Quick Shoei Neotec Borealis Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this what I think about that....

First off, I reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyy liked the Neo tech, everything about it, the flip up chin bar, sun visor, etc, the price I could have gotten a solid color for less than $500 OTD with gift cards. The deal breaker was it didn't fit my roundish head well. I immediately started getting a headache in the middle of my forehead. I was bummed!

Now for D-rings. I also tried a Nolan 90? and it had the latching system. Hated it. Besides the helmet didn't fit my head properly for comfort, the latch was lower almost on my neck choking me, and it hurt having this huge block of plastic digging into my neck/upper jaw. I'll take D-rings any day. Plus I also don't trust the latches, but that's just me.

Back to the review....

Last edited by a moderator:
Where this what I think about that....

First off, I reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyy liked the Neo tech, everything about it, the flip up chin bar, sun visor, etc, the price I could have gotten a solid color for less than $500 OTD with gift cards. The deal breaker was it didn't fit my roundish head well. I immediately started getting a headache in the middle of my forehead. I was bummed!

Now for D-rings. I also tried a Nolan 90? and it had the latching system. Hated it. Besides the helmet didn't fit my head properly for comfort, the latch was lower almost on my neck choking me, and it hurt having this huge block of plastic digging into my neck/upper jaw. I'll take D-rings any day. Plus I also don't trust the latches, but that's just me.

Back to the review....
The N-104 is the same..latch is not in ideal spot..kinda chokes ya, have to keep playing with it to fit comfortably..as for my 5 Shoei helmets with D-rings...PUUUUURFECT!

"Thanks for that info! I ride with a skull cap too, so the air's not a big deal, but it'd be somewhat unpleasant if it leaks substantially in a downpour. Any experience in that regard?"

I have been in one hell of a rain comming home from the Gap and rode for at least 200 miles in heavy rain on my Tenere. No water came through the vent. A drop or two made it down the inside of the visor. I could not believe how well the Pin Lock worked. No fog.

Scooper

Thanks for the review. I have never liked full face helmets but this one has me willing to give it a try. I like the additional 8MM of chin clearance. Since your from TX we're not likely to run into each other with our matching bikes and helmets
derisive.gif

Thought I'd weigh in here as well. I've always owned cheap helmets. This year, at the advice of some friends, I took the plunge and bought a silver Neotec. OH-MY-SOUL. What a helmet. Comfortable, quiet, well made, fog free, light weight, I mean WOW. With its removable and washable liner and flip down sunscreen, it's just so amazing. Concerning the cool air coming in the top vent (when it's supposed to be closed) mentioned earlier in this thread, I've NOT noticed it. What I did notice was how refreshing that blast of cool air became once I opened that top vent. FINALLY!!!!!! A vent that actually DOES something. How refreshing to flip open a vent and say, "WOW." Then there's the pin lock. No more fog. Hurray. It's wonderfully warm in the winter. I'm a very happy camper.

Gary

I was looking forward to trying one on to replace my Shoei X-11, but the Neotec sizing is not the same, The XL is too big, and the L too tight. Similar issues with the Schubert. Oddly, the new X-11 and RF1100 fit perfect. I think a full face remains in my future.

Regarding the D ring thing, jeez you guys bitch a lot! I'm gonna do a search for all of Odot's past posts in hopes of finding some real wisdom with less controversy...

BTW... Name me one MotoGP or Superbike rider that doesn't use a D ring for securing their lid to their melon....
no.gif

I've been a Multitec owner for about 3 years and LOVED it. Great fit, quality of materials, reasonably quiet, a huge improvement over a SyMax I had previously.

When the reviews came out for the Neotec (quieter, more air flow, visor, fully removable liner) I decided I upgrade to one assuming it fit similarly...and was pleasantly affirmed at a motorcycle shop in North Phoenix a week ago that was true. Now I've only got to choose whether to go with the a Borealis or a yellow one and add reflective graphics like I did on my Multitec. I'll probably go with the Borealis...once I find the best price. They quoted me $662, but didn't ask about shipping.

As for D-Rings.....wahhhhh to a few...I agree with Skooter on most of it. D rings area just fine and I'm glad they use them as the base of something tried & true and

. For those that want somethign different you can always add a Power Madd retainer and leave the D rings unmolested.

I have a Shoei RF1100 and added a Neotech about 8 months. Like many others who have commented in this thread, I bought the Neotec because of the modular design and I really liked the idea of the retractable visor.

My first 2 hour long ride resulted in a massive headache. I obtained a set of the thinner cheek pads from Shoei and that fixed it - very comfortable now. Overall, the helmet fits like an RF1100 but somehow those cheek pads were a killer for me.

Since I have found the ventilation to be excellent (Much better than an RF1100 and needed in the hot weather) and I really like the convenience of the retractable sun visor. The helmet is a bit noisy overall, and particularly with the vents open but headphones or ear plugs fix that. It is nice to be able to have a drink of water by just lifting the front.

Anyway, it is pricey but a good piece of kit.

Ignacio, you are not going to believe the air flow going though the NeoTec compared to the Mulitec. I've had one for a while now and I still can't believe it. You are going to love it. I went to buy one and was pleasantly surprised that it was on sale that day at Cycle Gear. Lucked out at $592. Gotta love it!
clapping.gif

I have a Yellow Neotec and it has become my "go to" helmet. Great fit for my Shoei head, no fog pin lock shield, sun shade, ventilation, quality materials, removable/washable liner, it's all there. My only bad surprise was having the chin bar vent open when I entered into some very heavy rain at highway speed, I got drops on the back side of the shield, not good. Doesn't seem to do it with moderate rain though.

Been using a MultiTec for the past 5 years with good results. Only real issue is terrible fogging, but that was *fixed* with a pinlock shield.

Interested in a new Neotec, of course none of my spare shields will fit...figures. I do like the additional chin room, not a fan of built in sun shades but it seems like that is all the rage now. Time to begin shopping.

--G

Been using a MultiTec for the past 5 years with good results. Only real issue is terrible fogging, but that was *fixed* with a pinlock shield.
Interested in a new Neotec, of course none of my spare shields will fit...figures. I do like the additional chin room, not a fan of built in sun shades but it seems like that is all the rage now. Time to begin shopping.

--G
Perhaps we need to find a group buy...... seems to me several peeps are interested.

D Rings suck! Especially when you put ur gloves on and notice that ur helmet is not buckled yet. oops!

I don't kare who you are or what your old time thoughts are on this is. Many of years back we went through this transition in the Snowmobile world. DOT hemmed and hawed and finally through a huge amount of testing came to see the light. My current helmet has D-rings
sad.png
heck my h/s n college football pants had friggen D-rings! ...but now we see the light in something better. yes!

And for you "old" guys who don't like these kind of changes? Go kick start your FJR, why use the elec start? oh yeah...
wink.png

And btw Skoot... it's "whine w your cheese". thank u very much. Pinot Noir pairs well with any 'sharp' cheese
smile.png

Well this what I think about that....

Back to the review....
Update....

I just purchased one. Again with gift cards etc.

Reason after this post:

I bought a Large hoping it would break in a bit. After wearing it for a couple hours my head really hurt and my cheeks were squished so bad my jaw hurt. I was going to totally give up until I researched it and found that I could buy different liners and cheek pads from Shoei. I opted for an XL and traded in my liner for the thicker liner to compensate. Shoei is right down the street from me in Tustin so I went after work and traded the liners. I like the helmet so far.

Positives:

Ventilation (it lets in hair like a ram vent when the front vent is open)

Interior visor

Helmet shield positions

Ease of use lifting chin bar

Looks

Quality

Many other things

Some negatives:

Easy fogging (has the Pin system though, I don’t use it)

It does let a lot of air in around your neck etc, keeps the head cooler, may not be good for winter folks.

Interior visor removal/installation is rather complex (my HJC IS-16 has been the easiest and quickest shield to remove/install)

Price

One other annoyance – The bottom of my helmet cheek pad always gets stuck on the Velcro collar of my jacket. No helmet has done this before.

Adding on to this review thread as it was the one that came up on a search. After years of less expensive KBC, HJC, and Scorpion helmets interleaved with one RF1000 Shoei (that didn't fit me well enough to keep for long) I drank the kool-aide and bought myself a new Shoei Neotech in solid (HiViz) white.

The fit and finish is very good, and I do like that this is quieter than the other modulars that I had previously. I also like that the ventilation is better than any helmet I've worn prior. What I do not like is the primary face shield / visor operation. In order to get the cam action side plate mechanisms to seal the visor firmly to the gasket in the face port, the final detent step to closed is from 3/4" open position. You cannot crack the shield open ~ 1/4" to help with the fogging on a rainy day, like I have always done with my prior helmets.

During the NERDS early bird rides we got stuck in a heavy thunderstorm for about an hour getting back to the hotel on Tuesday. The inside of the shield fogged up, and when I cracked it to the first big detent the rain was pouring in so fast my glasses and face were getting sprinkled continuously.

I guess the answer is to keep the shield closed, but there is that fogging to contend with. The Scorpion EXO-900 that I had last had a coating on the inside of the visor that totally eliminated fogging. The very bottom would occasionally get a little bleary due to the condensed breath vapor, but the part up at eye level was never fogged even in the coldest or rainiest weather. It could also be cracked to 1/4" open and that keeps all fogging away without allowing so much rain spray in.

The untreated stock Neotech shield fogs up quite easily without the pinlock insert installed. I suppose that I should try using the pinlock insert, but it says all over it that it shouldn't be used at night due to the added glare that it creates. And I can just imagine how bad it will be if I let water get between the pinlock and outer shield.

I'm surprised that Shoei hasn't come up with a permanent anti-fog coating for their shields like RIA2,at least as an optional shield, which I suspect is similar to the coating that Scorpion uses, .

For now, I've decided to try the old clear shampoo trick on the inner surface of the shield and see how much that helps. That was what I used to do to my (much cheaper) KBC and HJC helmets, but you would have expected better performance from Shoei for the considerable cost of admission.

Also, FYI... earlier in this thread the leaky Neotech top vents were discussed. Shoei made a change to that vent design to eliminate the air and water leaks, at the expense of not breathing quite as well as the original design did. It still breathes better than any other helmet I've worn, so I'm OK with the newer design.

Fred,

My Neotech is about 2 years old now and I've used it hard! I use the pinlock insert in rain and after dark and while it does alter the amount of light passing through I haven't found it to be dangerous or objectionable. You will note a slight prism halo affect in oncoming headlights but nothing too dramatic. Try it and see if it helps. In fact I generally install the pinlock insert once it starts dropping to cold enough temps for fogging to be an issue and let it in until the weather stays warm again in Spring.