Who uses a Mac?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What can't you do Garmin wise on a Mac?
Get RoadTrip to run my maps converted from a PC using Map Converter. I just updated to 2010 NT and Converter does not seem to consider the update. But I wouldn't know since the map will not install to see if the update is included in the conversion or not. I have spent several hours trying to get this to convert/run on different occasions (just step away from the computer :angry2: ) with no success.

For me the best bet is now the netbook for mapping so I can work with routes/tracks at dualsport rides and on road trips. I can also use it for quick photo editing and a conduit to a big-ass portable hard drive. Until then I will just have to use my daughters hand-me-down PC where all my GDB/GPZ files are stored.

I am on pcs but I have an itouch, 2 iPods, and Appletv. As well as these Apple products run I may have to seriously look at Mac products next time the computer needs replacing.

Yup, Mac lover here. iMac as main rig, Mac mini as HPTC, iPod Touch, iPhone 3GS, as well as my wife's iPod Touch...

I use MAC, PC, and Linux......I teach computer repair so I have to speak as many OS's as possible. I'm mostly on Win/PC machines, but MAC are wonderful. I wish the price was better, but they are worth extra $$$.

Yep, went Pc free at home with a grape iMac and now have 5 in the house. Of course I sit here typing on a PC laptop because something internet based would not work on the PC.... hahahahaha take that. I lost the mac so wife could do school. It would not function on the PC! (PC freeish)

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a Mac - sold it.
None of the real estate software my wife was using worked on it....
isn't that what boot camp or Parallels software is for?

I bought an iMac a few months ago after a few days of pc-related viruses ruined my life.

I've been really happy with it. Most stuff is pretty intuitive, assuming you can program a vcr or make your microwave cook on reduced power.

I use parallels for a few programs I have that are pc-only, and it's performed great.

Big fan so far.

Bootcamp can be used also and it is free vs. Parallels. Another option is Virtual Box like Parallels and free from Sun. I use VMWare and it is pretty good too. I do have a netbook with XP also, that I use for travel meetings and trips. I don't like the Map software from Garmin at all for the Mac Roadtrip. I use the Windows version it is better IMO.

Both PC and Mac computers here, but everyone here only uses the PCs.

I am a computer engineer and need to have both because some of my customers have Macs.

Parallels? BootCamp? Why buy a MAC to run Windows?

Not all Windows software and/or hardware drivers will play well that way.

Both PC and Mac computers here, but everyone here only uses the PCs.I am a computer engineer and need to have both because some of my customers have Macs.

Bootcamp is dual boot with a separate partition , so you can run it as a 100% windows box if you wish and you do not have to have a dedicated machine. In fact they benched out the Macbook Pro as the fastest laptop running Windows XP by PC World. I have not had any driver issues with Windows as a Virtual Machine, but I have not run anything too complicated. I am running Windows 7 under dual boot also to test drivers currently for a Medical device company

Both PC and Mac computers here, but everyone here only uses the PCs.I am a computer engineer and need to have both because some of my customers have Macs.

Bootcamp is dual boot with a separate partition , so you can run it as a 100% windows box if you wish and you do not have to have a dedicated machine. In fact they benched out the Macbook Pro as the fastest laptop running Windows XP by PC World. I have not had any driver issues with Windows as a Virtual Machine, but I have not run anything too complicated. I am running Windows 7 under dual boot also to test drivers currently for a Medical device company
I have clients that have not been able to get all their XP-Pro stuff to work and could not get tech support because the companies that produce the products say they will not support their products running on a Mac. That's not to say that they won't work but some companies simply refuse to offer support for that platform.

In September '07 they tested the Macbook Pro and reported a PC WorldBench 6 Beta 2 score of 88, but in October '07, a few weeks later, they reported a WorldBench 6 Beta 2 score of 97 for the Eurocom D900C Phantom X laptop.

I've been using at Mac home for many years and a Windows machine at work. I have no problems with a Mac and it does everything I need it to do. It's my preferred system. Can't think of a windows program that I use that isn't available for a Mac.

PC laptop for just browsing forums, but I switched my business to iMacs a couple years ago. The Mac is a much more stable platform and is a LOT easier to maintain.

The only software that won't run on the Mac that I need to use is the update program for my Lowrance aviation unit. I don't run Windows on the iMacs.

Macs only at my house. It's easiest interface I've ever used and my wife and kids are all enthusiastic Mac-users.

I've been a Mac guy since the 512Ke "Fat Mac".

It had a Motorola 68000 CPU running at a blazing 8 MHz.

As the name suggests it was stuffed with a whopping 512 kilobytes of RAM.

The 9 inch black and white (2 bit) screen had a 72 dpi resolution,

and sported "Scroll Bars".
And who would ever need more than one mouse button?

It had the newfangeled dual sided 800k internal floppy drive - and an external single sided 400k floppy drive.

It was running system 4.7- small enough to fit on the 400k disk.

MacWrite, MacPaint, and MacDraw were the hot programs. But I had to be different, I was using MindWrite for the word processor.

When I finally retired it, after getting my CX, I cracked the case open. Sure enough, on the inside back cover I found the 30 signatures of the original design team.

Ahhhh

Such fond memories come to mind...
[SIZE=12pt]Damit, I'm still 39![/SIZE]

:D

Brodie

I have clients that have not been able to get all their XP-Pro stuff to work and could not get tech support because the companies that produce the products say they will not support their products running on a Mac. That's not to say that they won't work but some companies simply refuse to offer support for that platform.

In September '07 they tested the Macbook Pro and reported a PC WorldBench 6 Beta 2 score of 88, but in October '07, a few weeks later, they reported a WorldBench 6 Beta 2 score of 97 for the Eurocom D900C Phantom X laptop.
I run a MacBook with VMWare on a partition for one stinking program... <_< The Mac does everything i need for 99% of my computing needs.

When Mac started using Intel, It opened up the world for all of us prisoners of PC to break free from a windows box, And use Mac, And still have windows as a safety net. That was a huge deal for me as i heard all the horror stories about the lack of support for non Windows machines.

NO WORRIES ANYMORE! :yahoo:

Have had Macs for the past nine years.

Like the intuitive OS and applications that come free with Macs, e.g., iMovie, iPhoto, iDVD. iWeb, iMail, Safari. Have a Mac Pro quad 2.66 and MacBook Pro 15 " 2.4. Use both for photography work--Photoshop CS4 and Lightroom 2. Open RAW files in Lightroom and Export to CS4 for finishing work. (Nikon D90 with 18-200 lens for most shooting.)

Oh. yes, I almost forgot Time Machine, Apple's OS supplied back up application. Time Machine when opened displays a "3D" layered view of the past by day. Just select some day in the past and the file you want to retrieve and select "Restore". The file is brought "forward" to current view.

I have a 500GB USB drive attached with velcro to the underside of my Rain Design (https://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html) laptop stand that provides excellent backup. The Mac Pro has 4 HD's: two 750's, one 500 and one 250. One of the 750 GB drive is dedicated to Time Machine backup.

Have Garmin Zumo 450 and find Road Map works well for trip routing.

Also have 80 GB iPod and 32 GB iTouch. Use iPod for music played through J & M CB with helmet mounted speakers.

I help many neighbors trouble shoot their Windows machines when they have problems. No one needs to help me with Macs as my OS/hardware issues are rare, and when I need to contact Mac tech support I get US based speakers.

This last Spring I was about as overdue for a computer upgrade as you can get, so I ultimately opted for the biggest I-Mac I could get w/ all the goodies. Given that my skills were at least as out of date as my rolling stock before the change-up, & combined with crossover issues from years on PCs, I've had my quota of frustrations during my current learning curve!! At times what my Mac using acquaintences call it's "intuitiveness" feels alot more like it's "second guessing me", leading me to mutter @!~%#)$^+** things about " ...damn machines telling me what I want!!". But I suspect If I ever get up tp speed & even close to using it up to it's potential, I discover it's a helluva MOchine!