Wheelie With Full Luggage?!?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
I got a surprise on Tuesday.

I mounted a touring trunk on my '05 on Sunday and was riding home Tuesday evening with the thing fully loaded -- a heavy briefcase with computer in the top trunk, full raingear and leather pants in the right bag, and a bunch of extra paperwork in the left bag. I got on I-405 and looked for an opening to get into the diamond lane.

Wheee! :lmao: It must've looked ridiculous.

Amazing.

I mounted a touring trunk on my '05 on Sunday and was riding home Tuesday evening with the thing fully loaded -- a heavy briefcase with computer in the top trunk, full raingear and leather pants in the right bag, and a bunch of extra paperwork in the left bag. I got on I-405 and looked for an opening to get into the diamond lane.

Amazing.
Most of the time it happens so fluidly you don't even know it. I wouldn't say I do it routinely but once in a while she comes up and it sure feels good. touches down like a feather and gone like lightning. :devilsmiley:

I made that mistake once on the way back from a business trip in the mountains of West Virginia. A school bus was coming the other way with the yellows flashing so I slowed way down. I then noticed the driver waving me past before she hit the reds (mighty thoughtful of her), so I got on it get past her. Gave the kids a good show, I'm sure. :)

With a passenger or full luggage case, that front end gets aspirations of grandeur. ;)

I only have 2800 miles on my 05 FJR so it is not broke in good yet. I have had it come up three times without any luggage or passenger. A pure power wheelie is what it was. Quiet a surprrise but fun none the less.

at 1010 miles, I was happy to bring her aggressively over 4000 RPM and I learned where the power band was...4200 front end came up in 1st and 2nd gear and I was going too fast to keep pushing once I hit third...a smile came on my face and it was like unwrapping exactly the present you want on your b-day when you're a kid :D :D

Amazing.
405 in WA or CA?

Just today, downshifted to slow for a corner, came around and throttled her up, and up she came. Nothing in the sidebags or topbox, just enough dinosaur juice into those cylinders and its Hi Ho Silver.......Away.

Did one once west of the 405, on Sunset (CA's I405). Someone started to move right to left without looking and the safest thing for me to do was move away, quickly, from the developing situation. I was in second gear and twisted the throttle. Didn't mean to do it. Honestly.

YEAH YEAH YEAH... but did it look like this ????? :beee:

wheelie.jpg

405 in WA

It didn't look like that! Nice air.

I wasn't trying to get the front end up. Honestly, I thought that the bike was too heavy to do anything like that. It was a pure power wheelie -- I didn't drop the clutch . It was very gentle, very controllable, and very fast.

Mine regularly comes up at half throttle in 1st gear. This is because of the tongue weight of the trailer. Never had much "air" under the front, as the trailer system acts as a wheelie bar. Wifey really doesn't care for the wheelies. My ribs are sorta painful after each one. :D

timk,

So you drag a trailer. Never thought about trailer wheelies. A bit concerned about the subframe hitch mounts, I guess. I can tell you that the trailer doesn't slow me down much, just those dowhill decreasing radius corners that make the sphincter tighten up a bit.

So what kind of trailer you draggin? Any pics?

Fellow dragger:

Trailering behind an FJR. What a concept.

So many questions..

1. Are trailer tires good for higer speeds? V-rated trailer tires?

2. How the heck would one mount a trailer on a FJR?

3. What's the fastest you gone with trailer in tow?

I understand the trailer concept, most on the board probably don't.. but the one thing I've always noticed is that he who carries the cooler is never without friends, lost, or left too far behind!