (msrp $270-280 depending on color), and when I found a shop demo marked down to two bills I had to give it a whirl.

It took me a while to find and press down the high spots in the forehead area that gave some hot spots, and then to get the ear speakers installed correctly to keep the cheek pads from pushing out and irritating my ears. It has little ear pockets in the EPS foam for speakers, so I had to strip the foam and velcro off of my headset to get them to fit in right. Now that I've got everything situated, it fits perfectly. Very snug, but no irritation anywhere.

It's said to be a heavier model, but honestly I don't feel it. It is very aerodynamic, with good breath-ability and (so far) the face shield lives up to the no-fog claim. I even found that the flip down internal sunshield is a really nice feature (I didn't expect to use it that much) as you can flip it down when riding in the late afternoon sun while wearing my clear prescription glasses and then flip it up when riding away from the sun, or when in the shade.

I'll probably never use it in the 3/4 helmet mode, but it is nice to be able to remove that piece and the connections are metal on metal and very solid.

The fit on the Scorpions runs snug. I stuck with my regular size L, but probably could have gone up to an XL, especially if I wanted to wear one of those scull cap liner dealios, or a balaclava in winter. Plus the inflatable neck roll and cheek pads gives some added flexibility if you do choose a size larger. I don't even need to inflate them at all now, but that may change as the helmet breaks in more.

Definitely worth a look, if you are considering a modular.