Winterizing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PatMitchell: They would frown a little if I strapped it on top of the F-117.

I thought the F-117 was deactivated nine-ten years ago.

Perfect, thanks much appreciated. I'm going to prep her this weekend, and train the wife to start her up once a month for 15 minutes and tuck her back in. Be back in in 2019.

Once its parked... don't start it and put acidic condensation back into the crank.... Leave it alone until you are ready to wake it up for the season.
Okay, leave it alone. But what about if you get a warm spell and ride it?

Perfect, thanks much appreciated. I'm going to prep her this weekend, and train the wife to start her up once a month for 15 minutes and tuck her back in. Be back in in 2019.
Once its parked... don't start it and put acidic condensation back into the crank.... Leave it alone until you are ready to wake it up for the season.
Okay, leave it alone. But what about if you get a warm spell and ride it?
Not a problem. The key is to get the bike FULLY warmed up before it gets shut off. More than just running it until the coolant temperature is in the operating range. You need to run it long enough to fully heat the oil and exhaust system and evaporate out the moisture that condensed in these areas during the warm-up. I would suggest running (riding) it at least 20 minutes. Longer if the ambient temperature is cold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pterodactyl posted: I thought the F-117 was deactivated nine-ten years ago.
Maybe he's flying it for someone other than the USAF. [Insert your favorite conspiracy theory here, except don't post it.]

I thought the F-117 was deactivated nine-ten years ago.
True.

So was FJRay, . . . but there are still occasional sightings.
Once again OM scores. Pot meet Kettle.
fuck.gif

Finally got around to the winterizing. What a project.

Let all the summer air out of the tires and refilled with the cool dense winter air.

Let all the summer air out of the tires and refilled with the cool dense winter air.
Did you get all that done in one day or break it up so as not to strain yourself??:):):):)

Maybe not as dumb as it may sound; if you live in a very humid climate, and have had to fill (those) tires with hot/sweaty summer air, and do have severe temperature changes, there could be some condensation (and water formation) within your tire. End of the world stuff, no; but still a possibility (slight as it might be).

airboss posted: Finally got around to the winterizing. What a project!

C&C posted: Maybe not as dumb as it may sound; if you live in a very humid climate, and have had to fill (those) tires with hot/sweaty summer air, and do have severe temperature changes, there could be some condensation (and water formation) within your tire. End of the world stuff, no; but still a possibility (slight as it might be).
Great. Now I'm going to worry all winter about whether ice crystals have formed inside my tires, just waiting for a blowout to burst forth and stab me in the eye.

I winterize by pulling the heated gear lead from its’ hiding place, and putting on the big shield. Now all I need is a hula-girl dash ornament and a way to attach it to my dash that won’t permanently mar the dash.

I don't understand this "parking the bike for winter" concept here in the Seattle/Tacoma area. It rarely snows or freezes and when it does go below freezing it's usually dry so there's no icy roads. So no need to winterize the FJR.
smile.png

In truth, I do understand winterization because I used to never ride in the rain and kept my bikes looking pretty. At around the time I bought the FJR my mentality switched to "this bike is a tool to be used." I bought some waterproof and heated gear, quit washing the bike and started riding daily. It's incredibly freeing! As an added bonus, people think you're crazy when you're riding while temps are in the teens.
crazy.gif

Figured the best way to develop my riding skills is to ride more and under different conditions - even when it's inconvenient.

Bought some waterproof riding overpants and a 4-seasons hi-viz jacket. Ride in the 40s and with some rain - just not during torrential rain days or with black ice about.

Again, great to be in the PNW as we can ride most of the year - even if it's just between the rain drops and during sun breaks!

Yeah, San Diego would be awesome.

I change the oil & fill the tank with ethanol free premium gas - with a healthy dollop of Sea Foam or Stabil, the ride it for 50 miles to make sure the stabilized gas is right through the system, then I run the bike with the gas taps turned off to get all the gas out of the carbs ( on the bike with gas taps & carbs..) then I spray the chrome with WD40 and hook up a Battery Tender. I do this for both of my bikes and have never had a problem in the spring.

Latest posts