would I be nuts?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfuzz

Reaction score
There's an '06 with 75,000 miles on it for sale near me. It's in my (low) price range.... - Assuming it's been well-maintained should I be concerned about buying an FJR with 75,000 miles on it? I'm a VFR guy and I don't know that much about FJR's; just what I've gleaned here. Let's hear your advice.

Depends..... price? Farkles? I'd be more concerned that it's a Gen II. :rolleyes:
I'm not so concerned about the price as I am just ignorant of the longevity of these bikes. I've never had a bike with more than 25k on it so I guess I just want to know if an FJR with 75K still has plenty of life left in it or is it a ticking mechanical time bomb? Generally speaking of course.

If the Feeje has been Maintained (well it already has 75K) you should get another 75 out of it.

They are a mile eater. There are alot out there with over 100k and still going strong.

Yup...There's lots over the 100k mark, and at least one over the 200k mark. If taken care of reasonably well, they'll last a long time.

There's an '06 with 75,000 miles on it for sale near me. It's in my (low) price range.... - Assuming it's been well-maintained should I be concerned about buying an FJR with 75,000 miles on it? I'm a VFR guy and I don't know that much about FJR's; just what I've gleaned here. Let's hear your advice.
This might answer your question: CLICKY

Note: Almost 38K at present

Dave

Well I do not worry about so called high millage on a bike most modern engines will run for a long time as the enginering and manufacturing that goes into them has improved so much since the early 1970's it's not funny.If you are realy look at a higher milage vechicle , look more at the owner because that will tell you a lot as to how he keeps a vechicle . Be prepared for a few things to fix as with any second hand vechicle.You will find an FJR a great bike that will run for a very long time and put a smile on your face every time. If you look at in another way if you buy right but not like it you can always sell it for about the same price ,so what can you realy loose maybe $ 500 after all that's only if you do not like it.

Don't know if this helps but 2 years ago I bought a stock 2003 with 6k on it. I kinda wish I would have spent the same on a high milage bike with more farkles.

I am at 21k now without a hiccup, and as the previous poster said, there are a bunch of people with 100+

My personal motto on buying used stuff is to look at the owners house and other toys. If everything is clean, organized, and relatively new, than they probably had the money and motivation to maintain things.

My 2005 has 78K on it and I wouldn't hesitate to take it cross country tomorrow. I fully expect it will go another 75K with only routine maintenance. No problem. The FJR is a very durable bike. As others have noted, try to get a sense of the previous owners dedication to service. If you think it is well kept for, go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the one in metro Seattle that's been on / off for sale recently? If so, sounds like the guy commutes with it daily. Ditto everyone's comments...if the bike has been cared for and maintained then it's worth a look. There could be a lot of miles left in it.

--G

I have 102,000 on my 2006A and it is running great. Two valves adjusted in it's entire life and the valves checked perfect at the 100,000 inspection. I ride it 100+ miles a day and would have no problems heading across country. I'm planning to put 150 to 200K on it and then buy a Gen 3 in a few years. It seem like most FJR folks take good care of their equipment. I know I keep full maintenace records and use all synthetic oils. Maybe there's another nerd like me that has the FJR's life all recorded for the next owner.

Good luck,

Seems like it is a buyers market these days. There are alot of bikes out there with a lot less milege and good deals. Why buy a bike that is half done? My 05 is comming up on 30k. I have had it almost 3 years. I like having a lot more left. Just saying.... look around... you can find a lower milege bike if you are patient and willing to travel. The ride home will be worth it!!!!!

Seems like it is a buyers market these days. There are alot of bikes out there with a lot less milege and good deals. Why buy a bike that is half done? <snip>
JB's right about that; I wouldn't be afraid of the mileage, but with the prices of low mile bikes, I'd only get the 75k one if it was dirt cheap.

As always - YMMV - IMHO - ...

Okay, I just got back from checking it out. 2006 model, 75k miles, original 58 year old female owner, bone stock, comestically pretty good condition, a few minor scratches/normal for age & miles, seems to run perfectly, fluids all look good, idles smooth, no weird sounds. All service records/receipts/recalls since it was purchased new in '06 meticulously kept in a manila envelope. She seemed very knowledgable about the bike based on the information I've gleened from lurking here; a real enthusiast seemingly. $5200.

Seems pretty good to me....

DONE!!!

Made the deal and hopefully I'll be on the forums here for fun not out of necessity.

Now I just have to sell my VFR before the wife realizes how I paid for the FJR. *crossing fingers*