Wireless communication

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love to have a unit that is wireless. . . God knows that I am always watching the pillon rider get off the bike and forget to unplug. URGH!

But, this unit does not have stereo sound, and someone else on another bike/helmet has to have the same unit so you can talk to them. I think those items are important. Not like you can just hook up a Walkie-Talkie to it. (as far as I can tell)

Also from my experience BT can only link up to 1 item at a time. Not cell, GPS, iPod and other rider all at once.

If those are not important to you, than game on.

Great, let us know! I need one but its also needs to work on my wifes C2...so far none seem be able to attach-work with that type of helmet :angry2:

Cary

Great, let us know! I need one but its also needs to work on my wifes C2...so far none seem be able to attach-work with that type of helmet :angry2:
Cary
It comes with an adhesive mount as well.

------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.myblueant.com/interphone-motorbike-helmet-kit.htm

I purchased 2 of the headsets last week and they arrived Tuesday. I finally had a chance to sit down and fiddle with them yesterday. The manual says it takes about 4 hours to charge from dead and it took just over an hour for each of them out of the box. The installation couldn't be easier. It basically consists of a plastic clamp. One side slides between your liner and the shell and the other on the outside. My Scorpion helmet allowed easy access to this area but my wife's icon was glued so I had to pry the lining apart from the shell in that area. Just an inch or two, nothing big.

Once mounted, you stick the attached velcro (soft side) into the earhole area of your helmet. The earpiece attaches to the Velcro which also holds the mic boom. I was able to easily pair it with my Bluetooth phone (you can pair up to 5 devices) and took a test ride while talking to my wife at home. At about 80mph she said she was hearing some wind noise but it wasn't bad...like someone in a car with the windows down. I could still hear her clearly as well. The windscreen was at the high position at this point. I have the GIVI windscreen for the FJR which has significantly better wind protection than the stock screen. With the screen all the way down, 80 was a little too much noise for good communication but 65 was ok. Depends on your height/windscreen/helmet etc. I guess. Also, the mounting of the speaker is important. It should be inline with your middle ear. If mounted higher or lower it could impact your ability to hear it well. Most helmets seem to have a small ear space so it's not all that difficult.

Then, I paired the second headset with the first and attached it to the wife's helmet. We took a quick test ride and they worked great. I was actually outside on the bike waiting for her and she had to run in the house to get her gloves and we chatted the whole time. They are supposed to work in a 500 ft span but I haven't tested that yet.

There are volume up/down buttons that are easy to use. Once you set the volume, it is supposed to adjust as ambient noise increases but I didn't really notice it doing so. You can also set (before you ride) the volume settings to low power or high power. I set both to high power because it offered higher volume levels. I'm not sure if it affects battery life or not. The volume can be turned up loud enough to be intolerable so I'm guessing that wearing ear plugs would work out ok.

The earpiece comes right out when not in use and unplugs from the unit. The unit comes off of the mount rather easily (with the helmet off and bare handed). The provided ac adapter plugs into the same port as the mic (kinda looks like an s-video plug).

All in all, it was very easy to set up and use. Although I haven't given it a long ride test, I have no reservations about it’s performance and for the price I don't think you can beat it. I won't go into all of the features (you can read it on the product site) but the full duplex voice mode is great...no one way conversations without a way to interrupt.

I bought mine from ebay (link below) which was the best price I could find for a set. I got them quick and it was a good sale so I would recommend the seller.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-BLUEANT-I...1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the excellent writeup! Time to order one. Got 2 for $269.54 delivered!!

Cary

I just got a catalog from J&M when they returned my JM-CB2003-DU (for sale right now, see it here). They have a bluetooth stereo helmet setup new for this year, that looks fairly promising, but expensive. Take a look at it here.

-wr

This Blueant looks perfect, except for the one earpiece. I wish it could play the music from my zumo. The zumo contols the Cell perfectly, and uses volume adjustments in the correct spots for direction commands, cell, music. All this unit needs is another ear piece.

Does anyone know what device would have bike to bike as well as a pair of earpieces?

I just got a catalog from J&M when they returned my JM-CB2003-DU (for sale right now, see it here). They have a bluetooth stereo helmet setup new for this year, that looks fairly promising, but expensive. Take a look at it here.
-wr
Holy crap, Batman! $329 for each headset? :blink:

Man, you'd better like talking to people real lot to justify those things...

-wr
Holy crap, Batman! $329 for each headset? :blink:

Man, you'd better like talking to people real lot to justify those things...
Yup, J&M is pricey. The way I read it, the pillion can use a regular J&M and plug in to the rider helmet. Rider was bluetooth to bike. Still expensive, I'll have to tolerate a cord.

-wr