Whelen LIN3 + Programable flasher = Wow!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have any of you tried these Whelen LIN3s in the steady white ON mode as forward-looking running lights? As auxiliary lights?

I know they wouldn't light up the road any, but they would be bright and attention-getting and they wouldn't draw too much juice.
I have thought of something similar in LED, but would go amber for visibility. Not knowing the brightness and spread, the concern would be possibly too bright or too spread, not allowing view by oncoming vehicles of your signals. Would have to experiment. Other options are Hyperlites amber running lights, or Photon Blasters (cost a factor), or perhaps a PWM dimmer.

I currently have some small 20W halogen fog lights, but wish to go with something of lower draw, slightly brighter.

After riding behind JohnD in an all day rain in SE Ohio this past weekend and noticing just how attention getting it is, I've decided this is a worthwhile mod.

I found a company out of Belleville that has LIN3/TIR3's on sale right now for $49 in case somebody else is interested. Good price!

Sterlmar Equipment

I still think that Whelen's Dominator makes the best solution - neat, BRIGHT and amazingly simple to mount.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=128806&view=findpost&p=739605
Even though we didn't get a chance to meet at CFR, I did see the Dominator in action on the back of your bike. During the *DAY* it was to bright. I can't imagine how retina demolishingly bright it is at night. Really, I'm surprised nobody has rear-ended you because it destroyed their night vision.

All the rear lighting wires are very fine, so you'll use one of the very smallest Posi-Taps. Sorry I don't know what the specific designation on it is. You can get an assortment some places, though. I think they're the cat's ass.

I'd love to go with one of these very bright Whelen lights. In fact, I was out to a local supplier's shop a few weeks ago and they had a line of small round lights that were very bright and seemed to offer the best choice of mounting options. Problem was, they're all designed to flash with the "brakes on" mode only. What I want is much like what I have with my Hyperlites--"always on, then flash even brighter with the brakes." Any ideas how I can get that done with the Whelens or any similar product?

Mike,

These are not the droids you're looking for.

If you have the lights pre-illuminated and then only increase in intensity you lose a very large part of the attention getting "Whazzat there!" that these will provide.

Instead, if you haven't already got them, get those big retro reflective decals available in a few different places (including forum member Alex) to make you more visible from behind when your brake lights are off. Those reflect white to the cars' headlights. Then the bright red brake lights will still retain all of their attention getting hoo-rah when you hit the brakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love my Whelen. I went nuts and wired all the options with switches on the inside of the left fairing cover so I can change programming at will. If a LEO decides I shouldn't have a flashing brake light I can set it to non-flash mode. I also run a brake light flasher and have the option of synching the Whelen to the brake light or let it run independently. And while I was at it I wired the output reduction wire in so I can use that feature. In hindsight, this was over-kill, as I ALWAYS run it full power.

Mike,

If you have the lights pre-illuminated and then only increase in intensity you lose a very large part of the attention getting "Whazzat there!" that these will provide.

Instead, if you haven't already got them, get those big retro reflective decals available in a few different places (including forum member Alex) to make you more visible from behind when your brake lights are off. Those reflect white to the cars' headlights. Then the bright red brake lights will still retain all of their attention getting hoo-rah when you hit the brakes.
Thanks, Fred, but I'm not just interested in not getting smacked at stops. I also don't want to get bowled over while just riding along. :rolleyes: In addition to three 16-LED sets of Hyperlites, I have three strips of small red LED's from the Progressive bike show--one wired to the tail light, two wired to the brakes. Then the two black 3-M reflectors on the backs of my bags, a bright strip of reflective red tape (from Canadian Tire) down the middle of each, and a super-reflective white SOLAS-type belt around my top case. All my gear (Olympia and Motoport) has reflective strips or piping, and my helmet has a big reflective arrow on the back. Like this.
1214_1ha.jpg

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I've got a fever. And the only prescription is . . . MORE LIGHTS!

Untitled.jpg

Mike,

Thanks, Fred, but I'm not just interested in not getting smacked at stops. I also don't want to get bowled over while just riding along. :rolleyes: In addition to three 16-LED sets of Hyperlites, I have three strips of small red LED's from the Progressive bike show--one wired to the tail light, two wired to the brakes. Then the two black 3-M reflectors on the backs of my bags, a bright strip of reflective red tape (from Canadian Tire) down the middle of each, and a super-reflective white SOLAS-type belt around my top case. All my gear (Olympia and Motoport) has reflective strips or piping, and my helmet has a big reflective arrow on the back. Like this.
1214_1ha.jpg

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I've got a fever. And the only prescription is . . . MORE LIGHTS!

Untitled.jpg
All you need now is one of them "CAN YOU SEE ME NOW, ASSHOLE?" T-shirts

Thanks, Fred, but I'm not just interested in not getting smacked at stops. I also don't want to get bowled over while just riding along. :rolleyes: In addition to three 16-LED sets of Hyperlites, I have three strips of small red LED's from the Progressive bike show--one wired to the tail light, two wired to the brakes. Then the two black 3-M reflectors on the backs of my bags, a bright strip of reflective red tape (from Canadian Tire) down the middle of each, and a super-reflective white SOLAS-type belt around my top case. All my gear (Olympia and Motoport) has reflective strips or piping, and my helmet has a big reflective arrow on the back.

If only you were as conscientious about your valve checks...........