Windy Ridge Mt. St. Helens Washington

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fontanaman

Robin Trower
Reaction score
The wife and I decided to join our friends Doug and Meg on a ride to Windy Ridge Mt. St Helens. Here is our approximate route.

We met at 10:00am a wife friendly start time and wandered out though the Enumclaw plateau.

Mt. Rainier near Enumclaw.
IMG_1205%2520%2528600x329%2529.jpg

I said approximate route cause we wondered around in a futile attempt to get to Hwy 7 to enjoy the twisty near LaGrande. We found Hwy 7 close for construction. So had to head to Eatonville and down to Alder where we started following a pack of motorcyclist all the way to Morton. Rather than following the motorcyclist up to Randle we decide to have lunch in Morton and stop for gas.

After refueling a feeding we continue east on Hwy 12.

A distant view of Mt. Adams.
IMG_1207%2520%2528600x274%2529.jpg

Not long after taking this picture we road through a swarm of bees. Nobody was stung. We were wearing all our gear, all buttoned up with full helmets. The gear did it’s job.

We entered Randle and heading toward FS 25. Here is a photo of Forest Service road (FS) 25, a hall of trees.
IMG_1209%2520%2528600x449%2529.jpg

FS 25 is very rough, especially northbound, and with high contrast lighting it is hard to pick out the bumps. We managed to miss most of them. Finally we reach the reason to be here, FS 99, a twist fest of fun! The first 5 miles of are my favorite but is all good.

FS 99 in the blow down area. Blow down because when the mountain blew on 1980, the trees got blown down.

IMG_1211%2520%2528600x260%2529.jpg

This is one road you want to enjoy now, not later as the trees are coming back and the site lines are deteriorating

Mt. St. Helens from Windy Ridge. The cloud above the mountain was likely dust.
IMG_1213%2520%2528600x450%2529.jpg

With the trees gone you can see Mt. Adams.
IMG_1216%2520%2528600x450%2529.jpg

The trees have been floating in Spirit Lake since May 1980.
IMG_1221%2520%2528600x450%2529.jpg

Mt St Helens from a different view point.
IMG_1223%2520%2528600x450%2529.jpg

Linda and I on the FJR
IMG_1224%2520%2528600x450%2529.jpg

Mt Adams
IMG_1226%2520%2528600x450%2529.jpg

We head home on the bumpy FS 25 where I choose to follow a SUV making good time. This strategy helped identify where the bumps were.

It was warm out when we got back to Randle so we ran up east on Hwy 12 to Packwood and continued to Cayuse Pass where it was much cooler. From there it was a short ride home. Nice day to be out riding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another RR with great pics! You do make the most out of the summer riding season in the PNWet. Keep it up! :)

Usual good job. Am glad to be retired and do that stuff during the week. Climbed St. Helens a couple of years before it blew, camped up by where the "Dogshead" used to be, messed around, went up the glacier route, great views then.

Another RR with great pics! You do make the most out of the summer riding season in the PNWet. Keep it up!
smile.png
Thanks! I am not riding this weekend. Today the wife and I went to enjoy some classical music on the Olympic Peninsula. The setting in a old farm and the music is played in a barn. We had a nice picnic lunch before the concert. We took the cage. Not to many good road on the direct route. On Sunday we are golfing with my son. He lives on his own and I have not seen him for a while.

Next weekend I hope to be back on the road. Perhaps head over Steven's Pass (Hwy 2) and over to the Red Horse Diner in Ellensburg, a 50's themed diner. This weekend it is a bit warm and windy over there, high near 92. Northwest wind 14 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Not my idea of fun.

Thanks for taking us along Fontanaman. I never get tired of seeing pics from our "riding backyard" !

--G

Nice ride report Jim, thank you for sharing, I hope to check that route out someday, looks like some great scenery :)

Another RR with great pics! You do make the most out of the summer riding season in the PNWet. Keep it up!
smile.png
Thanks! I am not riding this weekend. Today the wife and I went to enjoy some classical music on the Olympic Peninsula. The setting in a old farm and the music is played in a barn. We had a nice picnic lunch before the concert. We took the cage. Not to many good road on the direct route. On Sunday we are golfing with my son. He lives on his own and I have not seen him for a while.
Next weekend I hope to be back on the road. Perhaps head over Steven's Pass (Hwy 2) and over to the Red Horse Diner in Ellensburg, a 50's themed diner. This weekend it is a bit warm and windy over there, high near 92. Northwest wind 14 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Not my idea of fun.

Red Horse is a neat memorabilia stop, I visited there last year after you brought it to our attention.