Which touring cruiser? Non-HD/BMW

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...FWIW, I am no fan of any of the V twin cruisers. Ive never ridden even one that could pull your navel through your belly button. From Kawasaki to Victory, to Indian, theyve all felt anemic.
Agreed and I fear that the "new" Yamaha Venture will fit that mold as well despite the amenities and doo-dads!

I know the title of the thread says not BMW, but the K1600B may be a good choice for many. Its in the same price range as the GW DCT.

The GW looks like its nearly 40 hp short of the Beemer. And its certainly not short in the weight department.

I bought a K1600GTL when they were first introduced and I decided that I really preferred the FJR. I only kept the K16GTL for seven or eight months. When I sold it, I said maybe i would be interested if they ever offered a K1600S.

The K16B is no S, but its a lot closer than the new GL1800 DCT.

Im going to test ride both when the new GWs arrive. If I like one, or both, Ill have to shuffle the deck here again.

I'm going to disregard the "non-HD" qualifier for a moment and advocate for a Road Glide. I owned a 2007 for a short time with the 96 CI, fueling tuner, V&H true duals, and a tour pack. For a couple months that bike got ridden while the FJR sat. It was just so comfortable, and the HD does have "character," if not reliability past 50k miles or so. I was surprised how much fun I had with it cruising up the Angeles Crest.

I probably haven't convinced you and I'd enjoy a comparably fun and comfortable cruiser with more reliability. But after demo-ing a new 2018 Road Glide CVO, I wanted a Road Glide, and I enjoyed the used one almost as much as the $40k new one. You might consider giving one a ride. HD is very generous with their test rides in my experience. :)

Ive owned both the Vaquero and the F6B Deluxe. Those two pictures above could be taken of my bikes, both white.
Of the two, the F6B won hands down for me. The Vaquero, which is pretty strong for a V twin, was just far too underpowered to satisfy me. I rode it 2000 miles (2 months) and traded it on a Triumph Tiger Explorer. I still have the Triumph, and the F6B Deluxe.

I am toying with the idea of the 2018 Goldwing DCT. I am on the list for a test ride when they arrive, most likely in about 2 more months.

FWIW, I am no fan of any of the V twin cruisers. Ive never ridden even one that could pull your navel through your belly button. From Kawasaki to Victory, to Indian, theyve all felt anemic.

The Tiger Explorer is far zippier. I would not describe the F6B as zippy, but it feels a LOT stronger than any V-twin extant.
That's great information for me as I have been toying with getting a F6B.

I am interested in the new Triumph Speedmaster which is due in March 2018. It has cruise control standard. However it has tubed tires which might not be good for touring.

Ramblin wrote:

I am interested in the new Triumph Speedmaster which is due in March 2018. It has cruise control standard. However it has tubed tires which might not be good for touring.

Ive known a few people whove toured on the modern classic Bonneville knockoffs.

Theyve crossed the country on them. East to west. And north to south.

It can be done.

Ive owned two modern classic Bonnies.

I would not be interested in long distances on one of them because of the suspension, seating, and lack of integral luggage. And then there is Triumphs legendary lack of dealer network. 😱

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick comment on the F6B.

I am used to wrastling 800+ pounds around because Ive had 4 Rocket III Tourings.

If I had not been used to this, I would not have been very excited about the F6B.

There is a HUGE difference between 650 pounds and 850 pounds.

They always describe these large bikes by saying things like:

Once you are underway, the weight disappears.

This bike handles incredibly well for its weight.

You have to translate this into HONEST English.

These phrases mean:

The bike is quite piggish and does not handle as well as bikes 75% its weight.

The other comments:

1. The F6B stock seat is, bar none, the most comfortable stock seat I have ever ridden. It holds up all day. I am not even tempted to send it to Russell.

2. Between the F6B and the Vaquero (another very heavy bike), there were certain aspects of low speed maneuvering that I think the Vaquero handles better, although the Honda anti-dive system really impresses me. A tight 90 degree downhill then uphill right turn, as one must do to get into my driveway required less active planning on the Vaquero than on the F6B.

Last comment.

The Triumph Tiger Explorer is a worthy candidate for touring if you are OK with the Triumph dealer network. And if youre not inseam challenged. They do offer a low version though, so the seat height issue is not insurmountable.

Mine is bone stock, except for the Russell seat. Ive got the Factory panniers. They go on and off very easily, and hold a decent amount for solo touring. A top box is also offered.

The riding position is wonderful. Absolutely no knee bend issues for me. I wish the bars were up and back a bit, but this is really a muscle and conditioning issue. Sometimes its better to work on the rider before working on the bike.

The Tiger Explorer is a like a supermoto on steroids. It is quite snappy (similar power to FJR, but lighter).

Great stock weather and bug protection too.

Not too buzzy. Easy maintenance. Im definitely a fan.

I have a 2010 Honda Interstate. It's the VT1300 that replaced the VTX1300 that was around for so long. The interstate is the "touring" model. Basically it has a windshield, hard bags and floor boards. It didn't even have a luggage rack on the back. And with the small gas tank you better start looking for gas around 100 miles if you are on the slab.

It's slow, heavy, has terrible wind turbulence, no lean angle, squirrly at anything >80mph but it's fine as a cruiser. It's not a great touring bike.

I like it for short day rides around South Florida. I have been on long trips with it, but that was before the FJR.

Personally I would never have a cruiser to use as a touring bike again.

I sat on a Vaquero once. Took it off the kick stand. It felt so heavy and unbalanced I put it back on the stand and wrote it off as a bike I would ever own. Never even rode it.

Just shows how settled in our ways we can become. The Vaquero is no worse than either of the VTX models, but then I did take time to ride them.

Ive been wrong about a bike based on sitting on them or short test riding them so many times that I often buy bikes without test rides just to see what my longer term impression will be.

I am convinced that it takes a couple thousand miles to figure out whats really just different, as opposed to whats better or worse.

I'm not sure how tall you are, but the VTX1800 is a great bike. It is VERY roomy, and goes like stink. 3 of my riding buddies have them, and they have no trouble keeping up with me on the FJR. One of the guys is 6'2" and he is very comfortable on it. The Goldwing is a little cramped for him.

The 1800s are older (I think 06 or 07 was the last year), but they are very reliable, easy to work on, and quite nice to look at.

boyitgobob posted: Im just kicking this out so I can say Ive shopped the whole field while recuperating from a broken pelvis. Which non HD cruiser would you recommend for long distance riding? 98% likelihood Ill buy another FJR to go with my Gen 1 FZ1 but Im curious to know if theres a cruiser I should look into?
I pretty much bleed blue, have had a lot of bikes, and am a bit arthritic. Ive almost pulled the trigger on a couple of sportier Moto Guzzi over the years, but chickened out at last minute. If anyone has any long term experience with their cruiser line, please speak up. Any Kaw or Yamaha experience welcome too! TIA!

Bob
When will you be up and about, and when are you expecting to be cleared to ride again? I'm only asking because pelvises (pelvii?) take a while to fully heal. It may be that you're looking at 2018 models, but maybe looking at 2019s.

The only thing that might get me off my FJR is the new Gold Wing. Why? Because the wife's seat is a frickin' Royal Queen's Throne, and I so dearly enjoy having my sweetie riding behind me.

Performance? If you've ever ridden alongside an experienced Wing pilot, you know the bike will get up and move. (

.)
Oh yeah, there's also a LOT of new gadgetry on the 2018, in addition to the legendary Gold Wing wind protection. And it's a Honda, so it won't ever break.

boyitgobob posted: Im just kicking this out so I can say Ive shopped the whole field while recuperating from a broken pelvis. Which non HD cruiser would you recommend for long distance riding? 98% likelihood Ill buy another FJR to go with my Gen 1 FZ1 but Im curious to know if theres a cruiser I should look into?
I pretty much bleed blue, have had a lot of bikes, and am a bit arthritic. Ive almost pulled the trigger on a couple of sportier Moto Guzzi over the years, but chickened out at last minute. If anyone has any long term experience with their cruiser line, please speak up. Any Kaw or Yamaha experience welcome too! TIA!

Bob
When will you be up and about, and when are you expecting to be cleared to ride again? I'm only asking because pelvises (pelvii?) take a while to fully heal. It may be that you're looking at 2018 models, but maybe looking at 2019s.

The only thing that might get me off my FJR is the new Gold Wing. Why? Because the wife's seat is a frickin' Royal Queen's Throne, and I so dearly enjoy having my sweetie riding behind me.

Performance? If you've ever ridden alongside an experienced Wing pilot, you know the bike will get up and move. (

Yellow Wolf(Gary) is a legend in the GW community, no doubt that man can ride!! He also has but big bucks into suspension upgrades, ya ain't gonna do that on a stock set up.

Paul

Just shows how settled in our ways we can become. The Vaquero is no worse than either of the VTX models, but then I did take time to ride them.
Ive been wrong about a bike based on sitting on them or short test riding them so many times that I often buy bikes without test rides just to see what my longer term impression will be.

I am convinced that it takes a couple thousand miles to figure out whats really just different, as opposed to whats better or worse.
Yea, it probably deserved a better chance.The Vaquero wasn't really that bad. It was just really heavy I thought. Of course it's a 1700 and my Honda is a 1300. There were other things I didn't like about the Vaquero. I just wasn't looking for a bike with a big cowling in front like that. Kind of had a car feel to it. Just not the bike for me. I really don't think a ride would have made a difference.

I do know what you mean. I really was having a love/hate relationship with the FJR the first few thousand miles. Now that the bike has broken me in I love it!

Pays not to be too hard headed.

I think really I was just over cruisers when I sat on the Vaquero. I still have one as a second bike, but I can't really ever see myself owning another one.

And that's why they make so many different models.

Bob

Performance? If you've ever ridden alongside an experienced Wing pilot, you know the bike will get up and move. (Four minutes of video.)

Oh yeah, there's also a LOT of new gadgetry on the 2018, in addition to the legendary Gold Wing wind protection. And it's a Honda, so it won't ever break.
The accident happened 8/12, and I’m healing up nicely per my ortho surgeon, will see him at end of the month for another follow-up. Total hip replacement (new socket needed?) may be in the future, we’ll see. I feel like I could ride now except for the nerve damage causing weakness/control issues in left leg. That may be the issue that defines when I buy a new bike. Hate to drop a new bike just after buying it. Right now I’m upgrading my gen 1 FZ1 to be a mini-FJR. I’ll be riding it come spring and see what discomfort levels I experience. You may be right, I might be looking at 2019.

I’ve looked at a couple of cruisers (Vision, Vaquero) this week but not hefted them off their side stands. They looked like I’d be hips down below knees. I’m going to local Moto Guzzi dealer today to see what he’s got in stock but am not hoping for anything to fit better except a older Norge.

I hadn’t reallly considered the Goldwing and variants, I’ll look into them soon. I remember following a new 03 thru a really nice twisty road while on my FJ1200, and that guy could hustle it, even with feet on highway pegs. I’ve never ridden one and am looking for comfy, so it goes on the list. The list is still topped by the FJR, need to see the 18 matte blue in person.

The shopping for another bike has been what’s kept me going since a week after surgery. I’ve frequently regretted selling a bike in the past, but I swear I was grieving for the loss of my FJR. Maybe I was grieving losing my dreams. Thanks to all for the suggestions and opinions.

Bob

Well, I had a good day. Sat on a C14, a Norge, and an 08 FJR. Sitting on that FJR was like coming home. Probably won’t buy It, has a few farkles, 59k, and probably needs a shock. Not a bad deal, but I already have one black bike and it’s not my favorite color. The big upside was it was the easiest to swing a leg over and very comfortable. They had a holdover 16ES he was asking 15k for. Like to see that blue outdoors.

The Vaquero reminded me of a car dashboard too. Sort of retro. Like the dash in my 67 Mustang.

The Vaqueros radio sucked. The radio in the F6B is better, but I dont listen while riding. Im focused on the ride and find music or other programs to be distracting.

I liked the looks of the Vaquero’s fairing and styling but PO put Maltese cross mirrors and French tickler grips on it. Sorta killed it for me.

I liked my Vaquero, except for its v-twin power, and the horrible backward sloping pillion seat. But when I bought another Rocket III Touring a couple of months after the Vaquero, the Vaquero was so anemic in comparison that I traded it because I knew it would never be chosen again, except when I wanted cruise control.

I traded it virtually even on the Tiger Explorer which also has Cruise.

Latest posts