Why didn't I think of this before

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryfarnham

Reaction score
At christmas I received a new battery tender. I mounted the battery in and the charging wire into the fairing. Now instead of tearing the fairing apart each time the battery needs charging I just hook up the tender to the outside wire. Works alot better and saves on time.

It also gives you an extra 12 volt power source. Connector type can be purchased at any car parts store and then can connect to whatever you like.

I buy the battery pigtails 10 at a time and put them on all my stuff and anything I work on. That way the next time It is in my shop the leads are there ready to go. :)

A Powerlet plug is one of the first things install on any bike. I use it for my battery tender and my heated vest.

I buy the battery pigtails 10 at a time and put them on all my stuff and anything I work on. That way the next time It is in my shop the leads are there ready to go. :)
And where might you buy these pigtails by themselves?

Are you talking about this plug:

PAC-039_p_59_webl.jpg

I have one on both bikes. Runs the Tender, compressor, and what ever else I need to plug in.

Like Scoots, it's one of the first things I do to any bike.

BUT....

...a lesson from the "I successfully goofed that up once" book of life...

If you buy one of the two plug loops, to cut apart for two installations like THIS:

41kwUMzHF0L.jpg

Just remember that on one connector, the red goes to the negative battery terminal!

Look close and you'll see that one end has the red going to the prong that will be exposed. The exposed prong is the one that should be grounded.

Last edited by a moderator:
And where might you buy these pigtails by themselves?
I get them from Tucker Rocky. They come with the ends and a fuse. They cost me 6.00 each.

I hooked one up to my FZ1 fuse panel and the battery tender works through it. I like this better than a direct connection to the battery terminals.

BUT....

If you buy one of the two plug loops, to cut apart for two installations like THIS:

41kwUMzHF0L.jpg

Just remember that on one connector, the red goes to the negative battery terminal!

Look close and you'll see that one end has the red going to the prong that will be exposed. The exposed prong is the one that should be grounded.
Ummm. I beg to differ, sir. If you start attaching red leads to your negative battery terminal, something will certainly go amiss, sooner or later. When you separate the two connectors as shown in the picture that you provided, the one on the right should be connected to your battery. The other one should be used for the mating electrical farkle only, and never connected directly to the battery, to avoid confusion.

BUT....

41kwUMzHF0L.jpg

Ummm. I beg to differ, sir. If you start attaching red leads to your negative battery terminal, something will certainly go amiss, sooner or later. When you separate the two connectors as shown in the picture that you provided, the one on the right should be connected to your battery. The other one should be used for the mating electrical farkle only, and never connected directly to the battery, to avoid confusion.
I think you are both right, just talking about different things. If you take that loop and cut it in half so you have two separate SAE connectors you can use either piece to wire to a battery or to a device. Just remember that the wire from the exposed terminal will be ground when connecting to the power source (like a battery), and the exposed terminal will be connected to the positive wire going into a device.

BUT....

41kwUMzHF0L.jpg

On my FJR as it came from the factory, red goes to the battery positive. As it does on cars. Red for hot.

GaryK