Why I LOVE my FJR... and farkles...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
OK, so I'm STILL commuting each day on the FJR here in Bellevue, WA.

I am now 110% convinced the FJR was the right purchase for me.

Let's examine the reasons why I LOVE this bike...

1 - this community - seriously, with you guys, it'd be much more difficult to know what to modify and what to leave alone, in the quest to make this bike truely work for me. Thanks. :)

2 - adjustable windscreen - when outfitted with the Cee Baileys (+4/+3), around town running (below 40 mph) sees me sitting in an amazingly calm pocket of air. I can see over the screen when raised, but can run all day with my visor up. This adjustability also ensures, as speed increases, rain is carried over me on the highway

3 - adjustable side jiggers (technical term to describe the side wings on the body work, near the engine) - debates rage over what this does - for me, I'm noticing more air directed AROUND my legs. No real effect on increasing heat directed at me, but definitely moves air around me as speeds increase - I notice this effect even around town (so, call that below 40 mph or so...)

4 - seat - I know the flames will come...but the stock seat is just fine for around town riding - anything up to about 2 hours for me, really...

5 - power delivery - anyone crowing about a sixth speed, well, I can tell you first gear is a very nice balance to manage on wet, leaf-covered slippery PNW roads. ;) If a sixth gear brings me a shorter first gear, I'd skip it. Same with 2nd and third - load so power on hand to use 3rd around town to modulate power dielivery on slick surfaces

6 - suspension - take the itme to dial yours in - someone did an initial setup for me (thanks to escapefjrtist) and I have found that it made a HUGE difference in handling and comfort, thus increasing my confidence when handling the bike

7 - range - ah, I fill up maybe once a week, and that includes 100+ mile son a weekend ride

8 - adjustable controls - when wearing thicker gloves in winter riding, it's nice to be able to adjust the clutch and brake if needed to facilitate the thicker gloves. (Wearing Olympias now - really warm, windproof, waterproof (tests last weekend))

9 - kitchen-sinkability - technical term refering to the ability to haul junk...and not just MY junk... ;) With the side cases and a top box, plus underseat storage space, even the packiest of rats can be happy leaving home with, you got it, even the kitchen sink onboard!

10 - adjustable lights - wow - what a difference a few clicks UP makes to where light is thrown - adding my headlight modulator to the high beams a few weeks ago was a great idea, too. Happy with this mod.

11 - color - black gets dirty easy - stays dirty a LONG time, too, as I'm not washing the Black Barge any time soon. :D

12 - RAM mount for GPS - LOVE this system - cannot think of a single improvement I'd wish for

13 - emotional investment - lost track of how many hours I've invested looking over the bike noodling on ideas for improvements, farkles, etc. Fun stuff for me!

14 - emotional adjustability - this bike NEVER fails to stir my emotions and MAKES me want to point it south and keep riding until I run out of road. Have yet to have a single ride - even commuting - that wasn't "aces up" because of this ad ride. It turns simple commuting into fun and rocks in all uses, IMO.

It sure is nice to hear good things and not just complaints from loosers...

I love my FJR too!

No he's just one of those touchee feelie guys from north of the boarder. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am now 110% convinced the FJR was the right purchase for me.Let's examine the reasons why I LOVE this bike...

1 - this community - seriously, with you guys, it'd be much more difficult to know what to modify and what to leave alone, in the quest to make this bike truely work for me. Thanks. :)
I'm touched... I feel so warm an fuzzy all of a sudden

No wait..

Nevermind,...... I was touching myself :huh:

:jester:

Ditto, again!

I managed to triple my mileage by moving to the FJR for commute (diesel dually had been my commute vehicle).

And, this site has had everything I've wanted to know (and some things I didn't...like worried about "ticking") about the bike.

Neihart - Panman - yeah, well you guys are... mean! Yeah... MEAN!

Wet leaves, Canadian jokes... I'm hurt, I'm... er, what were we talking about... I thought I smelled bacon...

*secretly I was drawn to Heihart's butt all day on the ride - i scarely noticed the wet leaves...* - Duane channeling BustaNut Joker... ;)

Forgot to mention, today's commute was a balmy 37 degrees this morning...!

They have a fantastic "air bubble" that really helps keep you dry even when it is raining pretty good , I am mostly dry. My quest for 2010 will include the search for the perfect front tire.

Damn good assessment. Agree with everything you said, but if you want a REAL emotional attachment, blow up the motor, don't ride for a year, yank out the junk, put in a new one and cobble it all back together.

THAT will give you an emotional attachment that is damn near impossible to verbalize.

I've owned my Feej for 4 years, so it would be easy to assume the "new" has worn off, but since I've put Frankenbike back on the road, I'm catching myself going out to the parking lot at work 4-6 times a day and just looking at him sitting there, ready to rock and roll.

Last night I went out and greased up all the pivots on the clutch and brake levers, including completely disassembling the rear brake unit, just to clean and lube the damn things, even though they didn't need it. I'm planning on flushing all the hydraulics this weekend just to spend time with it.

I guess I'm suffering from "Rebuild Withdrawal" and just can't stop finding things to do. :D

I'd have to say the FJR is, all-around, the best bike I've ever owned.

'Howie

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to mention, today's commute was a balmy 37 degrees this morning...!
Nice summary Duane...pretty much sums it up for me as well! :rolleyes:

PS -- You are watching the weather, eh? Remember what the white stuff looks like? Calling for a snow level of 500' tomorrow afternoon / night. :angry: Looks like I'll have the first snow of the season tomorrow.

--G

Howie, Howie, Howie... you've done gone and outed yourself.

Bike's are she's not he's... unless you're "enjoying an alternative lifestyle" (kudos to you, nothing wrong with that)... ;)

escapefjrtist, yep, I've been watching the weather AND the VW dealer's lot. :) Worst case the FJR can spend the night in the Bravern Parkade, but I suspect in low-lying Bellevue and Kirkland we'll be OK - might be kinda cool to pootle along on wet roads with big flakes floating down... :)

Still, those above 500 ft can keep the white stuff - I'll happily skip it. :) Seen enough. ;)

Howie, Howie, Howie... you've done gone and outed yourself.
Bike's are she's not he's... unless you're "enjoying an alternative lifestyle" (kudos to you, nothing wrong with that)... ;)
Okay, if you want to think of your bike as some froo-froo, lace-wearing, tampon using nag machine, go ahead.

But MY FJR is a STUD! A real Chuck Norris/Jack Bauer of a motorcycle.

Be sure to tuck your FJR into bed tonight, will ya? Cuddle at your discretion.

:p

I hate my FJR! It just sits in the garage collecting dust and using electricity. Damn thing is really getting on my bad side. My Busa is doing the same thing. Maybe next spring.

I hate my FJR! It just sits in the garage collecting dust and using electricity. Damn thing is really getting on my bad side. My Busa is doing the same thing. Maybe next spring.
Throw a deck of cards into the garage. By spring you'll have two naked bikes! :D