Why my side case fell off

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You watery bastards have me hand-checking my bags in-transit more than I'd like to admit. I'm going to have to pin mine. It's inside my head now.

Just looked and see that if the bags are OFF the bike, it shouldn't be a problem.
fool.gif

My issue is that those darn screws are hard to access as the lock lever doesn't raise high enough to get a straight shot with the tool. What am I missing here? People using short drivers, or what?
Bag off the bike, catch fully open. This pic shows a straight run is available.(Click on image for larger view)

I did it (loctited screws using a normal screwdriver and the appropriate bit) in 3 minutes. If it was hard I couldn't have done it in a week with a bag of blow and a Snap-On truck of tools.

Here's a far more important (maybe impotent) question:
Why would anyone (named Yamaha) decide to use "security torx screws" in this particular application, which resides under a key-locked lever?

no2.gif
The hardware salesman was real good. :lol:

^^^^ Is that a Canadian key? Mine doesn't look anywhere near that luxurious. Maybe there's a pushbutton to lock the forks?

Unc -

Yes, that is a ~$20 Canadian ignition key. Fork lock is counterclockwise past OFF, with a push down and full left lock.

Here is an $1100 key -

(I am told thats the cost of parts if you lose the master)

-Steve

The bits are pretty cheap if you can find a place that sells them individually.I'm surprised a moderator hasn't come on and asked why you didn't do a search.

This topic has been hashed and rehashed many times over the years.
Dear Stealth,

FYI: The search engine sucks. Many people, obviously, have benefited from renewing this topic. Please consider removing wild hairs from your anatomy.

Unc -Yes, that is a ~$20 Canadian ignition key. Fork lock is counterclockwise past OFF, with a push down and full left lock.

Here is an $1100 key -

(I am told thats the cost of parts if you lose the master)

-Steve
Same key in the UK. The cost to replace it is that high because the red key is very firmly tied to the ECU, which would need replacing as well.

Lose the red key, while the two black keys will continue to work, you couldn't reprogram the ECU to work with any replacement (and slightly less expensive) black keys.

Keep your red key where you keep all the other stuff that you really don't want to lose.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to work on a lot of locks.

Tamper proof or security screws are pretty common in the lock industry. It's probably what the lock manufacturer was using and saw no reason to use something different when they got the order from Yamaha.

I just read through this thread. I haven't checked the new bike yet. I will do it tonight. The screws on the '07 were loose when I checked them 6 years ago. Haven't touched them since I removed and applied red loctite to them.