WInter storage fuel reminder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldryder

Reaction score
It time up here to put the bike away for the year. Put the bike in the barn and brought the snowblower into the garage last weekend. A sad day every year.

just a reminder to plan on making your last fill-up premium "non-oxygenated" i.e. no alcohol fuel. Run the tank to near empty and then fill with the premium. Add the stabilizer right after the fill-up as the most volatile fractions of the gasoline begin disappearing almost immediately.

I know there are new versions of fuel stabilizer that advertise compatibility with alcohol laced fuel. I also know I don't want to test the effectiveness of those new formulations on anything of mine and alcohol remains hydroscopic regardless of additives. I use Stabil because it works for me.

I stored a trail mower in an unheated barn for 2 years with no alcohol fuel and Stabil and it started right up even though I really didn't expect it to.

Note: some argue it is better to drain the fuel system for storage. in some fuel systems (typically carb'ed) draining will leave a small residue of fuel behind that can cause trouble in spring. After my 2nd spring problem with drained carbs I've always used the approach above and never had a problem. However, I don't store a bike (or mower or sled or tractor or whatever) normally for longer than 6 months.

Put the bike away for the year?!?!? You poor bastard.

It's just getting to the best part of the riding season here!

:jester:

:jester:
Yep Oldryder is spot on, I "survived" 3 winters in the Chicagoland and can testify, those winters their SUCK, since MN is farther north makes it worse.

Wished myself right now to AZ.... :dribble:

I drain the gas tank with a siphon hose, close the petcock, then start and run the engine until it quits. After that, I spray a "fogging oil" into the tank, about a 3 second spray, to displace the air in the tank and close the gas cap. (remember to do all of this near the bike's winter parking space so you don't have to push it far, DAMHIK) I push the bikes to the back of the garage and pull the snowmobiles up front, then start prepping the sleds for winter use.

CrabbyJack

I drain the gas tank with a siphon hose, close the petcock, then start and run the engine until it quits. After that, I spray a "fogging oil" into the tank, about a 3 second spray, to displace the air in the tank and close the gas cap. (remember to do all of this near the bike's winter parking space so you don't have to push it far, DAMHIK) I push the bikes to the back of the garage and pull the snowmobiles up front, then start prepping the sleds for winter use.

CrabbyJack
Your FJR has a petcock??

I agree with the Sta Bil but here in PA I do not put the bike to bed for the Winter. I put the heated cloths on and ride it when no snow or ice down. Just never one to put a bike up for winter as there is still plenty of riding to do in the Winter.

And here in PA premium fuel still is 10% Ethanol.

I agree with the Sta Bil but here in PA I do not put the bike to bed for the Winter. I put the heated cloths on and ride it when no snow or ice down. Just never one to put a bike up for winter as there is still plenty of riding to do in the Winter.

Heated gear is wonderful and can keep you warm to temperatures well below freezing. I would love to keep the bike running but don't, for a couple of reasons:

1) Two wheels are terribly unforgiving when you hit a patch of snow or ice. A microsecond later, you are down and sliding down the road.

2) SALT!! They use megatons of it around here. Aluminum bike parts hate the stuff!

Ross

I've never put anything in my tank other than gas, never had a problem. I do ride it as long as there's no snow or ice on the roads, it usually doesn't sit to long

Put the what away for the what?? That's crazy talk!

Ok you two..... There should be enough here for the both of ya's.

IMG_4775.jpg

:fuck:

Heated gear is wonderful and can keep you warm to temperatures well below freezing. I would love to keep the bike running but don't, for a couple of reasons:

1) Two wheels are terribly unforgiving when you hit a patch of snow or ice. A microsecond later, you are down and sliding down the road.

2) SALT!! They use megatons of it around here. Aluminum bike parts hate the stuff!

Ross
I understand the salt, aluminum chloride, sand/cinder and black ice well. I have yet to go down on black ice as I do not ride if there is ice or snow down. I also use the local car wash to wash off winter rust makings from road splunge.

As to heated gear I ride into the 20's with no issues. Jacket, Pants, Socks, and Gloves and I am fine and warm.

I do not rack the miles up to much but still put them on and still change to a Winter oil in the bike and car for that matter. I think PA climate has changed over the last 25-30 years and we for sure do not get Winter like we did when I was a kid.

Not calling anyone a pussy, just saying we all do not put our bikes away for the winter :p

And Premium Gas does have Ethanol in it here in PA. Marine Sta Bil and Ring Free is your friend all year long.

Put the what away for the what?? That's crazy talk!
The very though would have me out on the ledge.

Wishing all of you poor souls a short winter!
+1, Gunny; 90F here in Phoenix yesterday, I hope those fucking Michigan cocksuckers stay frozen until May!
Wow, finally cooled down from 106 so you could ride?
Right you are Ray, I was riding with my heated gear on yesterday because I was freezing my fat ass off at 90F!