Why New Plugs at Only 8,000 Miles?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... that while they don't conduct electricity as well as old school copper plugs ....
[Friday]

WTF has the conductivity of the metal got to do with anything? There's a 5000 ohm resistor in series anyway. Whether the metal has 0.01 ohms or 100 ohms ain't gonna make no odds.

[/Friday]

Fit the plugs, change them when you check the valve clearances, check them when you sync the throttle-bodies .... find something more worthwhile to obsess about :D

All of you say this, but at much over 8k miles, I start getting this funky vibration at speed. As soon as I change the plugs, it goes away. My last chabge, I dropped a set of iridium plugs on there. I think I'm at 12 and it feels like it's back.

However, I really need a new front, so I'm wondering if my front tire isn't just FUBAR enough that it's feeling funny. I now have a low speed wobble that started recently as did the high speed vibration, so maybe it's the front tire and the plugs are fine.

I'm not touchin' nuthin' until that front is changed. If that fixes it, then cool, but if not, I will need someone to explain why I can feel it when my plugs are too old. I could see if I was a worrier, but your guys know me, I ride way more than I stress, so I just don't get it.

I'll report back.

Oh...And FWIW, my brother's Toyota FJ Cruiser has a plug change interval every 26k. I wondered if that wasn't BS, but he says the gas mileage goes to shit if he goes over too far, and comes back at the plug change. I think it's all Black Magic and Voodoo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just changed the 100k plugs on my Silverado 6 liter at 100k..the side electrodes were badly eroded and pitted..way to long of an interval..

Just changed the 100k plugs on my Silverado 6 liter at 100k..the side electrodes were badly eroded and pitted..way to long of an interval..
I changed the plugs on my old Tundra not long ago as well. The truck seemed to be running fine; the MPG was where it should be: all seemed to be well. But the plugs looked awful. The gap was about double what it should be. I put new ones in, and I couldn't tell the difference. I think Mr. Zilla's right; it's Voodoo ;)

All of you say this, but at much over 8k miles, I start getting this funky vibration at speed. As soon as I change the plugs, it goes away. My last chabge, I dropped a set of iridium plugs on there. I think I'm at 12 and it feels like it's back.

Oh...And FWIW, my brother's Toyota FJ Cruiser has a plug change interval every 26k. I wondered if that wasn't BS, but he says the gas mileage goes to shit if he goes over too far, and comes back at the plug change. I think it's all Black Magic and Voodoo.
What? Have we found a kink in the armor of 'zilla's FJR? This is the bike that drinks pure ethanol for breakfast and climbs high altitudes for lunch without a hiccup!
punk.gif

I changed the plugs on my old Tundra not long ago as well. The truck seemed to be running fine; the MPG was where it should be: all seemed to be well. But the plugs looked awful. The gap was about double what it should be. I put new ones in, and I couldn't tell the difference. I think Mr. Zilla's right; it's Voodoo
wink.png
Another Toyota anecdote. Changed the plugs on my Tacoma, recommended interval is 30k but let them go 60k (or was it 80k?). Plugs looked like they had been sandblasted, edges of both electrode and anode were moderately rounded, nice wide gap too. The thing just keeps running though. I think Toyota's voodoo is stronger then the plug makers voodoo.

Last edited by a moderator: