Why I Am Not Getting An '06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yamamatic.
Don't confuse "electronic shifting" with "automatic", please.

Anyone know what the AMA rules are for "factory options" on supersport bikes? Because that's where I see this heading in a few years...

[rant]

Although the AMA is being kind of luddite-ish this year, at least in MX / SX. They've outlawed 2wd (Yamaha) and multi-cylinder (Aprilia) bikes. So much for innovation. :angry:

[/rant]

That might be enough to update with an '06 FZ-1 and set her up for touring.
Like this?

42646.jpg

https://www.fjrowners.ws/discus/messages/2/...html?1128969383

Brundog-

Get out there an ride, my boy! Less than 2K miles all year? Should be ashamed of yourself!

I agree with what you say. Newer isn't always better. Truly once you get the FJR setup the way you want it, why go with a new model? Dispel the latest/greatest mentality..it's all marketing.

BD, Nice write up ...well thought out....I agree with you on a lot of stuff....but I ordered an '06 anyway....the deciding factor was the expansion of the cooling system and the adjustability of the fairing. I love my '05 but its still a hair warm for me and I am in FL also...Port St. Lucie. Give me a shout if you are riding up to Daytona Beach...I am heading up on Friday, the 21st. We can compare farkles. I do have a beautiful Sargent Seat with Heater...I know we don't need it here...but there are other places it would be nice. I have some great farkles I will probably off before I sell my '05 including my Sargent Seat. Other than that Yamaha addressed the exact things I would have addressed. Ride safe, Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m hoping I get a good 5 or 6 years and 100,000 miles on my FJR before upgrading it, so I’ll be eagerly waiting for the 2010 model year. :D

all good points . i had the chance to see the dark blue 06 at the new york show . the dark blue is very rich looking. tack and speed is very nice the mirrors and upgraded brake system . if i had the cash i would wait to see what others had to say about the bike . but i dont have the cash and the 05 is 6 mths. old with some farkles on it pegs, sliders, risers, c baillys . and she works fine .

Well I know why I'm not getting one. Because they are fookin expensive that's why!

Besides, my 05 is just to the point where I've scratched and dinged it up a little and I don't worry about it much now and it's all broken in and ready to be ridden hard!

I'll get another one though someday. :)

-r

Now, I must admit, I love the have the latest and greatest. It bugs me when I know there is something better out there and I don't have it. It is an illness - an expensive one at that, especially because I always want the "optioned out" version of whatever I am buying.
Over the last few weeks I have struggled mentally with the idea of upgrading my '05 to the '06. Originally, I was unequivocally going to upgrade. It sounds like a great bike, and if I had to take it on the chin financially, then so be it.

Fortunately, reason has settled in, and I have changed my mind and will be staying with my '05.

The reasons, as it turns out, are quite simple. The new bike promises to fix some issues with the current model. But for me, the "issues" are essentially a "non-issue". In no particular order, although the list may mirror the '06 feature list of the website:

1. Yes, my bike is a little warm, but with some creative foam placement and richening up the mix this is completely alleviated. And I should know. I live in a swamp where it can never be humid enough (South Florida). And while the curved radiator sounds like a great idea, my bike doesn't overheat even in the peak noontime blaze.

2. I like the stock windshield configuration. It works for me just perfectly. I can see over it and get nice clean air to my chin for normal riding, duck behind it for foul weather. Maybe I'll add a spacer someday for more rake, but otherwise I'm thrilled.

3. I like my ABS brakes as they are: unlinked.

4. My handlebars are comfortable and my seat (sucks) height is good for my at 6' 0" / 33" inseam. No adjustment needed, thank you.

5. I'm OK with the current gearing. Between the taller gear and the longer wheelbase, it will be much harder to wheelie an '06. (Truth be told I have never and will likely never purposely wheelie, at least without killing myself, but at least I know I can if I want to).

6. Bike width is OK by me. What the heck it 1" less going to do?

7. I ride solo, so I couldn't give a rat's ass where the passenger pegs are. I might just take them off to save a few ounces!

8. The guages are currently great. Do I really care what gear I am in? If I need more juice I downshift. If I want to cruise I upshift. And at the top, 5th gear is 70 mph at 4k. Simple as pie. And do I really care how many MPG I am currently getting? I care about this in my car and sometimes adjust my driving intensity as a result - I don't want this on my bike. And God knows I don't need any other distractions.

9. I have never needed to adjust my headlights, so they could put the knob on the handlebar for all I care, I still won't need it.

10. Revised throttle pulley. You mean remove the extra butterfly spring as many of us have already done on the '05?

11. If I need to open the glove box in gear, I need a life. Neutral is easy enough to find, and I certainly hope I don't make a habit of fidding with things in the glovebox while underway. On top of that, why the frig would I want the outlet to be inside the 2" square box? WTF good is that going to do?

12. While the look of the '06 is appealing, it is certainly not enough of a departure to make my eyes pop out and my heart go-a-flutter. This is evolutionary, certainly not revolutionary.

13. My '05 has a catalyst. Ideally, it would have none. Why would I want another like the '06 has?

And the most important reason: FARKLES! I have my bike configured exactly as I want it: MCL brace, hyperlites, fuseblock, Audiovox CC, powelet outlet, radiator fan switch, Scorpio alarm, tankslapper, custom radiator guard, Magnum Blasters, R&G sliders, headlight protectors, voltmeter/temp gauge/stopwatch, etc.

Please don't read this and think I am knocking the '06. I am not. If I were looking forward to an FJR for the first time I would undoubtedly wait for the '06 instead of searching down an '05. But without any significant suspension or engine/tranny upgrades, I just can't see any reason to switch. My '05 is perfect. Why mess with success? And the idea of re-doing my farkles is certainly a painful thought.

Now, if my ride begins to tick, the above essay will become null and void, because I will be first in line to my dealer for a tickless '06.

-BD
I love it!! A satisfied 05 customer!! :D

Well, at least until it get fleas or ticks :)

Well I know why I'm not getting one. Because they are fookin expensive that's why!
Besides, my 05 is just to the point where I've scratched and dinged it up a little and I don't worry about it much now and it's all broken in and ready to be ridden hard!

I'll get another one though someday. :)

-r
Ah, a truly honest man!