which bar riser is best

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ones I have on my bike are best. For me. YMMV, Gen II cost more and are harder to install. A lot of us seem to like Heli....

I put the heli bars on. I'm of the vertically challenged size also. They have two positions you can use also. Instructions are about straight forward as you can possibly get. Heck they come with step by step pictures! You just need a 36mm socket (or what ever size it is, just great big) for the main nut.

If you have a Gen 1 bike D&Ds are good. Could not have been easier to install and they have two models. You can find them on the net. No kidding 15 minute install at most.

So tell me, smart guy: Exactly which body shape rider did they design the FJR for? :glare:
They designed it for a body that's leaned forward carrying the weight on the legs and feet per "Master Yoda", not sitting upright with the weight on the butt. Nobody should expect to sit on a Feej the way they would on a cruiser.

Adding a riser also puts the head up higher into the slipstream and further from the windshield. The next question after that will be "which barn-door sized windshield is the best? I get a lot of head buffeting :( ".

So tell me, smart guy: Exactly which body shape rider did they design the FJR for? :glare:
They designed it for a body that's leaned forward carrying the weight on the legs and feet per "Master Yoda", not sitting upright with the weight on the butt. Nobody should expect to sit on a Feej the way they would on a cruiser.

Adding a riser also puts the head up higher into the slipstream and further from the windshield. The next question after that will be "which barn-door sized windshield is the best? I get a lot of head buffeting :( ".
Yeah right. So you didn't answer Johnny. How tall are you?

Do you suppose that someone that's 6'2" or 6'4" might be leaned forward just a bit more than someone that's 5'8" or 5'10"? I have a set of Heli risers on my 1st gen and I am most definitely still leaning forward in the best Master Yoda style. And this time of year my shield is a stocker tilted WTF down with rifle tuning blocks. I have steady air stream from about my belly button on up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Do you suppose that someone that's 6'2" or 6'4" might be leaned forward just a bit more than someone that's 5'8" or 5'10"? I have a set of Heli risers on my 1st gen and I am most definitely still leaning forward in the best Master Yoda style. And this time of year my shield is a stocker tilted WTF down with rifle tuning blocks. I have steady air stream from about my belly button on up.
I'm 5'11". And I just rode over 5000 miles in ten days on a stock seat with no risers and had no problems.

And why would a taller person be leaned over more? You have longer arms, so if you lean at the same angle, your reach will go further forward than mine. The solution for you would be to move the bars to the forward position on the stock triple clamp. That would get your head down where it should be and the weight more off your butt.

Adding risers messes up everything. It's no coincidence that the bikes with risers have huge windshields and butt-ugly Russell seats. They need them.

I'm 5'11". And I just rode over 5000 miles in ten days on a stock seat with no risers and had no problems.

And why would a taller person be leaned over more? You have longer arms, so if you lean at the same angle, your reach will go further forward than mine. The solution for you would be to move the bars to the forward position on the stock triple clamp. That would get your head down where it should be and the weight more off your butt.

Adding risers messes up everything. It's no coincidence that the bikes with risers have huge windshields and butt-ugly Russell seats. They need them.
I am going to have to go with Reno John on this one.

I never though of it that way. You perspective is now my perspective. :headbonk:

I am going to have to go with Reno John on this one.
I never though of it that way. You perspective is now my perspective. :headbonk:
Maybe you just need a Gold Wing! :rolleyes:

Thank God for long arms...sold the risers a week after getting the bike. I like to be over the front end and the risers placed me too far back on the bike...I didn't have the same feel in the twisties, so the best risers are None...

And why would a taller person be leaned over more? You have longer arms, so if you lean at the same angle, your reach will go further forward than mine.
Perhaps, but there is no guarantee that just because one is taller that their arms are proportionately longer. Plus my shoulders are higher, so some of that "extra" arm length would get used up just getting down to the bars.

The solution for you would be to move the bars to the forward position on the stock triple clamp. That would get your head down where it should be and the weight more off your butt.
If ever we meet, you'll have to point that feature out for me on my first gen.

Adding risers messes up everything.
...for you. But different people are built, well... differently. I am really glad that your stock seat and bars worked out for you. It doesn't mean it's the only way to ride it, or the right way, just your way. Based on the number of people with aftermarket bar risers and aftermarket seats on their FJRs I have a strong suspicion that yours is the minority opinion.

One other minor point and I'll let this "discussion" go. I do have Heli risers on my 1st gen and I like them. And even with the risers I am miraculously able to lower my torso down over the front end of the bike when in the twisties. See, I have these things called elbows half way down my arm and they let me bend my arms to make them shorter. Seriously, as long as you're not riding stiff armed (which you shouldn't anyway) I don't see how raising the bars will ruin your bike's handling. You can still position your body wherever it needs to be. With the risers you just have more range of positions.

By the way, are you Bogey907 or Reno John? :blink:

And why would a taller person be leaned over more? You have longer arms, so if you lean at the same angle, your reach will go further forward than mine.
Perhaps, but there is no guarantee that just because one is taller that their arms are proportionately longer. Plus my shoulders are higher, so some of that "extra" arm length would get used up just getting down to the bars.
Well, would you agree that in most cases taller people will have longer arms? I think that would be the norm. If we're going to argue about unlikely scenarios, then it's all moot since you might get hit by a meteorite anyway.

The solution for you would be to move the bars to the forward position on the stock triple clamp. That would get your head down where it should be and the weight more off your butt.
OK, you're saying that since you don't have an adjustment, you should add risers to move the bars in the wrong direction.

Did you ride the little bus to school?

...for you. But different people are built, well... differently. I am really glad that your stock seat and bars worked out for you. It doesn't mean it's the only way to ride it, or the right way, just your way. Based on the number of people with aftermarket bar risers and aftermarket seats on their FJRs I have a strong suspicion that yours is the minority opinion.

Much of what passes for facts on this forum are debatable and some are just urban myths. The reason so many bikes have risers and aftermarket seats is that so many newbies read the same group-think answers here and take that as gospel. Nobody asked the new guy that posted this how tall he is, or pointed to the Master Yoda link. If the "accepted wisdom" here was that risers aren't needed, then very few new FJR owners would add them. Then they'd learn to sit on it correctly and not have the seat/windshield issues.

If risers work OK for you because your torso and arms are misproportioned. that's fine. But you can't generalize that for everyone or even the majority. And you aren't doing anybody any favors by telling them that they need expensive mods to an already well designed bike.

Well, would you agree that in most cases taller people will have longer arms? I think that would be the norm. If we're going to argue about unlikely scenarios, then it's all moot since you might get hit by a meteorite anyway.

OK, you're saying that since you don't have an adjustment, you should add risers to move the bars in the wrong direction.

Did you ride the little bus to school?

Much of what passes for facts on this forum are debatable and some are just urban myths. The reason so many bikes have risers and aftermarket seats is that so many newbies read the same group-think answers here and take that as gospel. Nobody asked the new guy that posted this how tall he is, or pointed to the Master Yoda link. If the "accepted wisdom" here was that risers aren't needed, then very few new FJR owners would add them. Then they'd learn to sit on it correctly and not have the seat/windshield issues.

If risers work OK for you because your torso and arms are misproportioned. that's fine. But you can't generalize that for everyone or even the majority. And you aren't doing anybody any favors by telling them that they need expensive mods to an already well designed bike.
This would be funny if I didn't think you were serious.