Why a Harley Davidson isn't a real American motorcycle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, thought about quoting him here a couple of times... just too many good lines to even know where to begin ;)

I've read it before and its tiresome to read it completely...But it's the best Harley rant ever written. It would be damn hard trying to add to it. Also funny if you can detect the sarcasim and humor. The only exception to it I can think of is a small percentage of owners do ride their HD's with skill and travel the country. Not the bike I'd choose for that but I'll not be critical of anyone who rides for enjoyment without posing.

Bill

That needs to get out and ride.
+1, Gunny! https://www.facebook.com/chrisshields What is really interesting about this Black Echo - Christopher T. Shields is that there is no evidence whatsoever that this Star Wars geek and DC Comics freak even rides a motorcycle!

https://www.blogger.com/profile/04647913776402607463 This man is a prolific writer no two ways about it, but not a single article from science-fiction guy Chris Shields - Black Echo about the joys and experiences of riding any motorcycles!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like how his article is not just about Harley bashing, (anyone can do that) it's also a rant about how H.D. could and should be a real competitor in the world of motorcycles. Both in sales, and performance pointing out how they charge more for less product. And how one would feel if this business practice were used on other products that we use every day. The normal person would'nt put up with it and they would be out of business in a N.Y. minute. It just boggles the mind how H.D. can continue to do this day in, day out, year after year. Are Americans becoming that blind and stupid? If so we need a serious wake up call America.

https://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Harley-Davidson_(HOG) Here is all I need to know about Harley-Davidson: I have owned Company Stock since the Corporation went Public and it has been a Gold Mine for me.

I will continue to invest and reap the H-D dividends, until that little financial voice in my head tells me it is finally time to sell!

Damn it Don, I wish I had some of that stock.

Just because they don't flip our switch sure does not mean there is anything wrong with them.
Dave My Friend, there is no doubt in our military minds that an FJR is a much better motorcycle than an H-D. But with my "playing around with stocks", legalized gambling for we poor Irish, the Bar and Shield has made me mucho Dinero; until it's time to sell, hopefully this thick and dumb Paddy will know the exact time to pull the trigger!

Also...That article is really old. He was talking about HD going to Porche for an engine. That was the V-Rod engine that came out in what...2001,2002??

I bet this article is from 2000 or 2001. Although they don't build any "performance" bikes, their quality has greatly improved over the last 12 years. I still wouldn't buy one, but we don't all have to agree.

Also...That article is really old. He was talking about HD going to Porche for an engine. That was the V-Rod engine that came out in what...2001,2002??

I bet this article is from 2000 or 2001. Although they don't build any "performance" bikes, their quality has greatly improved over the last 12 years. I still wouldn't buy one, but we don't all have to agree.
What the Hell are you talking about, when we were shooting the breeze on the phone Saturday we both agreed that Bustanut joker and RadioHowie were way too stupid to step out of shit storm!

What the Hell are you talking about, when we were shooting the breeze on the phone Saturday we both agreed that Bustanut joker and RadioHowie were way too stupid to step out of shit storm!
Would either one of them look any different after a shit storm than before.??????? :p

Would either one of them look any different after a shit storm than before.??????? :p
Your point is very well taken FJRay - Bravo, that is an excellent observation; just one of the many reasons you are the Einstein of this mess, besides keeping our dcarver from totally fucking up!

Damn it Don, I wish I had some of that stock.

Just because they don't flip our switch sure does not mean there is anything wrong with them.
Dave My Friend, there is no doubt in our military minds that an FJR is a much better motorcycle than an H-D. But with my "playing around with stocks", legalized gambling for we poor Irish, the Bar and Shield has made me mucho Dinero; until it's time to sell, hopefully this thick and dumb Paddy will know the exact time to pull the trigger!
I don't know if you have been paying attention, but H-D stock ain't exactly been doing great over the last several years. And yes, I also own some.

As for the writer of the H-D rant, he is an interesting one. And yes, he at least rode motorcycles in his younger days.

I found the following long-winded but interesting blog about a long-ago ex-girlfriend in which he mentions an old Yamaha and then a VFR. Compelling read: Clicky for 'You Will Always Be Blue Collar'